The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 13, 2000, 06:35 PM   #1
faiello5

Shot my new MK9 today. What a sweet shooter!

Trigger - smoooooth double action. The best double action trigger I have ever shot.

Reliability - 100% with 100 rounds of ball and 50 rounds of Federal HS 124 grain.

Fit/Finish - excellent. Very well made/put together.

Those of you with this gun, I have 2 questions:

1. How do you carry it in warm climates?

2. How is shooting +P ammo out of it?

Frank

Old April 13, 2000, 08:08 PM   #2
Mike Baugh

Frank , I carry my MK9 in a Kramer pocket holster , the cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holsters work well also . I have only shot standard pressure Golden Saber's in mine . Good luck , Mike...
Old April 14, 2000, 01:24 AM   #3
Dr. J

Frank,

Congratulations on the new MK.

I find that a Pager Pal works very well in a hot, humid climate. Have also used the Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster.
Old April 14, 2000, 09:19 AM   #4
Bullwinkle

Welcome to the Club.

I mostly use a pocket holster that I made myself. Sometimes a belly band. Rarely a Renegade ankle holster. I also made a IWB that works with my Ted Blocker LFI belt; I like it better Blocker's LFI holster.

After about 500 break in rounds I put 100 ProLoad 124gr+Ps through to test reliability. They were 100% reliable, easily controlable, and accurate. The perceived recoil difference with the plus P ammo was not unreasonable. About the same as you normally see when you switch from a commercial "practice" ammo to a commercial "premium carry" ammo. Noticable but not enough to degrade performance.
Old April 14, 2000, 09:32 AM   #5
DMSC

I carry mine in a Milt Sparks SS-2 IWB. I can conceal the MK9 under an untucked t-shirt this way.

I have an Alessi pocket holster on order. Be interesting to try it out.

The only reliability problems I've had with my MK9 is that the slide will not lock back on the last round. The Kahr folks sent me new mag followers and that helped some. I'm waiting on a new slide stop. I hope it works.
Old April 14, 2000, 10:21 AM   #6
FUD

I live not in a warm climate, but in the HOT & humid southern Florida swamps where it rarely gets out of the 80's even in the "cold" of winter so deep concealment is the only way to go and the MK9 is the smallest, serious-size gun out there (I originally carried the MK40 but found that to be too much of a handful to shoot accurately because of it's small size).

I've been carrying a MK9 in an inside the waist belly band from ActionDirect. Even with a tucked in shirt and tight jeans (gotta lose weight), the gun completely disappears from sight.

I've fired it with hot Cor-Bon rounds and while the kick is snappy, it's manageable -- a whole lot more manageable than the MK40 was with hot loads.

Just one bit of warning, even though the gun is stainless steel, it tends to rust. I've been carrying mine for only about half a year and I've already starting to see this happen. Of course, part of the problem might be because I wear it 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In any event, I'm going to have Scott, McDougall & Associates apply their special clear GnomeKote matte finish to the gun which is suppose to exceed the ATSM [American Standard Materials] 177 specifications for salt water corrosion resistance by more than 4000% (or something along those lines) but not chance the appears of the gun as it will still look like the original stainless steel.

Good luck & congrats on buying a fine gun. Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD
Old April 14, 2000, 10:28 AM   #7
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Moving this to Range Reports aka Lock & Load...
Old April 15, 2000, 01:51 AM   #8
blades67

For deep concealment, try the Kramer shirt holster. I have used one for my Mustang PocketLite with much success. I wear it under a polo style shirt without it printing, but I wear a shirt that fits loosly but not baggy.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 15, 2005, 10:00 PM   #9
stolivar

xd vs mill pro

I own both the pt140 pro and the xd40. The xd40 wins hands down on fit, finish, accuracy, etc. etc. etc.

steve