The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2004, 07:42 PM   #1
JerryM

Comp-tac Holsters ?

Anyone here have or have used a Comp-tac IWB or Paddle holster? What do you hink of it?

Thanks,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 28, 2004, 09:23 PM   #2
No4Mk1

My every-day carry holster is a Comp-Tac tuckable IWB. I like it so much I purchased another for my P7. I think very highly of the product. My only complaint (and it is minor) is that I tend to break clips about once a year, but they are easy and cheap to replace.

The tuckable works great for lightweight pistols, but I would not use it for anything heavier than a P7.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old August 28, 2004, 09:34 PM   #3
JerryM

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I prefer leather for IWB and the one I like best is the Sparks EX. I also like the leather pancake style holster, but sometimes a good paddle is more convenient to put on at the spur of the moment.
I have in mind the paddle for my Kahr P9. It appears to hold the gun close to the body, and should be stable with the paddle he uses.

I have faound that most 1911 holsters will fit the Kahr, but they are all too long for easiest concealment under the tail of the shirt.

I appreciate your help.
Have a good evening.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 31, 2004, 05:55 PM   #4
Spirex288

I had a Comp-Tac Gurkha for my Kimber ProCarry. It was nice and stable. Easy to draw (tension adjustable) and easy to reholster. Comp-Tac uses pretty thick Kydex to make their holsters. It's been over two years now. Don't know what construction is like now.
Old August 31, 2004, 06:53 PM   #5
JerryM

I ordered a Comp Tac paddle today, and they said it would be shipped this week. I'll post my impressions.
They sure were nice and helpful. I talked to Tammy and JB who makes the holsters and he was very helpful.

FWIW, they distribute Fox CS spray. It is one of the two or three best and maybe is the best from LEO reports.
I also ordered a holder for CS that snaps on the belt.

Jerry
Old September 2, 2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Spirex288

Well I received my Comp-Tac Gurkha IWB holster today for my Bersa Thunder 380. As usual, fit and finish is superb. Here are the pics..

Old September 2, 2004, 09:21 PM   #7
Selfdfenz

I have 3 of their holsters. They are very well make and I like the adj. tension system they use.

I bought all my holsters at gunshows from about one of the most helpful fellows you will ever run into.

BTW they exchanged one unit for me at 100% just because I wanted to try another model that rode the belt differently. How many comapnies will do that these days with holsters.
They will make new models as new model become available if you can get them one of the guns.

Excellent prespective on dealing with their customes and I will buy again.

S-
Old September 3, 2004, 07:12 PM   #8
JerryM

I received my Comp tac FBI Paddle today along with a holster for OC spray. My post on the day I ordered was the 31 Aug. Warp speed service. They are very nice to talk to and take the time to advise and help.

I am very pleased with both the holster and OC spray carrier.
From now on, if they have the holster I need that is where I will get it.

Jerry
Old September 9, 2004, 08:25 PM   #9
boing

I carry my Glock 19 in a Pro Undercover (single clip IWB). It's the best holster solution I've yet found for my needs. The clip hooks securely under a thick belt (I use Sparks). The holster has never come off in thousands of draw strokes, and it's reasonably stable. In IDPA, I've never had to think about getting a proper draw stroke on my gun...it's always just "right there".

The mag release button is completely covered by the holster body, and has enough room to install a factory extended mag release. I can put an extended release on my carry gun for use during competition, without have to remove it again for daily carry. It's a nice touch.

The sight channel is huge. The tension is adjustable. The gun doesn't rattle around in the holster. There are no sharp edges on it. The cant is right. It doesn't collapse on the draw...

I only have two concerns:

1)The clip is attatched to the holster by way of three spot weld points, visible inside the holster body (I emailed, and got a quick response). I don't know how strong these are, and if the clip breaks then it's back to the factory for repair or replacement. I'd rather see a user friendly replacement option, like Chicago screws or something.

2) The metal parts of the tension screws are showing some signs of rust on the side that rides against the body. Very stainless steel might be a better material here, but note that I never took any preventative measures against rust on these parts, and they're directly exposed to my caustic sweat.

Overall, excellent marks for a well thought out and executed holster.
Old September 23, 2004, 01:13 PM   #10
pbass

C-tac

Got a C-TAC for my Glock 17 with V-clips that I use with a Ted Blocker LFI velcro-lined belt. It adjusted to just the right angle and is lightning fast.