The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2009, 08:17 AM   #1
possumman

870 Tactical/870 Police

I'm curious to know the difference between the Remington 870 Tactical, which says 'tactical' on the receiver and has factory 2 shot extention, rem choke breacher tube, and the gun metal powder coat finish and the 870P. Is this the same gun basically, if not what are the differences?
Old May 2, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
SPUSCG

I believe the police has a 14 inch barrel
Old May 2, 2009, 10:52 AM   #3
dogtown tom

The 870 Police is a model series patterned on the Wingmaster line and available in several models/options.
Most common are 18" barrels.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 2, 2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Yodwinder

If I'm wrong I'm sure the others will correct me but I was under the impression that the tactical was based off of the Express model?

So, under that assumption I give you the following (I copy and pasted this from someone elses post. Even if the tac isn't based on Express it's still some good info.)

Quote:
The Express is Remington's "budget" gun, made to compete with the cheaper to make Winchester and Mossberg guns.

The Wingmaster is Remington "Cadillac" top-of-the-line sporting gun.

The Police is a Wingmaster with a dull finish and is a much more carefully inspected and built gun.

How Remington lowered the Express price was to reduce hand labor to a bare minimum, and to eliminate much of the polishing and de-burring the better quality Wingmaster and Police guns get.

The Express is basically the same forged and milled steel receiver and heavy-duty internals gun the better 870's are, just in a rougher, less well finished form with plastic and MIM parts.

The Express Model has:
A plastic trigger group.
The dimples in the mag tube and the new style plastic magazine retention system, EXCEPT on the extended magazine version, which does NOT have the dimples.
A rougher finish inside and outside, with machine marks and some burrs left.
A rougher, bead blasted blue job.
A less polished bore.
A two piece barrel. (not 100% sure about this)
Hardwood or synthetic stock, with a sporting-length fore end and pressed-in checkering.
The Defense version has 18", Cylinder bore barrel, with a bead sight.
Some Metal Injection Molded (MIM) parts, like the extractor.
Has the locking safety button.

The Wingmaster has:
An aluminum trigger group.
The old style magazine retention system.
A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs.
The Wingmaster gun receives a higher level of inspection and finishing.
A fine, commercial polished blue finish.
A polished bore.
A one piece barrel.
A chrome plated bolt.
Walnut stocks with the famous "Bowling Pin" finish in gloss or satin and better checkering.
Wide choices in barrel lengths and choke options.
No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled.
The Wingmaster is the full top-of-the-line commercial Remington pump gun, and is priced accordingly.

The 870 Police has:
An aluminum trigger group.
The old style magazine retention system.
A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs.
The Police gun receives a higher level of inspection and finishing.
A military-grade parkerized finish.
A polished bore.
A one piece barrel.
Walnut or synthetic stock, with a short police-length fore end.
The Remington “R3” super recoil pad that reduced felt recoil by 30%.
Choices in different stocks, including Speedfeed, and others.
18" to 20" improved cylinder barrel, with a wide choice in sights, including rifle, ghost ring, and luminous.
Police options like magazine extenders, forearms with built-in lights, and sling swivels.
Heavy-duty magazine spring.
Heavy-duty trigger-sear spring.
Sling swivel mounts.
No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled.

The Express is a "bottom of the line" budget gun, the Wingmaster is a "top of the line" sporting gun, the Police is the top-of-the-line in defense guns.
The 870's are generally considered to be the finest quality pump gun made.

Here's what Remington says about their Police guns:

REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, LE DIVISION
Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns
The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market.
It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality.
All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences.
It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models.
Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.
While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police.
To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance. Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.
Old May 2, 2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Yodwinder

Also, I called my local supplier of Remington LE firearms and the base model for the 870 Police is around $400, this obviously may vary due to shipping costs etc.

But that was with the wood stock. Of course, if you're planning on switching out stocks that won't matter anyways.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:20 PM   #6
TxGun

JMO, but I will not buy another Express, which I believe the Tactical is based on, having had somewhat bad experiences with the two Express models I've owned over the years. I like Wingmasters and if I want a bird gun I find an older Wingmaster. Similarly, if I want a HD/SD gun, I buy an older Wingmaster and convert it. I have a half dozen of each persuasion. The Police model would certainly be just as good, and probably better, for HD/SD than the Wingmasters I prefer. The Express feels cheaply built, though admittedly, I'm probably just spoiled. Again, JMO.

Last edited by TxGun; May 2, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Scubasimmons

TxGun, it sounds like you and I have had similar experiences. I have an 870 express that was my starter shotgun for bird hunting. Everything I read tells me these guns are bullet proof, but I've had many instances of double feed, jams, non ejections and some very rough slide action. I've been meaning to take it apart to try and make the action smoother. I have since upgraded to a Browning gold 3.5" auto and it's a sweet shooter.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:17 AM   #8
Revolver_Ocelot

From what I understand the 870 Police model is manufactured with better material and parts than the Express/Tactical. I believe it's produced in a different factory with higher quality control because police officers rely on it to protect their lives.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:20 AM   #9
TxGun

Post #4 explains it all.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:01 AM   #10
zippy13

Yodwinder's posting (#4) provides a good comparison between the various Remington 870 models. For the quoted posting to call the Wingmaster "Cadillac" top-of-the-line sporting gun may be a stretch. Let's not forget, the majority of the Remington Police guns in service were the low bid gun. Long before the introduction of the 870 Express, many considered the Wingmaster a budget sporting gun. While comparing the 870 Wingmaster to other Remington 870 models, let's not assume it surpasses all the offerings by the other manufacturers.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:32 AM   #11
TxGun

It says the Wingmaster is Remington's top of the line sporting gun. I take this to be a quote from Remington. One may or may not agree with that, given their other offerings...like the 1100...but if Remington chose to advertise it that way, then so be it. It's simply marketing hyperbole. As far as pump guns go, it is my recollection that the Wingmaster was always more expensive than any of Winchester's replacements for the late, great, Model 12 and certainly more expensive than Mossberg's competitors, which of course, led Remington to market the Express. The Ithaca 37 was definitely a great shotgun. The Browning BPS is too. The High Standard was a decent gun. The Savage pump (Model 67?) was O.K. But I don't know that any domestic manufactured pump gun has demonstratively better design/quality than the Remington 870 Wingmaster/Police, or has a network of support as powerful as the 870 has always had...an important factor for police sales. I have all the guns mentioned except the Savage, multiples of most in fact, and while I love all of them and they all have their strong and weak points, overall I don't think I'd rate any of them as clearly superior to the 870 Wingmaster/Police. JMO. Most of those other guns just could not compete strongly enough in the market after the 870 and Mossberg 500 got cranked up. They either become niche players, or died out altogether.

Last edited by TxGun; May 3, 2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old May 3, 2009, 06:52 AM   #12
StuntManMike

For the last few years, the Police models have been coming with the polymer trigger guards. This is not something to be worried about as the polymer ones will survive a beating that the powdered metal trigger guards will not. 870P models are built on a different assembly line by senior personel and under go more rigorous QC. The most important difference to me is that the 870P is parkerized while the Express models are matte blued.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Lee Lapin

Y'all keep right on throwing off on Express guns. That will help keep the price down on them for those of us who know better.

Police guns come with a variety of barrel optons. They used to be available with a couple of different finishes as well- a deep blue, and phosphate/parkerizing. I don't see any blued ones still being offered, but they still turn up as new/old stock or used guns. See http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870.htm for current 870P offerings.

fwiw,

lpl
Old May 3, 2009, 10:26 PM   #14
Cerick

Wow. When buying my 870 desert TAC recon I was under the assumption that was at least as good as the wingmaster or police. I got fooled. Especially because I spent $600 for it.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:28 PM   #15
Yodwinder

Cer, I know what you're saying. I'm looking at buying my first gun now, and I was looking at the Tac as well. I did a bit more research now though and I'm definitely going with the 870P. I plan to change out stocks and everything anyways.

Sucks this thread didn't happen previously, though.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:06 PM   #16
Cerick

I know. I'm considering trading my TAC to get a Police.