The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2014, 05:17 PM   #1
IMightBeWrong

Anybody have a fairly new 870 Express?

I bought one back in around 2009 or 10. It was horribly unreliable. The action would bind up at the range constantly. It took a lot of time and money to get it reliable. During that time I know they were hit and miss and a lot of others had similar issues.

I've been considering another shotgun purchase, though, and I like the layout of the 870 controls. The other option is a 590 but I like the aftermarket for the 870 a bit more (I don't like the idea of a pistol grip/folding stock on a Mossy due to the safety location, just preference).

Any experience? Does anybody know if the issues with the Express model have been dealt with at all?
Old February 15, 2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Virginian

The only persistent issue I know of was the chambers were not as smooth as they could have been, and that combined with the cheap steel base ammo was trouble. I have also seen Mossbergs, Novas, and even a BPS being beat on the ground. Easily fixed in 10 minutes with a brake cylinder hone - or a call to Remington.
The newer Expresses appear to be a bit better finished in my opinion, but it is still an inexpensive pump.
Old February 16, 2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

I bought mine in 2010 and polished the chamber. I had two incidents where I had to slam it to unjam an expended shot shell and nothing after that.
Old February 16, 2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Pahoo

Old news and not always good !!

Quote:
Any experience? Does anybody know if the issues with the Express model have been dealt with at all
My list of issues is much longer than yours and if you do a historical search in here, you will see a number of threads pointing out the problems that "some" folks have had. Given all that, I think that they are still good enough to own and recommend. I really have no way of knowing, what Remington has done to resolve the problems. They are good folks and have always given good customer support. .....

Be Safe !!!