The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
JustinBiscuit

SLP Mark I vs SLP MK I Tactical

I am wanting to buy a shotgun for 3-gun and am looking for suggestions. It looks to me that the only big difference is the pistol grip however I noticed the MK I tactical is a bit lighter.

Any advice?

thx

The SLP Mark I is a rugged, fast-cycling semi-automatic shotgun with a more traditional stock design. The 22" barrel and 8-shot magazine make it ideal for practical competition, law enforcement and security duties.

Specifications and features:
Active Valve Gas system operation
Barrel Length: 22"
Overall Length: 43"
Height: 7.9"
Width: 2.4"
Length of Pull: 14"
Weight: 8.2 lbs. empty
Ammunition Capacity: 8+1 with 2-3/4" shells, 7+1 with 3" shells
Extended 8 round magazine tube
Crossbolt safety button on trigger guard
Matte black conventional synthetic stock with checkered gripping surfaces
Aircraft grade aluminum alloy receiver
Top mounted cantilever Weaver pattern accessory rail
Hard chromed bore and 3" chamber barrel
Standard Invector improved cylinder and standard Invector modified interchangeable choke tubes
Premium recoil pad
Two steel sling swivel studs
Receiver mounted bolt release button
Curved bolt operating handle
Extended magazine tube
Aluminum magazine tube cover
Low profile, adjustable folding blade rear sight and red fiber optic front sight

The FN SLP Tactical gas-operated semi-automatic shotgun offers a host of fitting and adjustment features not found in any other autoloader. The 22” barrel has high-profile adjustable sights and the Standard Invector choke tube system. The pistol grip stock has three interchangeable cheekpieces and three interchangeable recoil pads to adapt it to virtually any shooter, any clothing and any conditions.

Specifications and Features:
RECEIVER: Top-mounted cantilever Weaver-pattern accessory rail
BARREL: Hard-chromed bore and 3" chamber barrel
STOCK: Matte black synthetic Checkered gripping panels on forearm and grip Premium recoil pad Three interchangeable combs on pistol grip Two steel sling swivel studs
MAGAZINE: Extended magazine tube Aluminum magazine tube cover Forward-mounted MIL-STD 1913 Tri-Rail mount
SIGHTS: Low-profile, adjustable folding blade rear sight and red fiberoptic front sight
Receiver-mounted bolt release button
Curved bolt operating handle
Gauge: 12 Gauge with 3” chamber
Operation: Active Valve Gas System
Barrel Length: 22”
Overall Length: 43”
Length of Pull: 14.33”
7.9 lbs
Ammunition Capacity: 8+1 with 2-3/4” shells
Standard Invector tube included
Old January 14, 2012, 10:55 PM   #2
arizona98tj

I can't speak to the Tactical model as I only have the SLP Mk1. For the most part, do you prefer a shotgun with a pistol grip or not?

I noticed the Tactical comes with the tri-rail on the cover of the magazine tube. If that is important to you, note that it is about a hundred dollar option to get after the fact (or maybe even more now days).

There are a couple write-ups on my site regarding the Mk1. This one is about the shotgun and this one covers the EOTech sight I have on it.

My range buddy runs a Winchester SX2, which is the same shotgun as the Mk1. He adapted a pistol grip stock for his SX2 as he prefers that style. The write-up detailing how he did it is also on my site.

Last edited by arizona98tj; January 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3
JustinBiscuit

Thanks for the info and nice write up on the gun. I am going to order one just like yours tomorrow.

thx