The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2010, 11:40 PM   #1
davesexton

Newbie Winchester 1897 Question

Hello all;
Just subscribed to this forum!
I just purchased my first Winchester 1897! It's an E Series (serial # 626985), made in 1916, with the 30" Barrel. While I had it taken down to take out a plug that it had in the magazine tube, I (stupidly...) cocked the hammer... So, now it will not operate properly. I cannot get the hammer un-cocked.
Did I completely goof it up? Do I need to send it to a gunsmith to get it back together or is there something I can do?
I'm learning quickly about this neat old gun. Hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20!!
Thanks in advance,

Dave Sexton
USCG
Old June 2, 2010, 02:24 AM   #2
bamaranger

not the first

You are not the first guy to strip a gun and have to have help putting it back together.
Old June 2, 2010, 05:07 AM   #3
zippy13

Greetings davesexton, and welcome aboard,

At the risk of asking a question that's so simple it may have been overlooked: Are you sure you fully cocked the hammer? The reason I ask is because, IIRC, the Model 1897 can be taken down and reassembled with the hammer cocked. Perhaps you put the hammer in the Half-Cock (safety) position which sort of locks things up. Instead of pulling the trigger trying to make the hammer fall, try drawing the hammer fully back. Yeah, I know, that's pretty basic stuff, but you're new to the gun and stranger things have happened with new guns.