The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 28, 2007, 01:08 AM   #26
kgpcr

punching a guy with a gun pointed at you is silly. I am 6'3" 260 and spent my time in the Marines and i would not punch him. if you had to fight a guy with a gun throwing a punch will get you killed!
Smith M&P 40
Old December 28, 2007, 01:50 AM   #27
bushidomosquito

If you're a 6'3" Marine and you felt that you were about to be shot by a guy standing right by you, I imagine you would cave his face in at the first oppertunity. If not then perhaps that would be a job for the SEALs.

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old December 29, 2007, 12:02 AM   #28
Hardtarget

When you are alone you MIGHT do something. I'm not alone all that often. My wife is with me most of the time. A knee replacement and 50 plus years will not let her run far or fast. I'm not sure what I'll do but it will be over fast...'cause I'm not leaving her side.

Mark.
Old December 29, 2007, 03:39 AM   #29
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtarget
I'm not sure what I'll do
This is why I like to read scenario threads. I don't think the responses you get are directives chiseled in stone. It's advice, food for thought, a different perspective with a fresh pair of eyes.

Everyone has a view and an agenda. I know I have two slants to my agenda.

The first applies here. My belief is that if you quit learning you become a dinosaur. You will turn 'old' in the negative sense of the word. I'm looking forward to the new Gander store they are building right now because that facility will sell handguns. There are many firearms I read about here that I have never seen or handled.

The second aspect of my agenda is to correct your (the editorial "your") views on motorcycles and edged implements. For example, when I tell some citizen I ride customized Harleys, the common response is, "Oh yeah, I saw the movie 'Easy Rider' once..."

The same with knives. Not one person is one hundred knows squat about either choosing a knife or sharpening it. Even fewer know how to take care of one. Even the "knowledge" that is out there comes out of monthly magazines.

And since much of this is the stuff of fairy tales, so is the realistic discussion of knives as it applies to scenarios here in TFL. If you don't know 'jack' about a subject, how can you advise someone on vital information he might need to save his life?

And what if you tell him something that gets him killed?

And that is the real value of scenario forums. I know a little about knives, a gunsmith member knows info on the mechanics of firearms, a war veteran can give us details on how we react to stress, an MA sensei provides training in hand-to-hand fighting and TSR smacks me around in a debate.

With this info, we apply the concepts to safety and security issues in our private lives.