The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 21, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Socrates

Request for Obama to issue an Executive Order, banning import of assault weapons?

Quote:
Dems urge Obama to ban importation of assault weapons

Posted: Feb 19, 2009 11:25 AM

Updated: Feb 19, 2009 04:26 PM

MEXICO CITY (AP) - More than 50 U.S. lawmakers sent a letter to President Barack Obama urging him to enforce a ban on importing assault weapons.

The 53 lawmakers, all Democrats, say many such guns are later smuggled south to arm Mexico's ruthless drug cartels.

The ban was implemented under the administrations of President George H.W. Bush and President Bill Clinton, and the U.S. government can enforce it under provisions of the 1968 Gun Control Act.

But the lawmakers say in their letter that the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has quietly abandoned the ban in recent years. The ATF declined to comment.

The ATF estimates that 90 percent of weapons seized in Mexico come from sources within the United States. Mexico has long demanded that the United States do more to stop the flow of weapons south, and Obama has pledged to step up those efforts.

Congress included $10 million in the economic stimulus package approved last week for the ATF's Project Gunrunner, which targets gun-trafficking networks in the U.S.

Mexico's drug violence has rapidly escalated despite President Felipe Calderon's deployment of 45,000 soldiers across the country to fight cartels.
I'm concerned with a couple legal issues:

First does the Executive Branch have the ability to issue such an order, and, is the claim that they did it in the past correct?
My recollection was they did stop the importing of Norinco????

How fast could an executive order be issued and enforced?

How would you challenge such an executive order?

Other posters have said the stimulus package didn't have
any money in it for anti-gun? Is the above statement true?

This is a news story, and I'm wondering how accurate the information is?

Also, who are these 50 congressional members?
Old February 21, 2009, 08:26 PM   #2
vranasaurus

The ban on the importation of "assault weapons" is already on the books. The request is that the current law be enforced.
Old February 21, 2009, 08:34 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Isn't there some features "test" that the BATFE uses to determine whether a firearm is importable? Basically that it is of "sporting" purpose?

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 21, 2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Socrates, read this locked thread. If it doesn't answer your questions, shoot me a PM with the specific questions not answered, and I'll re-open this thread.
Closed Thread