The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 16, 2013, 11:36 AM   #1
tahunua001

Idahos new enhanced concealed carry permit

finally, the NRA spambot finally left me something good in my inbox. yesterday by unanimous vote Idaho law makers voted in a bill that will create a second enhanced concealed carry permit which will hold reciprocity with 40 states over the existing standard permit with 27 states. this is great for me because I travel to washington state regularly and they do not hold reciprocity with idaho so my permit is worthless about half the time.

the main difference is that the enhanced requires a full 8 hour course of self defense/handgun specific training while you can get the standard with just about anything, including hunters safety.
I do have a question for those of you that have similar reqs is will a DD214 be sufficient to get the new permit or am I going to end up having to find an 8 hour NRA cert course?
Old March 16, 2013, 12:30 PM   #2
hermannr

You do know the reason that WA does not recognize ID is the fact that an 18 year old in ID can obtain a Concealed Carry license, and doe not have anything to do with training?

So the question for you is: did ID also make 21 the youngest for a carry license?
Old March 16, 2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Actually Hermannr, there are two reasons. The first, as you said is the lower age limit (and let's be sure to understand that this is an exception, not the rule), but it is the second that carries the most weight. We do not have a separate (or individualized) mental health check.

H0192 is the enhanced CWP bill. On March 1st, it was received in the Senate, read the first time and referred to the Senate State Affairs Committee. It is expected to come out of committee next week.

The odd thing about this bill is that in the training section, you are required to fire 98 rounds in the live fire portion. Why 98? Good question, as so far, I've received no answer. As for the training... If you want the enhanced license, then you will need to take the 8 hour training course. Your current CWP and/or DD214 will not count.

Unless I missed something, the new enhanced license will not be issued to anyone under 21 years of age.

I'll be back tonight (after work) and will list all of the bills that have to do with firearms (there are several) and where they stand.
Old March 16, 2013, 02:13 PM   #4
jwm3

98 shots

We have the same thing here in Michigan. It is a requirement of the in the home NRA class. I believe it is to allow two rounds out of two boxes for bad rounds.
Old March 16, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
tahunua001

interesting... I hadn't heard about the 98 shots clause...
sounds like they are probably going to make the NRA cert course mandatory.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
press1280

I think something similiar was proposed in WV a few years ago-we'd have constitutional carry, but at the same time we'd get an enhanced permit that would include fingerprints and the whole 9 yards, basically to try to get maximum reciprocity while not making our own citizens jump through extra hoops to get it.
Old March 16, 2013, 06:04 PM   #7
hermannr

Thank you Al. I could not figure out why ID was not recognized by WA, then I read that under cirtain circumstances ID will issue to an 18-21 year old and I was sure that was the major problem.

I assumed (I know bad word) the fingerprint check was same as ours?? Ok, thanks for the info.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

As promised, here's the whole mass of bills:

House Bill 183 amends a portion of I.C. 50-308 that gave municipal corporations authority to regulate and punish concealed carry. This language was in conflict with the legislation passed a couple of years ago (18-3302J) that held that the State was in complete control of any gun regulations. If passed (and it will be) this bill removes the overlooked and conflicting language.

On 02/28 the bill passed (Ayes=66-Nays=2-Excused/Absent=2) and was sent to the Senate. On 03/01 it was read for the first time and sent to the Senate State Affairs Committee.

House Bill 192 would modify the fees paid for renewal of our concealed weapons permits. Renewals that occur 91 days to 180 days after expiration would pay an additional fee of $10, as a penalty. Allow your permit to lapse beyond 180 days, you would have to re-apply as if it was an intial application.

This bill would require the Sheriff to notify the ISP within 5 days of the renewal.

Section 2 of this bill introduces a new section: 18-3302K: Issuance of Enhanced Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons. Training requirements as follows:

Quote:
(b) Has successfully completed within twelve (12) months immediately preceding filing an application, a qualifying handgun course as specified in this paragraph and taught by a certified instructor who is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law. A copy of the certificate of successful completion of the handgun course, in a form to be prescribed by the director of the Idaho state police and signed by the course instructor, shall be submitted to the sheriff at the time of filing an application under this section. Certified instructors of handgun courses when filing an application under this section shall not be required to submit such certificates but shall submit a copy of their current instructor's credential. The sheriff shall accept as a qualifying handgun course a personal protection course offered by the national rifle association or an equivalent course meeting the following requirements:
(i) The course instructor is certified by the national rifle association, or by another nationally recognized organization that customarily certifies firearms instructors, as an instructor in personal protection with handguns, or the course instructor is certified by the Idaho peace officers standards and training council as a firearms instructor;

(ii) The course is at least eight (8) hours in duration;
(iii) The course is taught face to face and not by electronic or other means; and
(iv) The course includes instruction in:
1. Idaho law relating to firearms and the use of deadly force, provided that such instruction is delivered by either of the following whose name and credential shall appear on the certificate:
(A) An active licensed member of the Idaho state bar; or
(B) A law enforcement officer who possesses an intermediate or higher Idaho peace officers standards and training certificate.
2. The basic concepts of the safe and responsible use of handguns;
3. Self-defense principles; and
4. Live fire training including the firing of at least ninety-eight (98) rounds by the student.
Finally, this bill amends I.C. 9-340B to include the records of newly created 18-3302K as being exempt from public disclosure.

Passed the House (68-0-2) on 02/28 and sent to the Senate. On 03/01 the bill was read for the first time and sent to the Senate State Affairs Committee.

House Bill 219, a bill to prohibit any State official from complying with any Federal Law that requires the banning, registration of firearms or magazines, Adds a new section, to be known as 18-3315B. The law, if passed, would make it a misdemeanor to aid or abet Federal Authorities in any scheme to ban, tax or register firearms or accessories.

Passed the House (55-13-2) on 03/11. Currently at the Senate State Affairs Committee.

House Bill 223, amends 18-3302(n)(7) to exempt any knife (as defined) that has a blade 4 inches or less and also exempts any taser, stun gun or pepper spray, from the definition of a concealed weapon.

Passed the House (69-0-1) on 03/07. Currently at the Senate State Affairs Committee.

House Bill 229, a bill that adds additional protections to the Idaho Firearms Freedom Act of 2010. This bill makes Senate Bill S1099, redundant.

The Bill was read for the third time but was returned to the House State Affairs Committee on 03/06.

House Bill 258, a bill that amends existing law to require the Sheriff to provide the applicant a copy of the records check, should the applicant be denied a CWP.

Passed (62-0-8) the House on 03/15 and will likely hit the Senate on Monday and be sent to the Senate State Affairs Committee.

The only bill to originate in the Senate is Senate Bill 1099, where it has sat at the Senate State Affairs Committee. This bill would make suppressors that are made in Idaho and stay in Idaho, lawful to own and possess, regardless of Federal Law. Since a suppressor is a firearm accessory, it is felt that the passage of H0229 would make this bill redundant.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:23 PM   #9
tahunua001

wow.... I don't know where you got all that but I'm about to bookmark this thread... I have always loved Idaho but while the rest of the nation is trying to take guns out of the hands of it's citizens Idaho is not only making sure that their citizens keep their guns but they'll even let them have suppressors as long as they don't leave the state

GOD BLESS IDAHO!
Old March 16, 2013, 11:31 PM   #10
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Every legislative session, the Idaho legislature posts all the bills, and their particulars.

The current data is here: http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/leg...3/minidata.htm. To go from one year to the next, without doing a search, look at the URL as text:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2013/minidata.htm

See the year date? Next year, just change "2013" to "2014" and viola!