The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 26, 2015, 11:28 PM   #1
Sorel366

Off duty cop gets shot with own gun

French cop witnesses robbery attempt. He tries to intervene but gets cornered. He then shoots one of the robbers with his service weapon Sig Pro 2022 9mm (french officers are armed). I hear that european ammo is +p by default. Probably ball ammo. He stays on the scene and tries to contact the police station with his cell. See what happens next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhpahXeGCVM
Old June 26, 2015, 11:36 PM   #2
Husqvarn

Kinda hard too see what is going on. Funny, SWAT team gets there and the partys over........bummer.
Old June 26, 2015, 11:42 PM   #3
Sorel366

They are actually regular cops. To me it looks like the off duty cop made a lot of mistakes. Not trying to blame him, I would probably not have fared any better. He got shot in the butt.

I uploaded a better version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxk...ature=youtu.be
Old June 27, 2015, 01:35 AM   #4
Limnophile

It looks like the cop should have been serious when he first drew his weapon (about 0:20?). He should have plugged a couple of non-compliant, violent thugs. I don't understand French. It sounds like the cop took a couple of shots when he and the two thugs were below the screen. That must be when one of the thugs was shot. What made him reholster his weapon has me befuddled. I assume cops must be on a very tight leash there.

The lesson I take from this is once you pass the threshold that allows you to shoot, quitting too soon can be a fatal mistake. The gendarme should have plugged both scumbags who took him south of the screen, and he should have never holstered his drawn gun with another bad guy on the scene.

He was lucky he was shot in his butt rather than the back of his head.
Old June 29, 2015, 12:54 AM   #5
raimius

He let a potentially hostile person get within half-arms length of himself and his sidearm after a use of deadly force. I realize a metro is a cramped space, but he should have kept everyone at bay, until back-up arrived.

...in other words, space invaders are dangerous!
Old June 29, 2015, 02:23 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I don't understand French.
It goes something like this:

Kids trying to mug an old man, off-duty intervenes, draws, thugs get in his face, 2 shots, one hit in abdomen, other two remain and one "calls" emergency services, other grabs policeman's gun and shoots him in the back.

Police arrive, arrest all, all charged with public affray, violence against an officer of the law and one with attempted murder.

What happened, happened, but after the first shots he should have kept the others at bay. I guess there was the shock of having shot someone and therefore wanting to help the kid, but still, those others were still on the scene.

So heart warming to see that when one of the friends is on the floor bleeding, all the other two can think about is getting even with the cop. With friends like that....
Old June 29, 2015, 09:45 AM   #7
Kosh75287

Quote:
To me it looks like the off duty cop made a lot of mistakes. Not trying to blame him, I would probably not have fared any better.
Someone was reading my mind when they wrote this. Never having been in law enforcement I am ALWAYS EXTREMELY hesitant to second-guess their actions without LOTS more information.

But it LOOKED TO ME like the officer let some things happen that I would have wanted to prevent, and which would have made me VERY apprehensive, had I been this officer.
I CAN understand the motivation to let certain items go, for fear of checking them and escalating the tension in the situation. On the other hand, if the first shot has already been fired, escalating things further by demanding that the alleged perps restrict their movement and increase their distance seems unlikely.

Seems it always comes down to "TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING".

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old June 29, 2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Glockstar .40

I know armchair quarterbacking is easy but it's Situations like this that some unarmed self defense training is important to have. You too may be in a scuffle and lose your firearm. Instead of running when he was disarmed he should have closed the distance and engaged the man with his hands and feet. He had another opportune time when he exited the train to turn around and engage the man as he came around the corner. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.
Old June 29, 2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Deaf Smith

Stupid is as stupid does.

Bet the Frenchie won't do it again.

Look on the bright side, his video will now become a training tool.

Deaf
Old June 29, 2015, 09:53 PM   #10
DT Guy

An important lesson we were taught as LEO's was that proximity =/= control; the advantage of a firearm is that it can kill at a distance, and surrendering that distance to an unarmed attacker obviates much of that advantage.

Lesson learned the hard way for the French officer, hope he's OK. Kudos for intervening off-duty.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old June 30, 2015, 06:32 AM   #11
johnelmore

Everyone wonders why the police do what they do in the United States. This video is a good reason why they do what they do and the reason why they are trained as they are.

It is truly about the officers safety. In any event, no one would get hurt by the police if they were simply compliant and obeyed the law.
Old June 30, 2015, 06:57 AM   #12
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
In any event, no one would get hurt by the police if they were simply compliant and obeyed the law.
That is a very BOLD statement. I think there have been enough cases in the press recently showing that being compliant is no guarantee you'll be unscathed.

Last month's 14yr female pool party attendee springs to mind...

There are certainly lessons to be learnt from the video, but using that as a justification for all police action is nonsense.
Old June 30, 2015, 08:50 AM   #13
TimSr

Quote:
Quote:
In any event, no one would get hurt by the police if they were simply compliant and obeyed the law.

That is a very BOLD statement. I think there have been enough cases in the press recently showing that being compliant is no guarantee you'll be unscathed
I would say "In any event, a lot less people would get hurt by the police if they were simply compliant and obeyed the law."
Old June 30, 2015, 11:06 AM   #14
Limnophile

Pond,

Thanks for the translation.

Quote:
Last month's 14yr female pool party attendee springs to mind...
The girl in question was, to my knowledge, a party crasher who was trespassing. She was not being compliant with lawful police orders.

Police brutality does occur, but not very often in most jurisdictions.
Old June 30, 2015, 01:23 PM   #15
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
The girl in question was, to my knowledge, a party crasher who was trespassing. She was not being compliant with lawful police orders.

Police brutality does occur, but not very often in most jurisdictions.
Fair enough.
I was simply putting certain blanket statements into question.

In the case of the girl, a drawn gun seemed a bit OTT, but then the officer's resignation at least showed it was not contested.
Old June 30, 2015, 02:06 PM   #16
JERRYS.

create space between you and the criminal. this didn't happen. the French even blur the image of the gun the criminal used to try to murder the cop.
Old July 1, 2015, 03:16 PM   #17
Limnophile

Quote:
Fair enough.

I was simply putting certain blanket statements into question.
Such statements are often easily falsified. A good rule to observe: Almost never use "never," and almost always avoid using "always."

Quote:
In the case of the girl, a drawn gun seemed a bit OTT, but then the officer's resignation at least showed it was not contested.
The cop did not draw his sidearm because of the girl. He drew it in response to being rushed by a boy who rapidly charged him from his right side while he was bent over in the process of detaining the girl. The cop never pointed his gun at anyone. I'll defer to TXans, but I doubt drawing his weapon was illegal, but it may well have violated departmental policy. However, whether it was a proper reaction to being rushed or not depends entirely on the cop's perception, and I saw no need for him to lose his job.

The boy who provoked the weapon being drawn offered a defense -- that his friend pushed him twice while running downhill. Perhaps that was a hill by TX standards, but I live near a montaine area, so it looked flat to me. I did see his friend contact him twice during the approach, but apparently without much force. Regardless, the cop would have had no way of knowing anything but that he was being rushed from his blind side.

I encourage you to find videos of the incident and watch them and analyze them carefully. It seems you, and most folks, fell hook, line, and sinker for the anti-cop, anti-gun grievance industry rabble rouser version of the story.

I'm well aware that my government is not my friend, but I'm not going to hang a cop out for doing his job under tough conditions.
Old July 2, 2015, 01:50 AM   #18
Glockstar .40

Spend a couple hours on youtube and you can see plenty of police brutality videos on individuals who are being compliant. Majority of officers are great but there is definitely a sudden rise in unjustified police brutality.