The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 22, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Bellasogno

Firearms book recommendation for a semi-newbie

Hello Members,

As the subject suggests, I'm not totally new to firearms, but somewhat so. I currently own several handguns and several long guns, participate in range shooting on a regular basis, have a CC permit, have attended training, and am hungry for more knowledge on this wonderful sport.

I'm interested in learning more about calibers, the inner workings or firearms, and a book that will offer plenty of visuals, and just a fun read for someone like me.

What are your suggestions, please?
Old July 22, 2012, 04:33 PM   #2
BarryLee

I like the "NRA Firearms Source Book" for an all around general read. For tactical related books anything by Massad Ayoob is pretty good I have "Combat Shooting" which I think is his most recent.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 22, 2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Creeper

You're talking about... literally hundreds of books. The best books on guns are the books that specialize in a specific model or brand. The more generic, the less specific information on any given gun.

I'd consider what guns you have the greatest interest in, and use that in your general search.

Ammunition... that can be covered a bit better in a generic book, but again... specifics are better. At least try to separate by rifle, handgun and shotgun.

There is so much information on the interwebnet that if you have a bit of patience, and can tell the difference between pig poop and pearls of wisdom... you can compile your own data as you choose.

Cheers,
C
Old July 23, 2012, 07:50 AM   #4
respro

Massad Ayoob

Get the book from Massad Ayoob titled "in the gravest extreme". It is a bit dated on loads but it is one of the "must read" books in my opinion. You can buy it online or see if your local library has it. Everyone who carries needs to know what happens or what could happen after the shooting. This book will address this in detail as well as other topics.
Tyler
Old July 23, 2012, 09:21 AM   #5
g.willikers

To satisfy your request, the first thing is to clear off a complete shelf or two on your largest book case.
Then head over to the online sellers of those kinds of books.
Brownells, Midwayusa, Amazon, and web searches should get you started up and running.
Also download the owners manuals for specific guns from the manufacturers web sites, for exploded parts views and disassembly info.
Old July 23, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Edward429451

I know you asked about the inner workings of firearms, and these two books are not about that, nevertheless, are good coffee table books. Easy to read, lots of visuals, and certainly related, though not specifically what you asked for. The books are must reads imo. a ggood handgun shooting book is "Practical Shooting-Beyond Fundemenatals" by Brian Enos. The rifle book is "The Art of the Rifle" by Jeff Cooper.

HTH.
Old July 23, 2012, 09:48 PM   #7
ltc444

A book that i all ways recommend is Skeeter Skelton's book on misses.I have not been able to find it but if you can it is a great read.

Funny as all get out but also one of the best books on firearms Safety I have ever read.
Old July 24, 2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Bellasogno

Thanks for the replies!

I'll check a few of these out.
Old July 24, 2012, 07:55 AM   #9
.45 CAL

There are a few books that I would recommend to any handgunner; First the basics: If you want to understand different calibers, pick up any reloading handbook to begin to understand basic ballistics and how they are affected by different bullet weights and their trajectories by powder charge. I’m not suggesting that you start reloading but rather use that information to make more informed decisions regarding what caliber(s) you may want to build a gun around. There are two books that really helped me take my shooting to the next level, that is hitting when and what I want. “The Art and Science of Basic Handgun Accuracy” by W.W. Butler and his follow up book; “The Armed Option: Zen in the Art of Combat Pistolcraft” by W.W. Butler. Both compliment one another, are quick reads and offer information that is easy to understand and implement.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Stressfire

Gunfight makes for a pretty interesting read. Won't give you inner workings, but good for some perspective

Shooter's Bible is IMO a good reference as well
Old July 24, 2012, 09:32 AM   #11
booker_t

I recommend the following to get you started. More technique and pistolcraft than mechanics, but there is some.

Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals, Brian Enos
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Shoo...9648679&sr=8-2

Refinement and Repetition, Steve Anderson
http://www.amazon.com/Refinement-Rep.../dp/1930847769

Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight, Andy Stafford
http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Speed...9648722&sr=1-1

T.A.P.S. Tactical Application of Practical Shooting: Recognize the void in your tactical training, Patrick McNamara
http://www.amazon.com/P-S-Tactical-A...=1CL07PD0KL43J

Tactical Pistol Shooting: Your Guide to Tactics & Techniques that Work, Eric Lawrence
http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Pisto...9648953&sr=1-1

The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, Massad Ayoob
http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Boo.../ref=pd_cp_b_1

The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry, Massad Ayoob
http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Boo.../ref=pd_cp_b_2

Stressfire, Vol. 1 (Gunfighting for Police: Advanced Tactics and Techniques), Massad Ayoob
http://www.amazon.com/Stressfire-Vol...u-wl_list-recs