The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2008, 04:57 PM   #1
SPUSCG

2.75/3 inch

is there much difference in range, patterns or price of ammo or is it like ford vs. chevy?
Old June 4, 2008, 05:41 PM   #2
BigJimP

It not a black and white answer.

There is an overlap in commercial shells, in terms of ballistics, in 2 3/4" and 3" shells. In both sizes you will find shells of 1 1/8oz payloads easily out to 1300 to 1400 fps. But in 3" shells you will find some loads up to 1500 fps / and you will find some 2oz payloads. ( then there is the 3 1/2" shells too ...)

But the real question is what do you need / want - how many ounces of shot, how fast, how much recoil do you want to live with .... and in many cases, not all, a 2 3/4" shell will meet all your needs. So there are a lot of choices out there on commercial ammo.

In general, a 3" shell will cost you more. How much more depends on what load you're buying. Most of the "cheap" shells out there are 2 3/4" and of course lead / so not waterfowl loads, etc. Remember a gun chambered in 3" will let you shoot 3" or 2 3/4" / but a gun chambered in 2 3/4" will not let you shoot 3" shells.

In general, I think a gun chambered in 3" ( 12 ga ) will be very versatile - especially if you're using it to hunt. But if all you have is a 2 3/4" gun - you can find shells for it to do everything you probably want to do with it.

I use my 2 3/4" chambered guns in the field a lot - and I've never felt like I was lacking anything in a duck blind over decoys / for pheasant, quail, etc On the other hand - my Benelli super sport semi-auto happens to be chambered in 3" - so I do have a few more shell options.

Range is a function of velocity, amount of shot - so there is no difference is 1 1/8oz of 4's at 1300 fps in a 2 3/4" shell vs a 3" shell. A 1300 fps shell, loaded with 7 1/2's ( whether it holds 7/8 oz like in a 20ga / 1 1/8 oz in a 12ga / or even 3/4 oz in a 28ga ) goes exactly the same distance and hits just as hard - pellet for pellet. The only difference is there are less pellets in a smaller weight charge - so a 28ga shell hits just as hard as a 12ga ( if the velocity and size of pellet are the same ).

Last edited by BigJimP; June 4, 2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added thought
Old June 5, 2008, 04:17 AM   #3
b.thomas

Mostly patterns........just because with a three incher your throwing more shot at the target.
More shot in the pattern =less holes=more hits on the target=more chance of dropping a bird or breaking a clay.
*this is assuming same shot: velocity, size and distance from target.
Old June 5, 2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Doyle

You'll also get a significant recoil difference.