The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2005, 04:38 AM   #1
OmegaSix

Mossberg Maverick 88 Trigger Trouble

Hello all. My first time on the forums and I hope you guys/gals can help me out. I'm new to shotguns and I recently purchased a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 ga Shotgun. Problem is it has started to "misfire" I stripped it down and after alot of trouble shooting I believe i have narrowed it down to the trigger assembly/safety (as the 88 has a crossbolt saftey mounted in front of the trigger unlike the Mossberg 500 as i'm sure you all know). Anyways, the problem I found was that sometimes when I pull the trigger the hammer flips up at a 90 degree angle (Figure 1.) instead of extending further forward (Figure 2.) thus hitting the firing pin. I have studied (without dissasembling) the trigger assembly and I can not see the cause of this problem. But, I have noticed if when loaded and ready to fire, if I push the safety off and push it in hard the gun will fire every time, therefore I believe the safety may be at fault and "catching" somehow. Also I figure that the hammer is able to stop at 90 straight up incase of an accidental bump so the gun doesn't fire, but should not do that when I pull the damn trigger Also when it does "misfire" I can pull the trigger a second time and hear the hammer click again moving the hammer forward where it should have moved the first time I pulled. Anyways I hope i explained the problem well enough and would love any input and/or questions regarding my problem. Happy shooting

------------------| < Hammer
Front of gun < ===== < Trigger Assembly (Click, no shot)

------------------\ < Hammer
Front of gun < ===== < Trigger Assembly
Old November 29, 2005, 11:05 AM   #2
rwking

problems

i recently pruchased the same gun and mossberg is the proud owner of that gun, they are sending another to me for the same problem you have had. mine has done this twice in the last three weeks, i have read reviews and posts from other owners of this gun and they say that it is a good gun. i think you and i got a lemon and you need to call them and get another one from them.
Old November 29, 2005, 05:43 PM   #3
rugerdude

Hmmm....quality control seems to be declining over at maverick arms.

My maverick 88 has been a joy, but more and more lemons seem to be popping up.

Anyway, did you pull the trigger when the assembly was out of the gun? If I remember correctly (which I probably don't) That's a big no-no.

As far as I can see, you'll have to send it back, they really don't want you to mess with the trigger assemblies.

Sorry you had to get a bad one.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old November 29, 2005, 09:37 PM   #4
OmegaSix

Thanks for the replies. Rwking, where did you buy your Maverick? Wal-Mart by any chance? And to Rogerdude, your right about the trigger assembly, not to fire it while out of the gun, says it right in the manual. Then again, I didn't do that until after it started to misfire, and in doing that is the way I found out the problem, lol. I hate to have to send the gun to Maverick, I know assembleys for Mossberg 500's aren't priced to bad, anyone have any idea where I could find a trigger assembly for sale for my Maverick 88? I rather spend the money and pop a new one in if the price is right, especially considering the money it will cost to ship the damn gun anyways
Old November 29, 2005, 10:10 PM   #5
baf2003

want some advice? take it back and exchange it for a rem 870 wingmaster 12ga. mine's 30+ yrs old and hasen't failed me yet
Old November 30, 2005, 08:58 AM   #6
rwking

Maverick

I PURCHASED MINE AT ACADEMY SPORTS

YOU CAN PURCHASE THE TRIGGER ASSEMBLY FROM MAVERICK OFF OF THEIR WEBSITE: WWW.MAVERICKARMS.COM
Old November 30, 2005, 06:15 PM   #7
OmegaSix

Thanks RW, I just sent maverick an email about buying a new one. And once again thanks for everyones help and opinions