The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 27, 2015, 05:51 PM   #1
TheSecretPolice

Froglube Solvent Alternative?

Does anyone know a cheaper alternative to froglube solvent? I find myself having to use a larger quantity of it in order to get the job done. (This is to be expected from a non harsh-solvent.) So if anyone could let me in on an alternative that plays well with froglube I would appreciate it. (Keep in mind the solvent can not be petrol based.)
Old July 27, 2015, 06:19 PM   #2
solvability

MEK is a good choice - it can be biosynthesized from plants if you prefer.

Butanone may be produced by oxidation of 2-butanol. The dehydrogenation of 2-butanol using a catalyst is catalyzed by copper, zinc, or bronze:

CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3 → CH3C(O)CH2CH3 + H2
This is used to produce approximately 700 million kilograms yearly. Other syntheses that have been examined but not implemented include Wacker oxidation of 2-butene and oxidation of isobutylbenzene, which is analogous to the industrial production of acetone.[4]

Both liquid-phase oxidation of heavy naphtha and the Fischer-Tropsch reaction produce mixed oxygenate streams, from which 2-butanone is extracted by fractionation.[6]

Butanone is biosynthesized by some trees and found in some fruits and vegetables in small amounts. It is released to the air from car and truck exhausts.
Old July 27, 2015, 08:42 PM   #3
FITASC

Why the objection to petroleum-based?

Brake cleaner, acetone and similar are all solvents. Personally, I like Shooter's Choice
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 27, 2015, 09:26 PM   #4
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
(This is to be expected from a non harsh-solvent.)
Sure it is...just keep rationalizing it...

If you want a non-petroleum cleaner, try Gunzilla. It cleans just as well as petroleum solvent cleaners and you use about the same amount.

I've used Shooter's Choice with 20% Kroil added to it for about 30 years. I was pleasantly surprised by Gunzilla. The Gunzilla was a free sample given to me by a gun shop owner who wanted me to try it.

To my surprise, it cleaned as well as the Shooter's Choice + Kroil for fouling, although the Kroil added to the Shooter's Choice still works better if the barrel has leading.

The Kroil gets between the lead and barrel and you can clean the lead out of the barrel with a Chore Boy wrapped around a cleaning brush and pushed through the barrel.

However, for fouling and general gun cleaning, I actually bought a large bottle of Gunzilla after trying it because it has nearly zero odor.
Old July 28, 2015, 08:53 AM   #5
FITASC

Quote:
you can clean the lead out of the barrel with a Chore Boy wrapped around a cleaning brush
Remember to use the original copper Chore Boy and not the copper-coated steel Chinese import; or just use a bore brush one size larger. Simple Green can work as well as any non-petroleum product
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 28, 2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Grizz12

Quote:
Does anyone know a cheaper alternative to froglube solvent? I find myself having to use a larger quantity of it in order to get the job done. (This is to be expected from a non harsh-solvent.) So if anyone could let me in on an alternative that plays well with froglube I would appreciate it. (Keep in mind the solvent can not be petrol based.)
When I started with FL, I cleaned everything normally and then proceeded to clean to remove the oil based residue left behind. After that I applied the FL. Since then, everything wipes clean very easily without the need for harsh scrubbing.

What are you shooting and how much prior to cleaning?
Old July 28, 2015, 09:31 AM   #7
mehavey

SecretPolice, What do you need to use this (new) solvent on/for... ?**
(I'm about to recommend KG-1, but it would be good to know)

If Black Powder, nothing beats plain old squirt of dishsoap in a quart of warm water
If smokeless, nothing beats two sopping patches of KG-1/dry-patched out.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:36 PM   #8
TheSecretPolice

Im using it for general use. Primarily for my black guns. The amount of shooting ranges from 20 rounds to 1k rounds. For those asking whats wrong with petrol based lubes, FL starts to become tacky when mixed with petrol in storage. That is why they recommend you use non petroleum products. I know it is a pain but IMO the benefits outweigh the drawbacks with this product.
Old July 29, 2015, 12:16 AM   #9
mehavey

KG-1 then
-Water-base
-No-smell
-Superb carbon remover (and fair on copper as well)

If a real copper magnet, use a sopping patch of Kg-12 afterwards.
Dry patch out. Done
Old July 29, 2015, 04:21 AM   #10
TheSecretPolice

Thanks! Ill have to pick some up
Old July 29, 2015, 07:13 PM   #11
Catfish King

Quote:
MEK is a good choice - it can be biosynthesized from plants if you prefer.

Butanone may be produced by oxidation of 2-butanol. The dehydrogenation of 2-butanol using a catalyst is catalyzed by copper, zinc, or bronze:

CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3 → CH3C(O)CH2CH3 + H2
This is used to produce approximately 700 million kilograms yearly. Other syntheses that have been examined but not implemented include Wacker oxidation of 2-butene and oxidation of isobutylbenzene, which is analogous to the industrial production of acetone.[4]

Both liquid-phase oxidation of heavy naphtha and the Fischer-Tropsch reaction produce mixed oxygenate streams, from which 2-butanone is extracted by fractionation.[6]

Butanone is biosynthesized by some trees and found in some fruits and vegetables in small amounts. It is released to the air from car and truck exhausts.
This is exactly what I was going to say.

Tags
froglube , gun cleaning , solvent