The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 27, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1
iamdug

Mauser op...

Are you supposed to put the little safety lever in the back fully to the right to prevent the bolt from flying open upon firing a Mauser?
Old May 27, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Fully to the right is on safe and you should not be able to fire the rifle with the safety in that position. To fire, the safety is swung all the way over to the left; the mid-position (depending on the exact model of Mauser) may be a takedown position.

In any case, the safety does not prevent the bolt from flying open - the locking lugs at the front do that when the bolt is closed and locked down.

Jim
Old May 28, 2009, 07:30 PM   #3
iamdug

So then...

So the little lever in the back, when flipped all the way to the right doesn't let you pull the trigger besides not letting you open the bolt Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, duh, forgive me for my stupidity...
Old May 29, 2009, 07:50 AM   #4
PetahW

"Not knowing" isn't stupidity. We all had to learn, sometime - this is just your time, that's all.

Old May 31, 2009, 06:20 AM   #5
ksstargazer

iamdug, I had the same kinds of questions when I first started and I was twice your age and there was no world wide web (what you all call "the internet". Feel free to ask any question -you may get a wise-ass answer from someone but let it roll off and grow in knowledge. Humility is a virtue.
BTW, the mauser has a number of safety lugs on the bolt that prevent the bolt from "flying back". One of the most safe bolts out there.
Old June 1, 2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask and, as a result, lose an eye.

Jim Keenan is right, as usual.