The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 19, 2012, 04:22 PM   #51
kraigwy

Quote:
Well, after last night's public meeting, I won't be surprised if Wyoming allows .223 for deer and antelope. I will also be surprised if they put any bullet weight restrictions into the new law.
Wyoredman,

What was the consensus on 357s in pistol or rifles?
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 20, 2012, 01:23 PM   #52
Wyoredman

Kraigwy,

It seemed to me that the few people who showed up were mostly for all the proposed changes.

I think the G&F are thinking of bringing the Wyoming regulations concerning firearms for hunting more in line with other states. I think their ultimate goal is to make the Out-of-Stater feel more comfortable with the Wyoming regs, thus they may get more applications?

Just my personal thoughts. But I think the regs as proposed, will get reccomended to the Commisssion for ratification.

We will see, next year.

P.S. The removal of the Ft-lbs of energy requirement for the .35 calliber cartridge is intended to remove part of the law that was nearly un-enforceable. The new law for pistol type cartridges will be based on diameter (0.35" min) and OAL (1.5") min.

Here is a link to the actual proposed Regulation: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme...G120002860.pdf

Last edited by Wyoredman; September 20, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:41 AM   #53
1tfl

I don't see any problem with allowing 223 for deer.

As my father used to say, it's the indian and not the arrow.

I've taken 300+ lb. hogs with my AR carbine without problem but I had to be patient to wait for the perfect opportunity. Most bad shot on a game with a 223 would not have ended any better if the shooter used larger caliber/cartridge.

You can't make up for bad shot with "good" ammo.
Old September 21, 2012, 11:35 AM   #54
tahunua001

alright I got in on this way too late for my ADHD to allow me to read the whole thread so I'll just jump in and add my .02 that may compound what has already been spoken.

223 is legal in my state. I grew up in Montana which has no caliber restrictions whatsoever. this is just a personal observation based on my local area growing up and seeing what family and acquaintances were using but a large percentage of deer were being harvested by 22lr when i was growing up. these were usually(but not always) shots to the quintessential kill zone, not shots to the head, spine or neck. I would also like to say that a point blank shot on a deer in south eastern Montana is almost unheard of. you are lucky if you can get within 100 yards of them before they bolt.

living in Idaho now the only game I'm aware of that is legal to be hunted with 22lr are grouse with everything else either being shotgun only(turkey) or centerfire(everything else) so 204 ruger or 223 is the smallest many people go. I always hunted with 243, my best friend usually hunted 30-30 and my older brother usually either packed his 243(until it became a christmas present for my little brother) or his 7mm REM MAG(total overkill IMHO) but while I was on active duty I commissioned my brother to build me an Tahunua001-SPEC AR15 in 5.56/223 and he whined the entire time he built it that it was going to weigh 10 pounds and be unbalanced as heck and only good as a benchrest rifle until I recieved an email one day titled "I hate you sometimes".

interested in what this was all about I opened it and it contained 2 photos. the first was my older brother standing over a 200 pound whitetail buck holding MY AR15 that he had just recently finished building. the second was a google earth screen shot marking out where the shot took place, 250 yards. I guess he decided my specs were not nearly as bad as he originally suspected.

223 is more than just a varmint round and is more than powerful enough for deer, though limited personal experience with pronghorn shows that you may need more energy at long range than what a 223 is capable of delivering. I was never able to get within 600 yards of those skittish beasts and I would barely trust a 223 to take down a skunk at that range.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:02 PM   #55
kraigwy

I'm not interested in the 223 for hunting, I sure they are satisfactory for deer/antelope.

Shoot I used one for a sniper rifle and it falt works.

I don't don't have any hunting type rifles in 223 and with a ton of other rifles I dont see me buying or building one. I'll probably just stick to my Model 70 Featherweight in 257. Its worked for years.

However I do like the ideal of using my Marlin 94 in 357 for deer. I think it would be neat to take a horse back riding trip and bringing some a deer shot with that rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 21, 2012, 02:52 PM   #56
Wyoredman

kraigwy,

My gut feeling is that next year you will be able to saddle your pony, stick that ole' 94 in the scabbard and have at it! Momma will be proud of you when you ride up with that nice young buck hanging over the cantle.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:46 AM   #57
cornbush

You guys ever hear anything official on the proposed change?
Old November 4, 2012, 11:35 AM   #58
rickyrick

If you're anti .223 for ethical reasons then you most definitely should be anti-archery, shotgun and muzzle loader.

The right shot at the right ranges the .223 will do the trick.

The selection of ammo the last couple of years are leaning towards deer bullets.

If the hunter is an idiot with a .223 then he is an idiot with any hunting weapon.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:59 AM   #59
cornbush

I'm not anti 223 at all, just wondering
Old November 4, 2012, 12:14 PM   #60
rickyrick

I made a general statement, wasn't directed at anyone in particular...
Old November 5, 2012, 09:30 AM   #61
CDW4ME

Follow up to my reply / post on page 2

One of my boys did shoot a deer with the .223 out of a AR.
The doe was just 15 yards away and went only 20 yards after the shot.
Rifle was a Windham SRC with a Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot.
He used my handload, a 60 gr. Nosler Partition chronographed at 2,807 fps from a 16'' barrel.
The bullet made small entry and exit holes, but did significant damage to both lungs.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:35 AM   #62
Wyoredman

Cornbush, the G&F is taking the proposed changes to the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission in January. If they approve the changes, they will then become the new regulation. I will keep this thread informed.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:36 AM   #63
jimbob86

Quote:
If you're anti .223 for ethical reasons then you most definitely should be anti-archery, shotgun and muzzle loader.
That's just not so..... the I think broadheads from a heavy enough draw weight bow are more than lethal enough. Shotguns 20 guage and larger w/slugs as well. Muzzleloaders in appropriate calibers too.

I am not anti- .223* ...... just anti- deer hunting w/ .223. I am not anti-rifle hunting any more than I am anti- any of those things ..... Take a child's bow w/ field points, a .410 or a .36 roundball squirrel rifle, and you have inappropriate equipment ..... I feel the same about deer hunting with .223 as I do about deer hunting with any of the above...... there are better tools for the job.

* I think it's a fine cartridge ..... for varmints, paper punching, budget stretching, wounding enemy soldiers ...... I have an AR, and am loading for it..... maybe I'll pick up some 60 gr Partitions and do a bit of experimentation.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #64
rickyrick

All those weapons have an appropriate range and projectile selection, as does the .223.....and are all subject to bad decisions by the user.

I think that the .223 can be used responsibly.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:37 PM   #65
Strafer Gott

I've seen whitetails taken with .410 and .222 rem. The key is to get close. It takes a lot of hunting sometimes, to get to that ethical shot.