The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 28, 2008, 02:41 PM   #1
fat old gun nut

need opinions

Just bought a M-1 carbine in great shape with 3812829 stamped in the stock. It also shows C.A.I. Georgia, Vermont. Stamped on the barrel below the sight is stamped I.B.M.Corp.

Paid $550 stock & bore show use but are in good shape. Good deal or snookered?
Old September 28, 2008, 03:27 PM   #2
PetahW

Snookered.

The "C.A.I., Georgia, Vermont" markings are a forgery by Ebonians, who can't spell well because they don't fully understand English.
(It should be: CIA)

Ship that puppy to me, and I'll give you a couple of C-notes for it, so you can get back at least some of your money - nice guy that I am.

Old September 28, 2008, 04:42 PM   #3
SilentHitz

I think it's a good deal, surplus M1 carbines are drying up. Check Fulton Armory and see the $1,100 price tag on a rebuilt.

I'm no M1 guru by any means, but I have 2 in my safe, and wouldn't sell either one for less than $800...but that's just me. I like them too much to sell them at all, they sure wouldn't go cheap.
Old September 28, 2008, 06:26 PM   #4
jrfoxx

Assuming it's in good shape, I'd call it an average, to slightly above average deal. CMP carbines (last I looked when I got mine about 4-5 months ago) were going in the $500-$600 range in pretty good shape (based on the condition of my Saginaw service grade), and the same guns gor for anywhere from $50-$300 above CMP prices from all the other places/people selling them that I have seen.

But, it doesnt matter, becasue without pics, it never happened. Post pics or I call you a liar!
Old September 29, 2008, 07:24 PM   #5
fat old gun nut

M1 carbine

My other question is what is the number on the stock? I that the serial #? Surely not since it is on the wooden (easily replaced) stock

Thanks all.