The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 3, 2000, 09:50 AM   #1
WETSU

Just wondering?. Seems to be a lot of comparison between Blackhawk, Eagle, current USGI load bearing vest etc. Valid points are made by all concerning rugged construction and durability. My question is, how many NON active duty personel have actually done their hardest to field test these vests? I've seen what USGI "Ranger" vests look like after hard use-pretty worn out, torn, sewn up, missing snaps, sloppy velcro etc. It seems to be if nobody is ever going to come close to wearing these things out, the discussion of durability is a waste of time. Hard to wear these things out walking around the house doing tactical reloads and "shooting" at the TV. If you guys DO use them a lot, how do they hold up?
Old February 5, 2000, 06:52 PM   #2
Nyterunner

Never worn one out myself, but one of my teammates put his Blackhawk in the washer and dryer, and it SHRANK! This guy is about six-four, two-thirty, and the rig doesn't even come down to his waist anymore. hooty-hoo!!!
Old February 5, 2000, 07:23 PM   #3
STLRN

Never completely worn out my issue LBV, but a few years ago, after a couple years of use I had to replace it. In the time I had it I tore two snaps off, wore holes through the ammo pounches covers, broken 1 buckles. But since it was govenment issue I just went to clothings sales and bought a new one for $39.95
Old February 5, 2000, 09:26 PM   #4
mongrel66

i may be old fashioned but i still use deuce gear (lbe).I found that while being shot at, having to tuck to a side or rise up to access a mag was the last thing i wanted to do.i kept the front of my gear relatively clear of clutter, mag pouches to the sides and rear.I found this configuration also very helpful in navigating obstacles, rolling over walls, thru windows, etc.The vests look nice though.