The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 30, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1
BamaMac54

Picked up a Mossberg 100 ATR

...on a whim at a gunshow in .30-06. Acing never owned one I was hesitant, but I can't say just how happy I am after sighting it in today. Smooth, light recoil, and a tack driver! Extremely pleased.
Old October 30, 2013, 07:37 PM   #2
steveNChunter

I've heard great reviews on the ATR 100, and then I've heard some that weren't so good regarding accuracy. I would guess it has a lot to do with how secure the action is in the Tupperware stock, and how much the barrel is touching the stock. I'd imagine there's not the best QC on those stocks. But at least Boyd's makes laminate stocks for the ATR.

Sounds like you got a good one. It's getting harder and harder to find a new rifle that (except for the inevitable bad apples) doesn't shoot great by the standards of just a few years ago.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3
BamaMac54

Mine was dead on, for my skill level (intermediate). 1" groups at 100yards, and only took 9 shots to get on target. I did need to tighten the stock screws before taking it out, and the stick fit was average, but I'm ok with that. Strongly considering a Boyd's thumb hole.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
steveNChunter

A Boyd's and a glass bedding job would likely tighten those groups up. MOA isn't bad at all for a "cheap" rifle
Old October 30, 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
BamaMac54

Pardon the noob question, but could you explain what a glass bedding job is, and also MOA? I see it a lot and am tired of wondering lol
Old October 30, 2013, 09:29 PM   #6
steveNChunter

Sure. MOA stands for minute of angle.

Without getting into a semi-confusing math equation, MOA when referring to group size is 1" @ 100 yards, 2" @ 200 yards, 3" @ 300 yards and so on.

So theoretically if your rifle shoots MOA groups, it shoots 1" groups at 100, and it will shoot 3" groups at 300. But many other factors usually keep it from working out that way.

Groups should be measured from center-to-center of the two shots furthest away from each other. Five shots is generally a "group" but I consider three shot groups to be a sufficient judge of accuracy for a hunting rifle with a sporter weight barrel.

Glass bedding or epoxy bedding, uses an epoxy adhesive applied to the inside of the stock, where the action sits, and then before it dries, the action (coated with a release agent) is dropped down in to the stock and held in place with moderate pressure until the epoxy dries. This creates a surface inside the stock that is true and fitted to the action, and will keep the action in place and prevent any shot-to-shot movement, which would degrade accuracy. This is sometimes done in conjunction with aluminum pillars in the action screw holes or even shims.

Boyd's sells bedding kits that work pretty good for about $30.

Guys who want to do a bedding job on the cheap use JB weld, and it seems to work pretty good as well.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
CarJunkieLS1

Congrats OP I purchased a 100 ATR a few weeks ago and there is my review of it on this site. I'm like you pleased with mine and it shoots right at MOA @ 100yds. For a cheap backup/loaner rifle I couldn't be happier.
Old October 31, 2013, 03:59 PM   #8
BamaMac54

Just ordered a Boyd's thumbhole stock. Stoked
Old October 31, 2013, 05:35 PM   #9
steveNChunter

Good call. Are you planning on bedding the action? That's something you might ought to get somebody to help you with the first time or it could get messy/sticky
Old November 2, 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
BamaMac54

Unsure yet. I'm not using it for microprecision, just utility, a little hunting and as a stow away. Got it on a FTF deal
Old November 2, 2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Duzell

i say listen to steve, i had but a boyds on my mosin and it increased the accuracy greatly even unbeded. plus its a quick install usually on those stocks with , micro fixings here and there
Old November 3, 2013, 04:03 AM   #12
dancanmc

ATR 100

Recently picked up a scoped ATR100 270 for $259.99 at Academy. The scope (unmarked probably Barska) was so out of focus I thought I was going to have to take it back but after running the lens out about 3/8" it finally came in clear. The bolt was a little tight at first but loosened up after 4 or 5 shots. Take care, the first round caught me off guard since the trigger was set under 2 lbs. Is easy to adjust but I decided I liked it. Needed a 3' target to find paper but after at least a full wheel up and left I found the sweet spot and was shooting 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 80 yds (farthest I can get in my back yard without shooting a neighbor). I normally shoot core lokt but the store was out so I ended up with some cheap 130 gr Monarch. Sore shoulder but extremely pleased with this rifle.
Old November 3, 2013, 05:49 AM   #13
Been there

Another thumbs-up on the Boyd's stock, I have 1 on my Savage 110, short action, .243. I haven't bedded mine because it's a hunting rifle , it reliably gives 5 shot groups well under MOA @ 200yds , simply screwed into the excellent Boyds stock.
Old November 3, 2013, 07:13 AM   #14
NHSHOOTER

Dont know about the mossberg but I have give a big thumbs up for the boyds thumbhole, put one on my M77 ruger and shrunk the groups by a good half inch and excellent to shoot. Drop in fit too... When I buy a new 223 it will have a boyds thumbhole on it
Old November 10, 2013, 03:58 PM   #15
BamaMac54

Got the Boyd's this weekend and it fits like a glove. Now, if Mossberg can deliver that trigger guard I ordered a week ago...
Old November 13, 2013, 07:43 AM   #16
RCPractitioner

I've been threatening to put a Boyds on my ATR, what trigger guard do you have to order and how much is it?
Old November 13, 2013, 02:18 PM   #17
BamaMac54

Call Mossberg and tell them what you need. It's about $25 total. Standard trigger guard and bolts.
Old November 13, 2013, 09:11 PM   #18
BamaMac54

I can assure you post-Boyd's the bad ass factor increases exponentially.
Old November 14, 2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Duzell

i say go thumbhole on the boyds stock a swell. i have the peper laminante on my mosin, changes it into a whole nother rifle in terms of performance. the recoil is evenly displaced along the stock

this is what my mosin looks like with nothing but the new boyds stock on it , not is it only functional, but very eye pleasing as well
EDIT(and get the extended recoil pad, they now offer, mine is a little to thin for my taste)

Last edited by Duzell; November 14, 2013 at 08:44 PM.