The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 14, 2011, 07:29 PM   #26
brian45auto

yeap, the smith & wesson m&p......the original one.
realible as gravity.
loved by law enforcement, for nearly 80 years....and i bet you can still find them in holsters of some small town sherrifs.
they however are lacking the ugly as cottoncheese on a fat chicks butt.
Old February 14, 2011, 08:07 PM   #27
Davey

Thanks for the help everyone.

I got plenty of models to look at.
Old February 14, 2011, 08:30 PM   #28
savit260

I suppose if you meant Plastic, Ugly, and foreign built...

there's the Polymer Taurus Judge!
Old February 15, 2011, 01:25 AM   #29
Davey

Did some reading on this locking mechanism...Do the new S&Ws have this lock?
Old February 15, 2011, 01:28 AM   #30
Crazy88Fingers

Don't know what you mean by "this" lock. But yes, they do have internal locks that you work with a small key.
Old February 15, 2011, 02:12 AM   #31
Davey

[quote]Don't know what you mean by "this" lock. But yes, they do have internal locks that you work with a small key. [//quote]

I mean the lock that a couple posters here mentioned earlier. Some mentioned pre-lock S&W models. I read somewhere that S&W removed the lock from some newer models.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:00 AM   #32
Crazy88Fingers

They started using the lock right around the year 2000. From what I understand they release a few new guns without locks from time to time. It's speculated they're just getting rid of some old frames without the lock holes.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:35 AM   #33
Daryl

Ruger is likely the best value for the dollar when it comes to revolvers. Tough, reliable, accurate, and they'll always work. The triggers are usually not quite as refined as a Smith & Wesson, but they aren't bad.

And they look better than a Glock (I say this as one who carries a Glock).

Taurus revolvers aren't even close to being the Glock of Revolvers; certainly no more so than they equal the true Glock semi-auto, which is to say "not at all".

Daryl
Old February 15, 2011, 03:46 AM   #34
8shot357

What the closest apple compared to an orange, if somebody didn't bring that up already. Mango?

Eleph'I'Know
Old February 15, 2011, 03:50 AM   #35
dgvc63

are there glock revolvers?

GOD I hope not!!! but obviously from our brothers answers you can see there is sort of a glock-ish deal happening. I'm old and traditional and want the steel between me and the round... best revolver deal going (and going fast by the way...so act fast) The Ruger "Six" series of .357 Magnum revolvers... as carry friendly as the Smith 19 but MUCH stronger...

Here's my Service Six with my Colt Commander

Old February 15, 2011, 06:23 AM   #36
pmeisel

S&W is too pricey, and good-looking, to compare to Glock.

Ruger, yes. Taurus, yes, but most of them are better looking.

Hell everything looks better than a Glock.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:53 PM   #37
outdoorsguy29

Glock of Revolvers

If your looking at the Taurus line I suggest you look at the Model 608. It holds 8 rounds.
Old February 15, 2011, 05:42 PM   #38
8shot357

Quote:

Hell everything looks better than a Glock.
Even your girl friend or wife, or both?

BB

Last edited by 8shot357; February 15, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 05:54 PM   #39
BGutzman

Im not sure any gun is as homely as any Glock. Im not a revolver guy but I would be one before I used a Glock.

I guess the closest thing would be the Judge.

They do seem to be similar in the following ways.

1. Its cheap.
2. Its not great quality.
3. It works.
4. You'd be embarasssed to tell your friends you own one.
5. Reliable.

And yes I am taking a poke at the Block but its all in fun so dont take it harshly, I just wont own either a Judge or a Glock, if you do enjoy!
Old February 15, 2011, 08:24 PM   #40
Glenn Dee

You have it backwards... Glocks are the revolvers of automatics
Old February 15, 2011, 08:51 PM   #41
MrWin94

S&W Model 19 with a 4" barrel, this is versatile and reliable. Put sone meprolight night sights on it and keep a flashlight handy and you will be all set for the home, the trail, a hunt or the range.

Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel is another solid 357. Colt Trooper or a Ruger Security Six.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:00 PM   #42
BarkSlayer

What you're looking for, sir, is a Smith & Wesson model 686 with a 4" barrel. It's everything a Glock is to pistols - except the Smith revolver won't bore you unconscious the way a Glock will.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:17 PM   #43
testuser

Another vote here for the S&W Model 19 or Model 66 with a 4 inch barrel. Not nearly as bulky or heavy as the L-frame or Rugers, yet still controllable. Back in it's day it was very popular for professional use. I still can't believe S&W discontinued this model, but luckily they were very popular and excellent examples can still be found on the used market.
Old February 16, 2011, 12:33 AM   #44
dgvc63

slight protest to terminology...

I have to take small exception to using "Glock" as some sort of term or measurement of quality... There's Colt, Smith and everyone else gets in line from there...not a fan of the striker type weapons (yes I'm aware I'm incredibly behind the times) or Glock as a weapon or an expression of quality...just sayin'
Old February 16, 2011, 09:24 AM   #45
mikecu

You say the Glock of revolvers. Then why not a Glock?

Taurus has too many bad stories.

I think when it comes to guns, you do get what you pay for.

My house guns are a S&W 686 and a DA/SA J frame.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:13 AM   #46
fatmax

Rather than make snide remarks about Glocks and Taurus (Taurii ?) I think it might be nice to answer the op's question politely.

My take on the op's question is this: What are the options for a durable, relatively maintenance free, easy to use, reliable, and moderately priced revolver in a reasonable self-defense cartridge, that is sized for the average person's hand ?

My answer would be the following:

Ruger Speed, Service or Security Six (maybe even an SP101)
Ruger GP100
S&W 686

All of these guns are stainless, so you have the low maintenance end covered.

All are reliable, and capable of handling a steady diet of the 357mag cartridge. I would have included the S&W model 65 and 66, but I don't think the K-frame 357 is as durable and capable of frequent full-blown 357mag shooting.

All of these revolvers are reasonably sized, and with the S&W if you go with a round butt model the grip options are pretty numerous so you can fit your hand perfectly.

Any of these revolvers can be purchased for well under $600 if you buy a used one either locally or on this or another forum. I have owned each of these models, all bought used, and found all of them to be flawlessly reliable, rugged, accurate, and good looking.

My preference would be for a larger caliber revolver, like a S&W 624, 625, or 22-4, but these guns tend to cost more, and are a little bit harder to carry concealed. I carry a 22-4 45acp revolver, daily, and have found it to be the best gun I've ever owned. It is, however, blued and will require a little bit more maintenance and care. It also costs a bit north of $650, used. The S&W 696 is a great gun in 44special, as are the 3" barreled 624, 625, 629, and 610 in 44special, 45acp, 44mag, and 10mm, respectively. Unfortunately, all of these guns are higher priced, and the 696 is not a good candidate for high-volume shooting.

I can't speak for Taurus revolvers other than to say they make or made some smaller sized large-bore revolvers in 44special, 45colt, and 44mag, that feel good in the hand. Their quality is often questioned, but I've heard as many good reports as bad.

Of the three manufacturers mentioned (S&W, Ruger, and Taurus) I would categorize them in this fashion:

S&W - More refined, well balanced and nicer action than the other two makers, but while not fragile they are less rugged and durable than the Ruger, and they tend to be more expensive used or new. Wonderful to shoot, but durability varies with frame size and cartridge pairing.

Ruger - Very rugged and reliable, but the actions can be rough. Great value, and should outlive the first and second owners. Heavy guns, built to be used frequently.

Taurus - Rugged, but hit-or-miss on quality and action. Least expensive of the three, but you get what you pay for. If you can buy a used model that you are able to test prior to purchasing it, there shouldn't be any issues. Probably not a good match for the required qualities exemplified by a Glock semi-auto.

I hope this helps. If I were to pick one of the models I mentioned it would be the 686 in 2-1/2, 3" or 4" barrel length. They come in seven shot versions, and are not overly heavy for daily carry. The actions on pre-lock models tend to be fantastic, and they are, in my opinion, one of the nicest looking revolvers. My second choice would be a 2-1/2" or 4" Ruger Speed Six.

Thanks
Fatmax
Old February 16, 2011, 01:53 PM   #47
ET.

I have purchased some of the most hated guns on the market. Sigma 40ve, Taurtus Judge, Taurus TCP, Hi-Point C9, several Glocks among others. These are all viable guns. Do I carry a Hi-Point or a Sigma...No. Have my Glocks bored me to death...No. Has my 40s&w Glock exploded in my face...No. I wouldn't use the Hi-Point as my carry gun, but it is a good plinker. The Sigma would do perfectly fine in my nightstand even though that is where my Glock 21sf resides. The 21sf doesn't bore me to death, but I do go to sleep every night right beside it (same as my wife). The Judge loaded with 45LC & 000 buckshot is not a bad choice for SD in some cases. I believe that there is a place for every gun out there. Trashing guns isn't part of my agenda.
Old February 16, 2011, 04:10 PM   #48
Rembart

Ruger = built like tanks, reliable as Timex. S&W = reliable but more like a jewelled Hamilton automatic. The SP101 is the gun I would own if I could have only one. One farmer's opinion but I don't think you can wear them out. I have seen Smith's fired out of time and Taurus also. I had to send my Model 85 Taurus back for that very reason personally. They fixed it though and it shoots like a dream. My Smith M581 also refused to lock up properly after shooting some heavy .357. Smith fixed it too, it is a great firearm and is smooth is butter, purty too. However, I have shot the dickens out of my SP101 and it is tight as when new. Even fired the 200grn. Corbons that rattled my 581 and it ate them like candy. So, Ruger it is for the go to shooter in my opinion.

Then if you are looking at single action I think Ruger is the only real deal. I wouldn't even look at another kind...er..unless I could afford Freedom Arms of course.

Last edited by Rembart; February 16, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old February 16, 2011, 04:21 PM   #49
sirsloop

... trying to think of a horribly ugly square box revolver and drawing a blank...
Old February 16, 2011, 04:39 PM   #50
OsOk-308

Colt Python?