Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 20, 2011, 10:35 AM   #1
SifuGun

Instructions on how to fill out a 600/300 meter target card

got to this link :
http://orsahp.com/docs.aspx/

then click on this pdf:
300Reduced600SlowFire.pdf

I am new to competition shooting and would like to know how to use this target-scoring card. I know there are obvious boxes that can be filled out. But i am sure there is a right way to do it and a wrong way. If anyone has experience filling these out I would appreciate it.
Old March 20, 2011, 06:45 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Sifugun,
Is this an official score card for the match or something just for the shooter?
What you have is a page from a Data/Score book. These are the bible for competition shooters. Fill out the top part with information about the gun/ammo you're using. Conditions at the range [light,wind direction,etc.] Fill in the rifle dope in the Elevation/Windage box. How many clicks up, left/right etc.
The boxes with the circle is for your CALL. Put a dot to indicate where on the target you expect that shot to be. In the value box place the actual shot value once the target is scored. If the range has pits you will get a value and location for each shot fired. The big target is for the location of the shot. A lot of folks[myself included] put a small number which relates to the shot in the string. Keeping a sheet like this will be very beneficial as you can refer to it in the future.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 22, 2011, 01:22 AM   #3
SifuGun

Thank You for Your reply 4EVERM-14. It has shed plenty of light on the subject.

Thank You for Your reply 4EVERM-14. It has shed plenty of light on the subject.

I have re-quoted the reply with an answer to your question. And some more inquiries on my part, hope you don't mind.

Sifugun,
Is this an official score card for the match or something just for the shooter?

I will use this to practice my marksmanship. If I enter a contest I'll be that much more prepared.

What you have is a page from a Data/Score book. These are the bible for competition shooters. Fill out the top part with information about the gun/ammo you're using. Conditions at the range [light,wind direction,etc.] Fill in the rifle dope in the Elevation/Windage box. How many clicks up, left/right etc.

In the box that saids "Elevation Zero" and "Windage Zero" what would we enter there? Is the elevation zero box asking for the range in yards we zeroed the rifle, load, and scope at?

The boxes with the circle is for your CALL. Put a dot to indicate where on the target you expect that shot to be. In the value box place the actual shot value once the target is scored. If the range has pits you will get a value and location for each shot fired. The big target is for the location of the shot. A lot of folks[myself included] put a small number which relates to the shot in the string. Keeping a sheet like this will be very beneficial as you can refer to it in the future.

Why does each shot string column have a place for elevation and windage? Will the elevation and windage change for each shot? Or are those boxes there just in case we change the elevation and windage?

And the "MM/Sights" box along with the "Sights, E/W on" box have something to do with the "Diopter sight" used for This type of competition shooting. I will not ask for an elaboration on these. I guess if I enter a competition like these where all shooting is done with iron sights, I'll look into becoming an expert with the "Diopter sight".

Thanks again, I know these are a lot of questions. Please answer it the easiest way you can find. Maybe you can direct us to some info. on the internet that might be useful.

Sincerely,
SifuGun.
Old March 22, 2011, 02:48 PM   #4
4EVERM-14

Sifugun,
My advice is to just go shoot that first match. Have fun. You will then have a better handle on the info you need to write down.
[COLOR="black"]
Quote:
In the box that saids "Elevation Zero" and "Windage Zero" what would we enter there? Is the elevation zero box asking for the range in yards we zeroed the rifle, load, and scope at?
[/COLOR
]
Your gun should have a Mechanical Zero[MZ]. That is with the sights all the way down and centered. The elevation/windage zero on the sheet is the number of clicks from MZ for the distance you're going to shoot. On my gun I come up 7 clicks from MZ to shoot 200yards. So I would put 7 in the Elevation box, 0 in the windage box.
Quote:
Why does each shot string column have a place for elevation and windage? Will the elevation and windage change for each shot? Or are those boxes there just in case we change the elevation and windage?

You may have to change settings because of wind and this helps keep track of where you are.
Quote:
And the "MM/Sights" box along with the "Sights, E/W on" box have something to do with the "Diopter sight" used for This type of competition shooting.

Next to that is reloading information. Different ammo may have different POI. This box is a reference for the ammo your using.
A good place to look online would be ODCMP. Google that and spend the day browsing. Hope this helps.
Presidents 100
Old March 22, 2011, 06:50 PM   #5
SifuGun

Believe it or not, In all I have read about marksmanship, instructions from Scope manufacturer, etc. No one and i mean No one has mentioned "Mechanical Zero". Thanks for teaching me this.

Manufacturer has instructions on resetting the zero for the W/E turrets but they are not very clear. Now with Your information it all makes sense.

So, You can see how great your wisdom is to everyone reading this thread.
Old March 23, 2011, 02:56 PM   #6
4EVERM-14

Glad to help.
On some guns cranking the sights all the way down may not be prudent or difficult to do. MZ really needs to be a spot that can easily be found. Resetting the turrets on a scope for a known distance can be the same thing. Some type of reference that you can always go to as a starting point.
Presidents 100

Tags
competition , instructions , target