The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2000, 01:00 AM   #1
Dadduck

I have a SBH, one of the first 15,000 made(in case that makes any difference) it is factory original-I bought it new in 1965 and have retired and want to start shooting it. The rear sights will adjust all the way down but it still shoots high with 240 gr ammo. Have any of you guys encountered this before and if so what is the cure? Thanks Dadduck
Old January 9, 2000, 03:35 AM   #2
Rod WMG

I'm no smith, so others will undoubtedly have better ideas or suggestions, but here are my thoughts.

Assuming your technique of shooting is good (I'm sure it is), there are two alternatives which I can see. The first is to get a higher front sight which will ruin collector value in all likelihood. The second is to install a second set of rear sights (keeping the originals to reinstall for collector's sake). You, as you indicate you already know, want the rear sight to go in the direction of the bullet, i.e., down. If the sights won't adjust far enough, you can remove metal from them until the 240 bullets strike the desired point. I did this with a Mark I Ruger .22 and it works. Take off a little at a time and try it until you get it right. I put some cold blue on the sights afterwards and everything looks okay.

Hope this helps.
Old January 9, 2000, 04:04 PM   #3
Cactus

Dadduck

I had the same problem with both a SBH and a BH in .45 Colt shooting heavy loads. I resolved the problem by having a 'smith make up taller front sights for my guns and installing the excellent rear sight available from Bowen Arms.

The front sight on my guns were attached by a small pin. This will allow you to retain the original front sight if you wish to convert back to original configuration.

This solution has worked out well for me. The total cost was approximately $140.00 per gun. Not cheap but a sturdy and nice upgrade from the factory sights.
Old January 10, 2000, 11:25 AM   #4
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"

I put the Bowen sight on my SBH, very nice. More precise, repeatable, and more range of travel. -- Kernel

Check'em out:

http://www.bowenarms.com/parts.html
Old January 10, 2000, 05:19 PM   #5
Dadduck

Thanks for all the good advise- I am taking it! Dadduck