The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 23, 2013, 10:44 AM   #1
bpeezer

10/22 Selection

I am considering buying my first 10/22, and I am looking for a little help with selection. I am willing to put a little money into it, but the availability of accessories is overwhelming. I know that I want a stainless steel bull barrel and a laminate thumbhole stock, but everything else is getting away from me.

Would it be better to buy the cheapest 10/22 I can find, and put my money towards a higher end stainless barrel? Or should I buy one of the target models that already come with a stainless bull barrel? If I do buy a separate barrel, how difficult can I expect installation to be?

I am planning on getting the stock from Boyds for ~$100. For the rifle+stock+barrel I would like to stay under $700. Does this seem reasonable enough? Thanks for your help!
Old January 23, 2013, 11:10 AM   #2
CTS

Sounds like the best plan would be buy the cheapest one you can find and upgrade yourself. The barrel swap requires the removal of 2 bolts. Should take a whole 10 minutes if you take your time. If you are going for a target rifle you will probably also want to swap out the trigger assy, also pretty simple job.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:00 PM   #3
ckpj99

You just have to do the math on it. If buying the bull barrel separately saves you money go for it. A stainless bull barrel will run you about $150. If the difference between the cheap model and a target model at your local gun store is more than $150, just but the target model.

A cheap model is about $250, plus $150 for the barrel, plus $100 for your stock. And you're up to $500.

You need to think about your sights. If you want to run the stock sites that's fine, but you're probably going to want an optic of some sort. So $50-150 for that. Though, scopes can cost way more than that.

Extra magazines? Large capacity ones are out of stock everywhere right now. But the standard 10 rounders are at least $15 a piece depending on where you buy them. So you should consider that as well.

And drop in trigger assemblies are run from $150 up to $400.

So the short answer is yes, you should be able to get the rifle with a bull already or separate one and the stock you want for less than $700. But you can easily spend $1000 making a good 10/22 target gun.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
scottycoyote

im in the middle of a build as well, the options and combos are pretty staggering. Not being able to find a cheap 1022, im just buying the parts and putting it together as i go. Just didnt make sense to spend 250 on a gun, and in the end just use the receiver from it (if that).
Old January 23, 2013, 01:43 PM   #5
bpeezer

The math doesn't take into account quality I don't know how a stock ruger bull barrel would compare to a Lothar Walther bull barrel or a Volquartsen Custom bull barrel, and I have to assume that (based on the price difference) there is a quality difference there.

I already have a scope with some nice rings, but I don't have anything for the trigger assembly. If I start replacing all of that, could I just build one from scratch instead? For instance, would I be able to buy the trigger assembly, receiver, bolt, stock, and barrel and put all of that together to make a 10/22? Or is there some additional hardware required?

I don't intend to use the rifle for competition target shooting, but having high quality parts will put a smile on my face every time I get it out.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:09 PM   #6
CTS

You could buy it piece by piece but I think it would cost you more that way.
https://www.volquartsen.com/products...ement-receiver
http://www.hawktecharms.com/KIDD-10-...p/kid-10mt.htm
https://www.volquartsen.com/products...bolt-for-10-22
Now you just need a barrel and stock I believe.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
bpeezer

Thanks Slappy, I guess I just like the thought of hand selecting every part it seems like a pretty fun project too, so it might just be worth the extra money.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Pahoo

This wheel has already been invented but so what ??

I have built up and torn back down about six or so. I have also swapped stuff back and forth. If you like to tinker then by all means, start out basic and build it back up. If you don't care about tinkering, then buy a Magnum Research or equal. Swapping barrels is a breeze and trigger work is a "little" more difficult. ...

I hope that Sholling will now post some of his poject 10/22 pictures as they are great !! ..

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:59 PM   #9
jmr40

I started with a pawnshop special, bought a Shooters Choice barrel and Hogue stock from Cabelas. No other changes including keeping the factory trigger.

Old January 23, 2013, 07:21 PM   #10
bpeezer

That is one heck of a group! How do you like the fluted barrel?
Old January 23, 2013, 07:42 PM   #11
rambokid

I put a Kidd drop in trigger group in one of my 10/22's and a Rimfire Technology's adjustable in the other. Both are sweet!
Old January 24, 2013, 03:28 AM   #12
sholling

Buy the cheapest and replace the barrel, and stock and do the trigger. Unless something has changed recently the factory target model isn't any more accurate than a sporter because they share the same chamber dimensions.

You can get a pretty good stock from Boyd's for less than $100. A pretty decent Green Mountain Barrel for $100-150. You can get the trigger under 2-1/2lbs with a $50 Volquartsen (VQ) target hammer kit or under 2lbs with a Kidd DIY trigger kit for $110ish, or go top of the line with a $300 Kidd 2-stage trigger. The bottom line is you can make that 10/22 more accurate than most people can shoot for less than $300 in upgrades and a bit of time to dial it in. Or you can go hog wild with $200+ Kidd or VQ barrel and deluxe everything else. I have some of both but either way don't skimp on the optics.

This was a budget build.

This is a bit more extravagant and has since acquired a Kidd 2-Stage trigger.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:00 PM   #13
bpeezer

Wow, those look really nice! Sounds like I should look for a cheaper 10/22 at the gun show this weekend
Old February 4, 2013, 06:08 PM   #14
zombiekilla

Check out the custom CNC bolts by JWH Custom, might be something you like