The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2001, 07:08 PM   #1
SharpCdn

Hello,

I'm buying a case of Hornady 9mm (124gr FMJ RN) bulk bullets and have no previous experience with them. I am hoping to draw upon the vast pool of knowledge and experience in this forum to help me out here as far as what kind of results I can expect from them.

Of course they are for paper punching only so accuracy, and function are my only interests. They will be used mostly in my (new in box) standard Browning High Power (circa 1986), which I just bought.

Anybody here have any positive or negative things to say about these bullets? I am really interested to hear feedback concerning them, I want to have realistic expectations from them.

I'll be working up loads using H.Universal, and 231 for comparison. Any pet loads using these powders (or any others) with 124 FMJ (or other bullets) would also be greatly appreciated!

This site is the best! What a fantastic resource.

Happy shooting, and reloading, and shooting...etc...to all!
Old March 24, 2001, 05:15 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

9 mm loads

SharpCdn--

No personal experience with the Hdy 124 FMJ, but I really like their XTP bullets in .38 Spl, .357 and 9 mm.

Since you ask about H. Universal, though, I recently loaded up some two thousand Remington 124 JHPs with 4.6 gr. of Universal. Elder son and I have shot several hundred in a Glock 19, a Kahr P9, my old Canadian High Power and a Kel Tec P-11. They chronographed 1071 in the Kahr and 1095 in the Glock 19. I imagine they'd just top 1100 in my Inglis.

Sorry, I don't have any data on W-231 powder with the 9 mm 124 bullets. I know I have loaded some but I don't find chronograph notes just this minute.

The 4.6 load was a logical step--A hunting buddy has been loading 4.8 with the 116 FMJ for steel plate matches, and that load came directly from Hogden's web site. Anyhow, this is a good, accurate load, and I have fed my guns a lot of much hotter stuff.

Hope you enjoy your High Power as much as I have mine.

Best,
Johnny
Old March 24, 2001, 11:50 PM   #3
Steve in PA

I usually buy the Hornady 115 grain FMJ in bulk. I have no problems with them in my Beretta 92FS.
Old March 25, 2001, 10:44 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

IME 9mm Hornady bullets run .354-.355" and are normally very accuracy-capable.
Old March 26, 2001, 12:40 PM   #5
Mikul

I liked the case that I fired, but haven't seen them in bulk for a while. Where are you purchasing them from.

My 124gr pet load is 4.4gr of 231 with 1.12"OAL.