The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 7, 2013, 08:59 PM   #101
Fishing_Cabin

I don't know of anyone who has used google as of recently (last several months). There are more companies that are providing us with more search engines to use instead as time goes on without the "google-restrictions"... At the end of the day google is a business, and their business doesn't suit me so I go elsewhere.
Old June 28, 2014, 05:56 AM   #102
Luger_carbine

Google to further tighten policy concerning firearms

I know this thread is old but Google seems to be changing their policy so I thought I would just put this here rather than open a new thread.

If I read this correctly, Google will stop providing search results on firearms and firearms related products starting in September

https://support.google.com/adwordspo...en#survey=true

I am not quite sure how this will work, my theory is that if you typed in S&W 686, Google might return links for things like articles and forum entries about S&W 686, the Wikipedia page for the 686, but it would not return the link for the S&W website / product page, nor would it return a link for Gun Broker or Bud's or any site that sells the S&W 686
Old June 28, 2014, 06:46 AM   #103
Salmoneye

Those appear to be changes to their 'advertising'...

It sounds like 'search' will work, but they will not take customers for 'ads' with those items...
Old June 28, 2014, 10:11 AM   #104
barnbwt

"Don't be evil"
--Google corporate motto

It's wonderful that such a benevolent company is willing to make decisions on what we should see for us, so we don't have to be exposed to things detrimental to the greater good

TCB

PS- Anyone who thinks Google's ads and search results aren't the same thing doesn't understand their business model . I expect all sales ads to drop in ranking, and we'll probably be left with more encyclopedia and forum results in their place (or maybe just links to sites promoting sensible gun laws )
Old June 28, 2014, 12:35 PM   #105
Tom Servo
Staff

Actually, Google has been blocking firearms-related advertising for a few months now. It's not a new thing.

Despite how ubiquitous they are, Google is still a private corporation and not a public service we're entitled to. They can make these decisions if they want.
Old July 1, 2014, 10:59 AM   #106
HK_Flo

Interesting.

They sure don't have a problem making money off firearms videos on youtube.

Wonder if they will kill those next.
Old July 1, 2014, 11:34 AM   #107
Skans

I've been using duckduckgo as my primary search engine for a couple years now. Rarely do I use Google any longer. Good riddance to a gun-hating group of geeks!!
Old July 1, 2014, 12:25 PM   #108
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They sure don't have a problem making money off firearms videos on youtube. Wonder if they will kill those next.
Thousands of mall ninjas everywhere would cry out in protest, more than a few would have to get real jobs, and it would cut off a lot of political hysteria and technical disinformation to the general public.
Old July 1, 2014, 01:16 PM   #109
Unlicensed Dremel

I emailed them numerous times tongue in cheek, asking them to please also ban bows/arrows, swords, etc (how on earth can you allow the sale of such weapons, which have only one purpose - to kill!?!?). I was hoping they'd actually do it to demonstrate the absurdity of "where do you draw the line", because I was all ready with my "please ban slingshots" email. I won't buy *anything* through Google shop, obviously, and neither should anyone else.