The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 16, 2014, 10:37 AM   #1
SCDeac82

Benelli-Your input requested...

Hi Guys:

Do any of you have much trigger time on the Benelli shotguns?

What's the difference between the SBE II and the Super Vinci?

Quality vs. Beretta, Browning, etc.?

Thanks much.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 16, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
PetahW

Because I never shot/handled a Vinci - only SBE's & Montefeltro's - I can only say that I like the Montrfeltro's receiver config (in particular the barrel attachment design) better than the SBE's.

For some reason, though, the SBE's felt recoil seemed harsher than a Montefeltro's with the same ammo (deer slugs) - although IDK why.

Old April 16, 2014, 04:55 PM   #3
BigJimP

I have a lot of trigger time on a Benelli Super Sport ...both in 12ga and a 20ga.../ very nice guns, solid, clean shooting, light...nothing not to like....

Beretta owns Benelli ...and some other mfg's ....Benelli is mostly Inertia operated guns vs gas guns / Beretta is all gas guns / most of the Brownings are gas guns....

Quality on Beretta, Benelli and Browning are all very good...no reason not to buy any of them.

Fit is the issue on shotguns ...so buy a gun with some adjustability ( shims between the stock and receiver, maybe an adjustable comb, etc..) and you'll be better off. I a shotgun does not "Fit" you properly, it will not hit where you look - because your eye is the rear sight....so length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel are all critical issues..especially if you buy a shotgun with no adjustability.

You can look up the specs on the SBE and Vinci ...and figure that out...
---------
Couple of thoughts....

a. Inertia guns will give you more recoil than gas operated guns...so buy a Benelli that has the Comfort Tech system in it ( but it has to be a synthetic stocked gun to do that )...they can't put it in a wood stocked gun.

b. Inertia guns shoot way cleaner than even the newest gas operated guns...but is it really a factor ?? No, not if you clean them and take care of them.

c. Weight....the heavier the gun /the less recoil for a given shell. But heavier in the field ...is more work...

d. Figure out the specs on what "Fits" you before you buy ...or a purchase may be a real problem.../ talk to guys at your local gun club - maybe put some shells thru a few guns, etc....
-----------
Benelli Super Sport does everything I need a semi-auto to do....light, easy to carry / pretty good all around gun if I only want to take one gun vs a Trap gun, a Skeet gun, etc.../ they are good training guns / good foul weather gun..

It would not be my first choice as a waterfowl gun ....but I have taped it up and done some duck hunting with it as well...

My primary guns for Skeet, Sporting Clays, Trap and Upland birds ....are all Browning Citori Over Unders.../ but I take the Benelli Super Sport when I travel by air...vs the more expensive over unders / with the airlines and guns being such a hassle - and the potential for loss or scratches, high in my opinion.

Last edited by BigJimP; April 16, 2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old April 17, 2014, 06:46 AM   #4
SCDeac82

Thanks for the sage advice Jim.
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson