The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2014, 08:49 PM   #1
CockNBama

Figuring out pitch

This question is academic, but I promise I'm not smoking a pipe or wearing tweed.

After making some stock adjustments today by shimming the stock on my Maxus, I measured the pitch.

Since I don't have a Drop Stick, I just used my combination square with the protractor head added on the beam. The reading I got was 175 degrees, which I interpret as 85 deg, and +5 pitch. Correct?

This is a little shaky - the Maxus butt plate is deeply concave, and it was hard to get exact contact with the butt and the straightedge along the rib. I'm not really worried about this. The adjustments feel great, and I can't wait to bust some clays tomorrow. I just want to check my "ciphering" to stay straight (or cast on, whichever).

Thanks.
Old February 22, 2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Orphanedcowboy

Lean it up against the wall with the pad flat on the floor, now measure the angle of the wall to barrel, viola.

It is most like - 3°

Shims will change it slightly, If you changed them, then yes it could be -5°