The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 18, 2010, 02:43 PM   #51
Eagleks

Walmart wants to get out of selling any handgun ammo. Period.
Old October 18, 2010, 02:50 PM   #52
tet4

Quote:
Heres an idea... stop being cheap and trying to save a dollar or two, and support your local gun stores instead.....
During the ammo shortage, many local gun stores (ours included) were going to walmart and cleaning them out and marking up $5-$10 a box. These were the same local gun stores are were raking people over on old sks and ak rifles because of the panic. The truth is that competition is good and I'm glad for every store in the area as that just makes it better for the customer (me). If walmart didn't exist, can you imagine how high the ammo prices at the other local shops would be?
Old October 18, 2010, 03:40 PM   #53
markj

Quote:
brass knuckles
I havent seen these sold anywhere, isnt it a federal for these nowadays?
Old October 19, 2010, 12:01 AM   #54
dogtown tom

Quote:
Eagleks Walmart wants to get out of selling any handgun ammo. Period.
So..........who's stopping them?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 19, 2010, 02:41 AM   #55
8shot357

Quote:
Eagleks

That's it, I'm getting a 9mm carbine.

I'd like to see you back up your statement.
Old October 19, 2010, 06:29 AM   #56
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

What do you save by going to Walmart? $5 a box? Maybe more, but assume that is what you save. I go to the range at least once a month, I shoot 200-300 handgun rounds. That's at least 4 boxes. So in a year, I shoot 50 boxes of ammo (Sometimes that number doubles). So I might save $250 by using Walmart. But I bought a Hornady LNL instead. It cost me $380 with shipping. Once you figure powder, primers and bullets (brass was free from my own shooting and pickups), consider that you are up to $600. Your costs could be higher but this should get you about the same number of rounds per year. Assuming that it cost you $750 for a year of Walmart ammo (@ $15 a box), you've saved yourself $150 and never had to buy anyone's stupid ammo! And next year you don't have to spend $400 for a press so you only pay $200 for what used to cost $750 at Walmart. Do you like saving $550 a year?

Some people say that reloading does not save any money, it just allows you to shoot more. This is true to a point. If I did not have the press, I would only shoot 100 rounds per trip and at Walmart, that would only cost me about $400. So yes, I save less money by shooting more but I'm still saving huge amounts of money, even over the course of 2 years. And in 20 minutes, I can pop out 50 rounds. 1 hour and 20 minutes gets me 200 rounds.

Everyone's numbers are going to be different but I shoot lead bullets and Berry's plated bullets. They are cheap and effective. You bump up to XTP's and your costs for bullets will easily double or triple for no real improvement at the range.
Old October 19, 2010, 08:24 AM   #57
mordis

I dont understand why it is so bad to want to save money? Thankfully for me right now my local is, as of this posting cheaper then walmart when it comes to range ammo. HD ammo is selling for $25 average.

Now in the interest of being open and fair, this particular gun shop got a major investment from one of the owners and directors of a MAJOR steal producing corperation. This guy brought in money and expertise. Thanks to his involvement he turned this barely profitable venture into one of the best gun stores in my area. Having said all that, i still look to save a buck and hd/sd ammo is still cheaper online.

I sincerely doubt if anyone will be able to beat online prices for ammo at any point in the future.
Old October 19, 2010, 02:18 PM   #58
larryh1108

Quote:
I would rather go to a local gun store, pay about a dollar more a box, and enjoy some free coffee and banter with like minded people if I am not in a hurry.
A buck more a box is worth it but here in IL my local shops (plural) sell the same ammo that WW has for $10/50 for $16/50. That's 60% higher or $6 a box of 50! buy 10 boxes and the difference is $100 vs $160. Yeah, I go to Walmart. If the locals wanted to keep our ammo business they would be more competitive. I'd rather sell 100 boxes at $2.50 a box ($250 profit over WM) versus 20 boxes at $6 ($120 profit over WM). If also leads to more sales of cleaning stuff, ears, eyes, range bags, etc if you lower the cost of ammo. Being fair to your customers brings in more profit dollars than being a pig and raping the loyal locals.

As for WM hiding ammo? I have a thought. Selling ammo is more involved than scanning a pair of underwear. I doubt the average pimply-faced teen can sell ammo legally and probably has no idea how to do it. I am guessing that a manager-on-duty has to ring up the purchase. In IL, the seller has to have a FOID card to ring it up so if the designated "ammo seller" is off and no one is there who can legally sell the ammo then they can't sell it. Also, usually the ammo is locked in a glass case and only managers have keys so if someone wants ammo this manager has to walk across acres of floor to unlock the case to sell it so I'd bet it's up to the manager on duty if there is ammo "avalilable" for sale or not. Walmart does not have tons of managers on duty so these people are stretched thin enough as it is. I am not justifying it just giving my observation of how this can occur. I also agree that employees "hide" ammo for "special friends" and that adds to the perceived shortage. Either way, if you don't wish to wait then you can always pay more elsewhere.

Also, Walmart ammo is located right next to the oil change dept and they always have coffee available. I always park by the service entrance, walk in the door and the ammo is right next to the auto accessories. In and out because they ring up ammo sales in the sporting goods dept as well. Quick and easy. Yeah, I'll save 60% for my ammo and not feel bad for the greedy gun shops at all.
Old October 19, 2010, 02:50 PM   #59
woody wood

here in the twin cities a few months ago,ive been to eagan and apple valley stores and both had plenty
of every handgun caliber.bloomington stoor does not have any ammo as that
store has had a "facelift" as most will be having done.
wallmart is changing to have most the stores -a grocery store.
mine store suck-mainly food and still always full of weird customers-i usualy stay away from shopping there anyways!

after this whole ammo "issue" the last year-i reload and now i dont know that
i would buy factory ammo,unless for self defense loads?
i do buy millitary surplus for some rifles that i cannot even come close in price to reload.
Old October 19, 2010, 03:16 PM   #60
orangello

If you don't feel you were treated fairly at Walmart, i would suggest contacting their headquarters to discuss it. http://walmartstores.com/7663.aspx

The local Walmart has had fluctuating stocks of the more popular calibers of handgun ammo, but they don't appear to be hiding it. I did have to actually go behind the counter and point at which boxes i wanted with one particular non-gun employee. I have had some employees limit me to three boxes per purchase (regardless of rounds per box), but this does not seem to be a universally-known policy amongst the employees. I would appreciate more variety in their brands of ammo offered, but the store is more about "stacking deep and selling cheap" than offering offerings from each and every manufacturer.

As far as supporting my local gun shop, i've been sad to see and to hear about the gouging going on at some of the local shops. The one i purchased my most recently aquired pistols at didn't seem interested in selling any quantity of ammunition beyond a "test drive" box to go with a firearm sale.
Old October 19, 2010, 03:28 PM   #61
spacecoast

I visit the ammo case at my Wal-Mart to buy .22LR (I reload everything else) on a pretty regular basis, or I walk by it to buy other shooting-related stuff. Supply of all calibers and types (casual observation, not scientific) seems to have improved greatly this summer over last fall/winter, although there was a significant (~10%) price increase a few weeks ago. Even at $18.57 per box of 550 .22LRs, nobody online sells it cheaper than WM (shipping included). Please let us know if you find it cheaper...
Old October 19, 2010, 03:47 PM   #62
pgdion

Interesting thought ...
You might think they're trying to spread it out between shipments but then from time to time they're should be some on the shelf. They can't be saving for a sale as they never advertise ammo.

Actually, I do get the impression that Walmart (at least in MN) would like to exit ammo. They've already exited out of firearms. One of the guys at my Walmart always thanks me for buying there. He says they (the sporting goods guys) are trying to keep the ammo counter open. MN Walmarts are kind of funny. I was in one down in Georgia this last summer and what a great sporting goods section they still had, like we used to have here. Sporting goods, Auto, and Hardware have all gone way down hill. Thank god for the new FleetFarm.
Old October 19, 2010, 06:29 PM   #63
dabigguns357

Quote:
I am guessing that a manager-on-duty has to ring up the purchase
Not true,anyone who has register numbers can make a sale.

Quote:
I would appreciate more variety in their brands of ammo offered,
i agree but but as a company they only deal with the big three(rem,fed,win)and i've seen some russian ammo latly

Quote:
Also, usually the ammo is locked in a glass case and only managers have keys
not true,anyone who works in sporting goods should have a set unless it's after 10 pm.

Quote:
Not true,our store and alot of other new stores are even going so far as to add reloading stuff.
Old October 19, 2010, 06:35 PM   #64
alloy

Bout two years ago around here they had a list of people wanting XYZ.
Peoples names went on ammo and it went under the counter. Cases/stacks.

The whole thing was a sham, with empty shelves and somewhat stocked under the counter for the select few. I raised some grief with a manager once after I tried to buy some of the super-secret stash for a new firearm and was told that I could play the list grovel ammo game, started reloading thereafter.
Old October 19, 2010, 06:47 PM   #65
larryh1108

Quote:
Not true,anyone who has register numbers can make a sale.
Not true. As I mentioned, in IL you have to possess a FOID card to sell ammo and you cannot get one if you are 16 or 17. You can't ring liquor if you aren't 21. Many states have these rules.

Quote:
not true,anyone who works in sporting goods should have a set unless it's after 10 pm.
Not true. I've waited many times, as much as 20 minutes, and had to come back several times because the manager-on-duty had the keys to the locked ammo cabinet and was at lunch or busy in another department even though the employee waiting on me worked in sporting goods.

I am sure that some Walmarts in gun friendly states have different policies but try to buy ammo in the close-minded states and find out how they watch that cabinet.

I live near 4 different Walmarts within 20 minutes of me. 3 of them have the ammo locked up but the 4th has it on an open shelf for anyone to grab. There is a sign saying you have to purchase it at the sporting goods counter. That store happens to be in an upscale neighborhood but if they worry about theft the thieves can figure out where to "shop".
Old October 19, 2010, 07:12 PM   #66
YARDDOG(1)

I've bought my share of ammo at wally world, stocked up & been saving Brass
So I'v got plenty of New ammo and a mess of primers & 8lb of Powder

I can make custum loads to suit my guns @ half the price of WW & won't run out for a few years & I'll continue to get supplies & Throw as much lead
down range I want to PS I do not forget the LGS that would buy WW out & add 75% They WON"T see a penny of my money, although there is some LGS that been Great & they get the Big$$ Sales ; )
Y/D
Old October 19, 2010, 07:58 PM   #67
dabigguns357

Quote:
in IL you have to possess a FOID card to sell ammo
This explains everything,you live in IL.Most normal states have more liberal standards with a much better success rate than IL.

I work for walmart and we don't normally hire 16,17 year olds.That said i'm in managment and any of our sales people who work in sporting goods (should,does) have a set of keys.You are correct when you say that ammo should,is only sold in sporting goods because it has to be(for the most part locked up)with exception of shogun target load and some random rifle rounds.

Most states trust people way more than IL and CA,nor do our states make us go through an act of God and congress or give up our first born to get box of ammo.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:05 PM   #68
Mr Lucky

Quote:
I work for walmart and we don't normally hire 16,17 year olds.That said i'm in managment and any of our sales people who work in sporting goods (should,does) have a set of keys.You are correct when you say that ammo should,is only sold in sporting goods because it has to be(for the most part locked up)with exception of shogun target load and some random rifle rounds.
Most of the Walmarts around here sell ammo and air guns. Only two stores within 25 miles sell Rifles and shotguns.

The ones I have bought ammo from keep some in a glass case but most is on shelves behind the counter.

One guy did not have a clue about ammo so he let me go behind the counter to look for myself. That is where I found everything I was looking for.

— Abraham Lincoln
Old October 19, 2010, 09:32 PM   #69
aryfrosty

Wally*World

The only ammo I ever got there was WW "big box" .45acp. I was stocking it because I was shooting a pot load of it then at the range. Went in once in 2004 and they were out, so I asked about it and was told they weren 't getting any more. I went back the next week and it was back. I spoke to the store manager and he very candidly said that the clerks were apparently trying to get out of bring it from the back until he spotted it on a trip through the stock area.

Tags
45 acp , ammo , politics