The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 8, 2013, 11:22 AM   #1
rotten mick

Where do you shoot/practice? club/range/field

So where do you go to shoot? How far? What would you drive farther for that you don't or can't do now?

I got lucky, my club is less than 15min away. Each pit is you and yours only. And has covered shooting area with picnic tables to rest/stage. Pits at 25,50,75,100 yards & rifle out to 600 yards. 3 trap throwers with byo clays. Two sheet houses port pottys all over the place and one of the few 1000 yard ranges for comp shooting.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2
glh17

Indoor shooting range/club about 5 miles from my house. Annual membership is around $300 including taxes.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:38 AM   #3
g.willikers

Rotten Mick,

Now, you're just bragging.
All we have is one decent sized, but none too clean, indoor range in town, about ten miles away.
They charge by the hour, around $15, maybe.
But I don't like shooting indoors - too hard on the old lungs.
Another one fairly close, is a county run, a very nice outdoor range, with lots of restrictions, about fifteen miles away - but only $12 all day.
There are also three private clubs, each about 45 minutes away.
Two are $100 per year, with plenty of restrictions.
And one of those is very difficult to join.
Another is $250 a year and a daily fee, but very few restrictions.

Which is why I practice mostly in my garage with airguns.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:43 AM   #4
allaroundhunter

About a 20 minute drive. 6 pistol bays, 2 training bays, 3 gun training area, and rifle bays at 100, 200, 300, 600, 800, 1,000 yards....

And then I can shoot 1 mile at an undisclosed location.

There is also a sporting clays course that is being out in that will be quite nice.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
MLeake

I just walk into our west pasture / hayfield, and have a 25 yard pistol and 100 yard rifle range.

For longer rifle practice, I could drive a half hour to a friend's place. He has at least a quarter mile (440 yards) potential rifle shooting lane in the area where he shoots.

During bad weather, or for events, I can drive about 20 minutes to the LGS range, which consists of three steel-lined-concrete-walled bays, each 22 yards. (They were 25 yards, but the new ventilation system and backstops took up three yards.)

The LGS charges $12 (or $9 for members) per day. One could pay, shoot for a while, go to lunch, then return...
Old September 8, 2013, 12:33 PM   #6
rotten mick

Not really. I've heard some people talk about what the pay for a range day pass and claim its only x feet or yards and have to buy ammo from the range. But when I tell them for a max drive from the other side of town hr max but really 40 minutes from most of the city, they cry " oh thats to far"

Just trying to see/ show what people pay and what they get for it. ( days used in a year membership or type of targets for a day pass or hourly pass vs. Going further to get more options)

Will not say I'm not lucky its close but also know i'd drive the 40-50 min across the valley to shoot if needed to be able if it was on the other side of town. Honestly was not meant to rub it in. But I am proud of the club and trying to get a few of the " it's too far" guys to see what other shooter do to find an nice area to shoot.

Now a little boast. Under $100 a year. Full auto, and up to 50 cal. Wouldn't you drive across town for that vs a 20-25 yard indoor that you have to buy their ammo?
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
SC4006

I do most of my shooting in my backyard range. I have kind of like a lane cleared out in the woods that are in my backyard, where I can get at max 150 yards out of it.

Sometimes I will also go to my local indoor range which is 10 miles away. It has I think 20 lanes. The cool thing is they allow pretty much everything with the exception of shotguns, tracers, and ap ammo, but other than that you can use pistols, rifles, steel cased, steel core ammo... You name it.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:43 PM   #8
RBid

Most of the time:

Johnson Creek Gun Club in Clackamas, OR. It's indoors, non-magnum pistol + .22LR only. Rickety, hand cranked carriers with hang clips that amount to garbage, and poor lighting. 10 lanes to use. You can shoot at no more or less than 50 feet-- the house rule is that all targets have to be all the way out to the back stop. There is also a rule about going no faster than 1/second rate of fire.

I love it there. IIRC, annual renewal was $170. I can bring my own rounds. Targets are available there on the honor system (push money into a slit lock box, take targets). The best part: key cards. I can let myself in and shoot on my own schedule, 8am-8pm, 365 days/year.

I've found ways to adapt practice moving + shooting, transitioning, etc very easily, because I'm often there at times where it's just myself and 1-2 other people. That leaves me free to set up targets on adjacent lanes, so I can do figure 8s or strafe side to side, bringing the pistol back to high compressed ready (still pointed down range, ALWAYS), and use multi-target sheets so that I'm transitioning while also moving.

I'd also like to say that most people don't know what a 1/second cadence sounds like, so that's easy to push.

When I shoot long guns with friends, or want to shoot at farther or closer targets:

English Pit in Vancouver, WA. I'm not a member there. They have a variable length pistol area and a 100 yard rifle area, plus a couple other areas that I don't recall (or really pay attention to).
Old September 8, 2013, 09:44 PM   #9
thallub

Most of my shooting is done at the Ft. Sill private weapons range, about 20 minutes away. i have a firing range on our place in Garvin county but its 76 miles from home.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:08 PM   #10
Reloader2

I have a shooting bench about 40 yards from my reloading room. Due to the lay of the land, the longest target is only 100 yards, but its sure handy for working up loads.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:23 AM   #11
sigcurious

I shoot at BRPC too.
Old September 9, 2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

A public range about 35 miles south of me.
A private club range about 15 miles north of me.
A commercial range about 20 miles north.
My club range about 40 miles north.
And, Oh yes , my personal range about 20 feet outside my back door.
Old September 9, 2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Revoltella

Private club about 20 minutes from me. 200 yd range, with a gong at 250. Billboard size target backstops at 50, 100 and 200 yards. Members have the code to get in, come & go as you please. 8 benches, covered, with ceiling fans. It's not uncommon I'm the only one there. $100/ yr dues. Dinner included at the monthly meetings.

We have about a 2-3year waiting list to get in as membership is capped, and not currently accepting new applications.

We frequently host hunter safety classes, rifle matches and bowling pin matches for pistol. We also have an annual wild game dinner and a fish fry. It's a great club.
Old September 9, 2013, 08:02 AM   #14
ak40

wild life club about 4 miles $60.00 a year and gravel pit about 3 miles free and
2 or 3 public ranges with in 15 miles
Old September 9, 2013, 10:08 AM   #15
buck460XVR

I too am lucky. I am a member of two small Rod and Gun clubs. Both have good 100 yard rifle and pistol ranges. Both are $20 a year for membership, within 15 minutes of my house and most times when I shoot, I am the only one there. I also have a nice range set up on my oldest son's land which is about 30 minutes away. We have two benches under cover and have targets between 40 and 300 yards. Some of the highest bluffs in the county are directly behind the targets so flyers getting out of the valley would hafta almost be intentional.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:19 AM   #16
motorhead0922

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleake
I just walk into our west pasture / hayfield, and have a 25 yard pistol and 100 yard rifle range.
Wow, that's a cruel post.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
TailGator

Currently I have an indoor range less than 10 minutes from my house. It isn't luxurious, but the people are friendly and they charge $10 per person. Targets and ammo are available at reasonable prices.

Before it opened a few years back, I had to drive about 45 minutes to a range.

When I was a kid we could go out in sand pits and shoot empty Coke cans and such, and only spend money on ammo. Different world now.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:20 AM   #18
RickB

There are four outdoor ranges within a 45 minute drive of my house, plus another three or four indoor ranges. That said, the last time I went shooting it was on a friend's property, a couple of hours from home. Out in the relative nowhere, we could have shot at 500 yards, if desired. I shoot mostly pistol competition, so the nearby clubs/ranges suffice for 90% of what I like to do.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:32 AM   #19
spacecoast

Depends on where I am.

In Florida (main residence), it's a 30-min drive to the nearest outdoor range ($10 for a daily pass). On Saturdays I shoot Bullseye at the local private club, but don't have a membership there.

In Pennsylvania (summer/future retirement home) I can shoot off my back porch at a target 180 yards away, but .22s only due to a (friendly) neighbor being fairly close and within earshot. More realistically it's a 140 yard .22 range. I can also drive a mile to the family farm and shoot anything I want out to 200 yards (sand/gravel pit). In addition, woodchucks are open season anytime due to their impact on farming operations.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM.