The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 7, 2011, 08:47 PM   #1
C.W.S.

Just want to make sure

Just making sure before this weekend when I have to go trap shooting this weekend that the ** in the **S on the side of my barrel means that it is a modified choke...I will save me from having to go find a modified choke for my Mossberg 835. The gun is a Browning.
Old April 7, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
zippy13

**S on a Browning barrel is for Skeet. Not exactly a trap gun.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:04 AM   #3
oneounceload

Here's a chart:

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

** is Modified, **$ is Skeet
Old April 8, 2011, 10:57 AM   #4
BigJimP

I thought we had this cleared up last week ....

each barrel should be marked independently ....but if for some odd reason there is only one mark on the gun / **S - then it means both barrels are choked "Skeet" .... but there should be 2 sets of marks ...
Old April 8, 2011, 09:38 PM   #5
C.W.S.

Yes, i did ask this last week, but I used a caliper to measure the bore at the end of the barrel and it came out to me right at the numbers from browning that show it being a Modified???...anyways I bought a choke for my Mossberg 835 so im fine, i just really liked shooting that browning... So now that brings me back to ** meaning modified, and the S standing for it coming in the skeet set?...all I know is it surprised me that it measured out to be EXACTALLY a Modified choke. I even checked 2 more time just so i wasent seeing things.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:42 PM   #6
C.W.S.

They were both the same at approx. .731, which is right in the modified numbers for a browning gun...
Old April 9, 2011, 01:59 AM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
They were both the same at approx. .731, which is right in the modified numbers for a browning gun…
The only fixed choke standard production O/Us, that I'm aware of, with identical chokes are Skeet guns. They are designed to shoot two targets at close range. Other target and field O/Us have a tighter choke for a longer second shot.

With respect to your 0.731 measurements, I don't know why you think they're in the modified numbers -- they are out of range:
A modified 12-ga choke typically has about 0.020 constriction, and a Skeet choke has about 0.005.
The standard European 12-ga* is about 0.725 and the US standard is 0.729.
If you subtract 0.020 from these you get a modified choke in the neighborhood of 0.705 to 0.709.
Or, with 0.005 you get a Skeet choke in the neighborhood of 0.720 to 0.724.
European 12-ga*
Browning's O/U manufacturing history is based in Liege, Belgium.
Your measures of 0.731 are more in the neighborhood of 12-ga (over-bored) cylinder bore chokes. You may have misread your calipers, and the actual measurements were 0.721. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of Browning Skeet chokes at approximately 0.721 (0.725 - 0.721 = 0.004). I don't see a similar misread that would result in modified chokes. Like it, or not, there's a high degree of certainty that your chokes are both Skeet.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:55 AM   #8
C.W.S.

Heres the numbers from browning and it says .728 is modified...and my .731 is very close to that that is only .003 difference. Very small. And my ol caliper could be a lil off for all I know. Maybe I just need to go pattern it at 35yds, because thats where im assuming I would be pulling the trigger at a trap range.

Heres the chart I was using
http://www.browning.com/customerserv...ail.asp?id=100
Old April 9, 2011, 11:56 AM   #9
TheKlawMan

Loking at that chart, it makes a big difference whether you have a 12 gauge Invector or Invector Plus.
Old April 9, 2011, 06:16 PM   #10
zippy13

K-Law, my friend, C.W.S. wishes his chokes to be modified, so he's misinterpreted the chart to fit his expectations. In reality, his gun has factory fixed chokes (otherwise the barrels wouldn't have a choke code). Neither the Invector nor the Invector Plus chart column is applicable, they are both screw-in choke systems. He should be looking in the Fixed Choke column. There, Browning's modified is 0.705 -- which is exactly what I postulated.
Old April 9, 2011, 06:25 PM   #11
zippy13

"...that is only .003 difference. Very small."
In the world of comp chokes, .003 is a significant number. I have screw-ins that are less that .003 apart and they definitely perform differently.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:01 PM   #12
TheKlawMan

Hi Zippy. I see the fixed choke column for a 12 gauge that you are talking about. I failed to pick up on it being a fixed choke barrel. I also see threads on other forums say that a stamped **$ means a barrel has a fixed skeet choke.
Old April 11, 2011, 11:21 AM   #13
BigJimP

On a fixed choke gun ....whether its part of a 4 barrel skeet set or not ....the marks all mean the same thing. So the **$ means the barrel is choked for "Skeet" ....not that its a modified barrel in a skeet set.

But where we might be losing you ...is you have to measure the bore of the barrel ( past the chambers --- and into the barrel ) .... and get a measurement on the barrel .....then measure the choke ...and calculate the difference ...which is the "choke". It really isn't possible to do that with a caliper / although like Zippy suggested - you can estimate it vs the US standard for a 12ga.

The measurement you're taking at the end of the barrel is only relevent - when measured against the inside of the bore diameter ( so you need a bore gague) ...to do it right / but I suspect all this is moot ....since its pretty safe to assume its a "Skeet choke" ...