The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Crestliner

.357 Mag. mid to low range loadings

Looking for some suggestions for starting loads & components. Interested in using some HBWC bullets for low penetration home defense loads in .357 (not .38) cases. I'm thinking about Unique maybe as a powder for this loading? Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!
Old May 18, 2008, 09:04 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

numerous published safe sources

Suggest using 'Cowboy' data; recommend starting with Alliant and Hodgdon data.
Old May 18, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3
joneb

I think a BBWC would be a better choice, pushing a HBWC to hard could cause the bullet separate leaving the skirt of the bullet in the barrel.
For WC in .38spl/.357 mag I like Bullseye and or W-231
Old May 18, 2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Yoosta B. Blue

I know you asked about loads using HBWC bullets with Unique powder. I've not loaded any .357 with that combination. But for what it's worth, I've been very pleased with the results of loading .357s using 158 grain SWC, powered by 6.7 grains of HS-6. (I recently bought a boat load of powder from a coworker, and the deal included a lot of HS-6. Thus, I am happy to see that I can use it for the lion's share of my handgun reloading.)

Happy shooting!

Yoosta B. Blue
Old May 18, 2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Crestliner

BBWC?

What are they? I know what a HBWC (hollow base wad cutter) is, but have not yet seen the BB designation. Thanks for input guys. I am NOT focused only on Unique or the HBWC's...just what I'm starting to look at. I appreciate all your suggestions. My main concern here is to start to develop a home defense load, that I can use and not have to worry about my bullets landing in my neighbor's couch! The basic WC bullet design should punch a severe enough wound track to negate further hostilities, should the unthinkable happen - heaven forbid!
Old May 18, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6
joneb

reloading 001.jpg
Old May 18, 2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Sevens

As the picture shows, BBWC stands for "bevel base wadcutter", and you'll often find them denoted as DBBWC, which is double bevel base wadcutter, a bullet that looks the same from either end, and can be loaded in either direction with no difference. The big difference between the bullets is that the solid wadcutter is typically a cast lead bullet, while the HBWC is a soft swaged lead bullet.
Jibjab is correct in that pushing a HBWC too fast can blow the bullet apart and cause real trouble.

If you are simply looking for a light load, there's lots of target load data available for 148 grain wadcutters of either type. Most folks use the standard W231 or Bullseye target load. For Unique, you can grab the recommended target load from Alliant's website.

You may be wishing to use these in .357 cases rather than .38, but I don't see any gain whatsoever in doing so, unless you simply have no .38 brass handy. If you have any designs on pushing wadcutters much faster with .357 brass, I'll tell you right now that you'll lead up your barrel in short order, and that's no fun at all. (been there, done that, regretted it immensely)
Old May 18, 2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Tom2

I can see the desire to use the longer cases in the magnum chambers to prevent lead buildup behind the throat and it might even affect accuracy for the better too. I would use the light 38 powder loads with a hollobased wadcutter though. If you are talking solid wadcutters, like flat on both ends, you probably could load those up like they were semiwadcutters, although the bearing surface of the wadcutter is longer I think, thus creating more friction. So loads for SWC bullets might not be directly the same with the solid WC bullets. Start out below max then. I can't see that the SWC and WC bullets would have a great deal of difference in penetration thru walls, etc. loaded to the same MV. SWC has a little narrower nose and might have the edge there, but I don't see a vast difference. I have seen HBWC bullets loaded backwards for ersatz hollowpoints which might expand some and slow down penetration. Probably expand alot in soft targets if they are softer lead though. But it is just a guess without alot of ballistic testing. Like, at what MV will they come apart versus just expanding or riveting? Don't try to outdo some manufacturer who designs effective ammo in a million dollar lab. WC were designed for target work, and would make a clean caliber sized hole in anything that gets in the way, but as far as stopping power it is anyones guess. Maybe better than round nose lead but exactly how much better who knows?