The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
RedBowTies88

SAFETY RECALL: Caracal "C" Unfixable. New Recall Information Within.

In case any owners here have yet to see the news.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...tols-recalled/

In regards to every "C" model pistol they've ever produced.

"The safety issue(s) with the Caracal C cannot be fixed according to information released by the company. No guns will be repaired and/or repaired to the purchaser. Caracal is offering a full refund of the original purchase price or vouchers for other Caracal products."

Last edited by RedBowTies88; September 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old September 9, 2013, 12:19 PM   #2
TunnelRat

You should add something to the title to indicate that this is new information in regards to the recall.

As to the information itself, wow. I have never heard of a recall like this where the manufacturer states there is no possible fix and all firearms must be returned. Idk how a company recovers from news like this.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 9, 2013, 12:33 PM   #3
MLeake

Posts from a Pakistani member, in a thread closed as drive-by for lack of OP commentary, linked to other fora with threads on shooters who received concussions and facial injuries when slides broke on their Caracal pistols.

Accompanying photos showed intact barrels and frames, so damage did not appear to result from overcharged rounds, but looked more like slide failures.
Old September 9, 2013, 12:38 PM   #4
SHE3PDOG

I was seriously considering getting one of these, but decided against it because of how new and untested they are. I suppose I made the right choice. The product seems like a good concept, so I hope they can recover from this.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old September 9, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Posts from a Pakistani member, in a thread closed as drive-by for lack of OP commentary, linked to other fora with threads on shooters who received concussions and facial injuries when slides broke on their Caracal pistols.

Accompanying photos showed intact barrels and frames, so damage did not appear to result from overcharged rounds, but looked more like slide failures.
Wow, that is scary. There's no recovering from that carelessness. Most gun manufacturers that have had recalls, were minor parts. Caracal just let out a major mistake with guns that cause catastrophic failures.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
TunnelRat

This is a bit of egg in the face to the firearms media industry as well. After its Shot Show premier people were raving about these pistols. From hero to zero in a relatively short amount of time.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
After its Shot Show premier people were raving about these pistols.
Well, they were good shooters, and they appeared to be reliable at the time.

That said, this is going to be a huge monetary layout for them, and I don't know how long it will take market perception of the brand to recover.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
don't know how long it will take market perception of the brand to recover.
Well seeing as bad news seems to spread so much better than good news, I think it will be a really long time to never for most people. A RSA on one brand shut people away from it, imagine catastrophic failures that result in injuries.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:45 PM   #9
TunnelRat

If you notice on that article there is a link at the bottom to information about Caracal's new line of pistols:

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...s-pistol-line/

Very similar with some cosmetic differences and an obvious change to the names (they didn't want to draw connection to the flawed originals?). I like how this article mentions "improved safety units". By that I assume they mean ones that actually work?

I actually thought they might be pretty neat pistols after a few years of good reports behind them. Maybe they can still recover, but I have some doubts.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:50 PM   #10
zincwarrior

I would never buy an item from a company that started out product like this. There are too many reliable OEMs in the market. Having one that could potentially put me in the hospital is not "a competitive advantage."
Old September 9, 2013, 01:58 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
As to the information itself, wow. I have never heard of a recall like this where the manufacturer states there is no possible fix and all firearms must be returned. Idk how a company recovers from news like this.
Vektor (a South African manufacturer) did that. That was decades ago.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 9, 2013, 02:21 PM   #12
gav1230

Ouch. I was actually interested in those guns. I can't see them recovering financially after this.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Coach Z

Bummer

I was a fan of the designer and sawthis as an evolution of the steyr that I had. I'd really wanted a caracal. Oh well guess I'm better off without it.

I too am very curious to see how the company fares in the modern age of instant information and the backlash they are likely to face.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:52 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

If I had one, I would hang onto it as a curiosity just because I have a thing for clunkers. Those would not be the first auto pistols to have slide/bolt breakage. It happened with some after market slides for the 1911 and with bolts in a few C-96 Mausers. And a shooter who forgot to install the key in the old dual link Colts could get a rather nasty reminder of his error.

Jim
Old September 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #15
ShipWreck

Quote:
If I had one, I would hang onto it as a curiosity just because I have a thing for clunkers. Those would not be the first auto pistols to have slide/bolt breakage. It happened with some after market slides for the 1911 and with bolts in a few C-96 Mausers. And a shooter who forgot to install the key in the old dual link Colts could get a rather nasty reminder of his error.
Yea, in 20 years - it might make for an interesting piece... Good idea.
Old September 9, 2013, 03:20 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
As to the information itself, wow. I have never heard of a recall like this where the manufacturer states there is no possible fix and all firearms must be returned.
As mentioned earlier, the Vector CP1 was one such pistol. They were recalled completely back in 2000, with refunds paid to owners. I wonder if these Caracal Cs will be collector items one day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vektor_CP1

Personally, I never had an interest in these Caracal pistols due to the fact that there were other similar (but superior and more proven) designs available when they came out (such as the Walther PPQ, S&W M&P, and FN pistols).

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 9, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old September 9, 2013, 05:47 PM   #17
RBid

Caracal "C" Unfixable. New Recall Inforation Within.

Recalls happen. IF they can survive this and get moving in the US market, I think their 'C' size frame has the potential to be the G19 killer. It's basically a hybrid PPQ + G19. Again, if they can work through this.
Old September 9, 2013, 05:49 PM   #18
MLeake

I see it as more of a Steyr hybrid. I have not heard of this happening with Steyr pistols, though.

(IIRC, same engineer designed G19, Steyr, and Caracal)
Old September 9, 2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Frank Ettin
Staff

Too bad. Saw them a few years ago at SHOT and thought the ergonomics were very good.
Old September 9, 2013, 05:58 PM   #20
Uncle Malice

WOW. That's interesting. I heard that one of the primary designers of the Glock was also behind Caracal(not sure if there's any truth to that)... so I would have thought it was a robust design. It was certainly interesting and I would have liked to give one a try but never found one at a local shop and wasn't confident enough to just order one online.

Seems to me, the only way to recover from something like this would be to actually change the company name... caracal is going to be forever tarnished, I think.
Old September 9, 2013, 06:10 PM   #21
cmdc

That really bites. I have an F that was recalled and replaced. I also have a C. Really like the guns. The new ones look interesting. I'll give em another shot.
Old September 9, 2013, 06:14 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I heard that one of the primary designers of the Glock was also behind Caracal
It was Wilhelm Bubits, who designed the Steyr M and S pistols. He worked for Glock for a time, but I don't think he was behind the actual design.
Old September 9, 2013, 08:32 PM   #23
HKGuns

I can't say I am the least bit surprised, nor do I understand the desire to throw money away on a company with little to no established track record. On top of that factor in where they are based and it all added up to a big zero interest from me.

I politely kept my mouth shut during all of the gushing over the Arabic swooped gLoCk and was proven correct.
Old September 9, 2013, 09:05 PM   #24
TXAZ

So is there any Official info on the specific problem from the manufacturer?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 9, 2013, 09:15 PM   #25
Psychedelic Bang

I don't think they can work through this. Even with a rebrand it would be difficult. The world is a very funny place, and a gun recall like this is not easily forgotten. We are not talking about Coke Zero, or Pepsi Tab.. We are talking about a weapon with such an extreme fault that each one in existence is being declared "no fix."

Bad, bad, news...

I looked at their website several times over the last few months. I might have considered a product from them in the future. Not any more. I wouldn't trust anything in their line.