The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 19, 2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Sea Buck

CMMG AR 15 lower ?

A buddy wants to sell me a lower mfg'd by CMMG. I have little knowledge of the company and looked up their web site. Does anyone have any actual experience with a CMMG mfg'd component and attest to their quality or lack of it?
Old June 19, 2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Ibmikey

CMMG Excellent quality...would depend upon price to see if a good value.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Sea Buck

Thanks for your reply. His price is $350, it's NIB. Sounds like a decent price to me.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:12 AM   #4
globemaster3

IMHO, $350 is high for a complete CMMG lower. Take a look on Gunbroker to see what the lowers are going for from DPMS, Bushmaster, Olympic, etc to get a gauge on the market. Avoid looking at the upper level guns (Noveske, JP, Knight, etc) as the quality is not equivalent.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old June 19, 2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Quentin2

Over the last few months I've seen a few reports of CMMG lowers with problems, mainly a tight magwell. As with anything, check it out before buying. See if PMAGs, USGI and various other mags will lock in and drop freely.

Also, why does he want to sell it? And what parts were used to finish the lower. Milspec or commercial tube?

Personally, too many question for that price. You could put a lower together for that using really good parts. Plus a MOE grip and stock.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Technosavant

I have two CMMG lowers. Of all the lowers I've used (Aero Precision, Spike's, Superior Arms) I'd take CMMG or AP over the others. Magwells were NOT tight in them... in my experience the Spike's are the tightest by far and the SA next so. The CMMG takes everything I have, even dropping first gen Pmags freely.

$350 for a complete lower is not a great deal but it isn't a complete ripoff given how tight the AR parts market has been. If it's $350 for a stripped lower I'd keep looking- that's WAY too much.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Ifishsum

I built my 20" match rifle on a CMMG stripped lower - all parts went together perfectly and I've had no fit issues with any magazines so far. It's 3-4 yrs old if that makes a difference.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Mike40-11

I have an 18" LMT upper on a CMMG lower. Built with a DPMS part kit, went together fine. It's about 5 years old, no issues. PMAGs, GI mags, and Tapcos all fit fine.

When I built it I paid $125 for the lower and $60 for the parts kit, IIRC. Last December I would've called $350 high but right now.....that's not too bad given the tight market.
Old June 19, 2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Quentin2

Are you guys saying don't bother checking it out before buying it. Just because it's CMMG? I look at a lower closely and at least try a PMAG in the well before buying. Even without the mag catch installed you can tell if the magwell is tight.

Of course you can't do that buying online but this one is FTF.

Still, all that is moot - $350 is way too much for a basic lower. PSA recently had a complete lower with basic M4 stock for $200.