The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Kayser

Why's my 1911 doing this?

When collecting brass at the range today, I noticed that a small % of my spent primers had a hard to identify extra ding in them. I thought it might be related to my reloads, but they were present on brand new WWB.

The gun could have been doing this since the dawn of time - only recently have I started critically eyeing the brass. What causes something like this? They're really weird because the striker mark is nice and precise - there's just that extra ding on it. I know 1911's are supposed to be mean to brass, but what the heck?

Thanks!
Old March 20, 2005, 05:07 PM   #2
HankL

Timing

It looks like your pistol is beginning to unlock before the firing pin gets out of the way. A new firing pin spring would probably take care of this.
HTH
Old March 20, 2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's called firing pin wipe.

A lot of guns do this, and it's perfectly normal.

My EAA Witness in 10mm looks like the primers have been stamped with a piece of barstock.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 20, 2005, 05:19 PM   #4
Kayser

Gotcha. That would make sense - the gun's coming up on 5 years old with many many rounds and no major spring replacements (besides the recoil spring).