The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Do you wear shooting a glove(s) in warm weather?
Yes 12 28.57%
No 30 71.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 7, 2009, 10:18 AM   #1
zippy13

Shooting gloves

One of our members mentioned that he preferred a certain model over another because it worked best with his gloved hands. Some folks wear gloves for warmth and others for a better grip. Just curious, how many of you wear gloves (or just one glove) while shotgunning in warm weather?

Last edited by zippy13; July 8, 2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added "shotgunning"
Old July 7, 2009, 10:19 AM   #2
greyson97

i think this would better exposure in Handgun general? In texas i dont use gloves, nor have i seen anyone else use any
Old July 7, 2009, 10:31 AM   #3
oneounceload

For clay shooting, I wear a pair of thin golf gloves - same Cabretta leather, just about half the price of "shooting gloves". They help me keep my grip, especially when it's cold, and when it's hot and sweaty.......

Last edited by oneounceload; July 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:33 AM   #4
tmd11111

I voted yes but this is only the case with some of my guns. With the smaller calibers I usually shoot bare handed. With my big bore guns I use a glove with a gel padded palm.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

I have trouble with one of my carbines. The trigger backlash is something to be felt! I wear a pair of farm gloves (Thin cowhide leather) that helps mitigate the pounding my finger takes.
I have found it helps with my grip on some pistols when my hand is sweaty (like the first time I met my wonderful wife. My palms were sweaty, my heart was racing, but that is another song, for another time. )
I would have chosen sometimes, but it was not an option on the poll.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:46 AM   #6
oneounceload

Zippy - you asking about ANY type of gun, or just shotguns? (since this IS in the shotgun section)
Old July 7, 2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I will occasionally use golf gloves when shooting in hot weather just to improve my grip.

Especially if I'm shooting shotgun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:57 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am a total utilitarian DORK!
For a hunt setup in COLD weather I wear my comfy gloves but once on spot, I switch my right glove for a brown jersey with thumb and fore finger cut off and topped by a big goofy snowmobile mitten so i can easily bite it in my teeth to pull it off but leave the jersey in place. safety on the 500 operates best with a bare thumb and I can't stand anything between my finger and trigger.
Brent
Old July 7, 2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Pahoo

Outside of the uses you mentioned, I wear thin Camo gloves to cover and grip as well as keeps the bugs from biting.

During our M/L classes I do all the loading and in hot weather, I wear a pair of cotton knit gloves with the fingers cut off to absorb moisture. Keeps my range-rod from slipping in my hands. I also shoot with these for basically the same reasong; moisture absorbtion.

I also wear padded fingerless gloves when shooting large pistol calibers.

Be Safe !!!
Old July 7, 2009, 10:01 PM   #10
RoscoeC

I wear gloves in deer season because even in Texas it is often cold.

When I shoot my Glock 29, 10mm, I wear a fingerless weight lifter's glove on my right hand only. These are a lightweight mesh material with leather palm. Helps keep the hand from getting sore. I have also worn them during a couple of pistol classes where we were shooting upwards of 2000 rounds over the course of 3 days.

A few years ago, when I still did real work I wouldn't needed the glove. Since I have been mostly pushing pens and paper around a desk for the last 15 years, my hands are soft as a baby's behind.
NRA Life Member
Old July 7, 2009, 10:15 PM   #11
Tatsumi67

I bought a pair of BLACKHAWK SOLAG full fingers as a christmas gift to myself last year for driving and shooting. Best $30 I ever spent.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:21 PM   #12
gun nut

I prefer no gloves. Only wear gloves if 40-45 or less.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:31 PM   #13
LukeA

I've only seen guys wear gloves in warm weather when shooting Garands, presumably to prevent pinching between the receiver and the operating rod.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:30 PM   #14
olddrum1

A good set of thin golfing gloves is a must here when shooting in the heat.
Keeps the shotgun from sliding around in your grip and also keeps you from burning your hand on the hot barrel of a gun. I also keep three or four of the farmers red and blue hankerchiefs in the glove box. You would be suprised how handy they are.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:53 PM   #15
JWT

I wear light weight shooting gloves year round for trap shooting. Don't wear them for anything else.
Old July 8, 2009, 02:17 AM   #16
Regolith

I don't wear shooting gloves, even in cold weather. Never really had a good reason to.
Old July 8, 2009, 11:25 AM   #17
sholling

Sometime I'll use fingerless gloves with a gel pad.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:01 PM   #18
SamStafford

I don't use gloves on my shot guns. I like to feel the kicks.
Old July 8, 2009, 04:45 PM   #19
BigJimP

I do wear gloves often....

I prefer the fabric golf gloves ( footjoy ) they're winter gloves - so they sell them in pairs - they're poly - so they wick the moisture away from your hands. I prefer them over the Browning, Bob Allen leather gloves ....

They work well in rain too / and in temps down to about + 10 degrees or so..... then I go to a cross country ski glove for colder days ( in duck blinds, etc )..

I've also gone to keeping a "golf towel" on a ring on my belt - to dry my hands when I'm not wearing gloves ... ( but it was a balmy 60 degrees here yesterday, mostly cloudy, and no rain ...) so it wasn't southern california warm ... but pleasant ..