The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1
barefoot

A new (to me) 870 followed me home

I just picked up a companion piece to my for-home-defense 870. A used 870 express w/26" vent-ribbed barrel, also in 12 gauge. In the same rack was a used Wingmaster - a little older, but very pretty with a glossy blued finish and glossy furniture, too, but she had a fixed full-choke barrel, so I opted for the express with the removable choke insert.
The clays and doves probably have nothing to fear just yet, but I'll be doin' my homework!
Now I need to get a swivel set installed for a sling. Anything I need that I haven't thought of?
Old May 18, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2
lamarw

Congrats~ As you already know, the 870 is a good solid gun.

Why are you wanting a sling on it? I have a sling on my HD shotgun, but none of my other scatter guns.
Old May 18, 2011, 05:53 PM   #3
barefoot

Because I have this cool camo sling already!

And it's just easier to carry from the truck to the range/field/whatever.
Old May 19, 2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on your new Toy/tool. I've had good results from the Uncle Mike's stud sets for the 870. And Brownells sells a nifty jig for getting that stock screw in straight.

Slings are a great accessory, and not just on "Serious" shotguns. Imagine carrying out 3 dozen decoys, and a couple mallards, while your hunting buddy carries out an aging Lab with more heart than legs or lungs...

About half the shotguns here have QD studs and there's a carry strap with leather loops for the others.

OTOH, while my "Serious" shotguns are sling capable. they are not so equipped inside. Just something else to snag......
Old May 30, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Quote:
Why are you wanting a sling on it? I have a sling on my HD shotgun, but none of my other scatter guns.
I'm wondering why you'd put a sling on your HD gun. I have a sling on long guns that I carry in the field. But I think that a sling on cqb gun would just be a handle for a bad guy to grab. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:51 PM   #6
lamarw

Deleted - Double Post.

Last edited by lamarw; May 30, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:57 PM   #7
lamarw

Very Good Question - In an attempt to answer your question. The HD gun I have is a Mossberg 8 shot pump with a 20 inch barrell. It was a used LE gun, and came with the swivels.

The only reason I put the sling on was because of the presence of the swivels. Otherwise, I would tend to agree with you for close-in encounters. I have a .45 as my bed-side by home defense weapon (inside the house), but I have a lot of acreage around me, and If I hear someone out around my boats or around my dock, then it will be the shotgun even with the sling. I also have other hand guns in other rooms to include both levels of my house.

I have three part-time neighbors, and I keep an eye on their lake homes.

My two dogs and I have kept our area of the lake safe and without a single theft for four years now and counting. Every worker or service person who enters my home sees evidence of my home protection. They also know I am a Nam veteran.