The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2011, 04:42 PM   #26
aarondhgraham

I was in the same boat you are in,,,

I can't tell you what is the best 9mm out there,,,
Best is such a subjective term.

After shooting somewhere around 40 different 9mm pistols,,,
I decided I liked the DA/SA pistols with an exposed hammer.

I eventually bought a CZ-75B and could not be happier.

grapevinebill gave you the best advice,,,

Quote:
Try to find a range where you can shoot as many guns as you can rent. Get a feel for the one that you like and fits your needs.
You may despise DA/SA actions,,,
You might fall in love with Ruger DAO pistols,,,
Or (Heaven forbid) you might decide to go for a ~choke~ Glock.

Last month a good friend of mine bought a Springfield XDM,,,
I truly do not like that gun even one little bit,,,
But he loves it and therefore shoots it,,,
He despises my CZ-75B by the way.

It's all subjective my friend,,,
Pay no attention to us fanboys,,,
Rent, borrow, and shoot lots of guns,,,
Buy the one that fits your hand and makes you smile when you hold it.

That will be the "best" gun for you.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 14, 2011, 05:32 PM   #27
C0untZer0

I had a Browning High-Power and I regret the fact that I no longer have it. But it's not the best 9 ever made. The best 9 ever made was the H&K P7M8. I have had one since 1985 and it has never experienced a failure of any kind. I absolutely feel 100% sure that this pistol will fire when I need it to and that it will not fail me.

I personally find slide mounted controls difficult to operate.

I don't like de-cockers.

I don't like any safeties that flip UP, but that's my preferences.

I don't like Glock triggers.

I don't like most DOA triggers.

I don't like DA/SA triggers.

The XD trigger is not great but it's not awful, so I think I could live with it.

You should rent some and see how you like them.
Old September 14, 2011, 05:39 PM   #28
vyse.04

I would also recommend shooting a few different handguns to get a feel for them first... Especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time. The last thing you want to end up getting is something that you can't/don't want to shoot.
Old September 14, 2011, 05:53 PM   #29
BigJimP

Since you won't take the time / on the recommendation to go to a range and rent some guns ....its a crapshoot ....

but it isn't about what we like / its about what you like - that fits your hands. What fits my hands at 6'5" and 275 lbs ..and hands like a cathers mitt ....isn't what you care about ....

Then it comes down to what you want ...poly, steel, ....type of sights ...specs on a trigger ( is 4.5 lbs ok / what about 6 lbs / or maybe 8 lbs ) ...do you want DAO, DAK, DA-SA ....does it need to have a safety ...or a decocker...is single stack ok ...or does it need to be a double stack ...does it have any adjustability for grip sizes ( inserts or whatever ) - can you change the grips and what does it cost ...

But to answer your question ...its my opinion that most of what Taurus makes is junk .../ so of your choices - the XD or maybe the CZ / or maybe a Glock model like a model 34 ...that has a vastly improved trigger over most other Glock models....or maybe one of the Sigs ( they make poly as well ) ....and on the higher end of many guns is a maker like Wilson Combat that is making a poly frame 1911 now and its a double stack as well..the spec ops model ..

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_specops.htm
or one of their other 1911's - that they'll make in 9mm....

The good thing is ...these days ...you have lots of choices / hopefully one will feel just right and meet your budget too / and no matter what - have fun in the process !

Personally, if I wanted a poly 9mm ...the Wilson spec ops would be high on my list....
Old September 14, 2011, 06:01 PM   #30
Nordeste

There are a LOT of factors to be considered as to reccomend this one or that one pistol in a case like yours. Is it going to be CCW or just range/HD gun?. Do you want a light polymer one or prefer the traditonal all-metal stuff?.

To make this short, let's start from the all-metal full-size pistols. I have two favourites in that league, CZ75 SP01 and Beretta 92FS. Both are heavy, accurate, reliable, easy on recoil pistols. The felt recoil and trigger are on the CZ side, but the 92FS is nowhere far from there. I'll tell you that I carry a 92 every day at work and feel quite comfortable with such a fine weapon.

If you want something lighter and more concealable, you gotta go polymer. Within this group, I have another preference for the Beretta PX4 (that's why I own one ) since I don't like the grips and trigger of Glock's, didn't like the XD when I shot it, and didn't like that much the HK USP Compact I also shot. SW M&P make for happy customers too, but you'll read complaints about their trigger, which you won't in a traditional hammer fired pistol like the PX4 is, which, besides, is quite pleasant to shoot and controllable due to its rotating barrel design.

It's quite personal. First decide the size and type of pistol you want, then try to shoot them, and it'll be easier to decide.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:14 PM   #31
travisisrad

Thanks for all the helpful hints...so here's my opinion after reading the opinions on. This thread...I've decided to MAKE time to try out the pistols I'm most interested in which have now become the XDm and the CZ I mentioned above. Any other suggestions would be considered too.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:35 PM   #32
Mrgunsngear

If you like the CZ, I say check out the P-07 model. It has the same grip angle but has some modern 'improvements' if you will. CZ makes a great product and all their models are good guns.

That said, put me down for the M&P 9 Pro (4'' with night sights). It's an awesome gun all around. Great ergos, interchangeable backstraps, night sights, awesome (for a non 1911) trigger, 100% reliability, and great accuracy. If you do a search, you'll see the review I did of mine about a month ago...

Good luck and choose what you like best in the end.
Old September 14, 2011, 08:07 PM   #33
pilpens

if your primary purpose or the pistol is target shooting, then I recommend the following 9mm pistols:
1st. 1911 (STI Spartan, Kimber Custom II, STI Trojan $1000).
2nd. EAA Witness Match.
3rd. Walther P99 - PPQ or SA/DA
3rd. Sig P22x - 226 or P225/P6 depending on your hand size.

I have shot all the pistols I recommend.
1st --- For range fun, it would be very difficult to beat a 1911. Very good SA trigger and in 9mm, the recoil is mild. I have a STI Trojan and Kimber. The STI trojan cycles smoother than the kimber but both are equally good pistols. The kimber is very accurate with remington 115 fmjs and not as well with other walmart cheap ammo while the STI seems to perform more consistently with a variety of ammo but are capable of very good accuracy given the right ammo.
2nd --- I recently shot an EAA Witness Match in 9mm. Mild felt recoil; milder than my 1911s. Trigger is very good. It felt heavier than the 1911 but felt good in the hand. If not a 1911, this would be my choice.
3rd --- Walther P99 or Sig - just pick the one that fits you better. I like both pistols.
Walther comes with several front sights for elevation adjustment and a windage adjustable rear. Walther DA/SA is very nice. The ppq trigger is nicer than glock, XD, Xdm.
Sigs - what is there to say. Its a sig, it will shoot well. My P6 is surprisingly accurate. DA is OK after a spring swap, SA is very good. I ahve also shot a 226, 229, and a 225 -- all shot well.
Walther seems to recoil sharper some polymer pistols and I do not think i would like it if it is 40 S&W. Sig (P6) seems to flip up more than others but not sharp.

I recommend the pistols listed above over glock 26, 19,17 and 34, CZ 75B SA, S&W 5906, Ruger Pxx, SA XD, M&P etc. These are good pistols, too but for primarily target shooting, 1911 or EAA witness match feels best to me.
Old September 14, 2011, 09:32 PM   #34
speedfreeq

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisisrad View Post
...I've decided to MAKE time to try out the pistols I'm most interested in which have now become the XDm and the CZ I mentioned above. Any other suggestions would be considered too.
Awesome. Good move on your part. I had just come back in for a reality check: when I decided I wanted a sidearm, I did the paperwork with the local sheriff, then I went an bought the Taurus PT111 off a buddy. I didn't shoot anything else; it was a purchase of convenience. Hell, I'd not shot a handgun since I left the Navy over a decade ago. Even if I had shot a bunch of guns beforehand, I'm not sure it would've done me any good. Ultimately I just needed to get familiar with pulling a trigger, taking care of a weapon, loading the magazines, doing the takedown. So I recant. Get whatever the hell you want. It doesn't really matter, because if you hate it, somebody will probably give you what you paid for it and you can get something else, by which time you may know some people who can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old September 15, 2011, 04:02 AM   #35
zachkuby87

Sw9ve I know I know a lot of people don't like em but I have 2 and I love em I'm actually selling my xdm to fund a different purchase rather than my sw9's
Old September 18, 2011, 12:17 PM   #36
BRE346

Taurus vs CZ

I'm sorting out a Taurus 24/7 PRO C DS and a CZ 75 P-07.
The Taurus is picky about ammo. The CZ doesn't care.
The Taurus shoots pretty well. The CZ shoots better.
I'm a Taurus fan. The CZ is giving me pause.
Old September 18, 2011, 12:22 PM   #37
Don Glock

friends don't let friends buy taurus. get a CZ or a Glock.
Old September 18, 2011, 12:45 PM   #38
tahunua001

XDM vs CZ is a much closer comparison than XDM vs TAURUS.
if it's just a range toy then I'd buy the CZ based on price. both of these guns are more designed for service carry but each has different designs to meet specific needs. non of these design differences will ever matter if all you want to kill with one is a piece of paper. they are both about equally accurate, reliable and have good reputations. the CZ being a good 100-150 dollars cheaper than the XDM would make a better range toy. if I wanted it as a service pistol I would go the extra mile and get the XDM just based off personal preference for a point and shoot safety and familiarity with the platform. your best bet would be(to beat a dead horse) to go out and rent both of these and decide which fits your hands better and what is just more fun to shoot.
Old September 18, 2011, 02:13 PM   #39
varoadking

Other than the somewhat "boutique" pieces...like the P7M8, S&W Model 39, or the Kahr PM9/P9 that is still in production...I haven't found a good reason to own any 9mm other than Glocks.

I'd sell my P30 Light LEM if I didn't know I'd take a beating on it...
Old September 18, 2011, 02:52 PM   #40
jakeLC

imo, berettas are my choice for a 9mm they are very accurate and fit me very well, but that may not be true for you so just try whatever you think you may like and hell even try a taurus i wouldnt buy one but if it works for you go for it.
Old September 21, 2011, 04:35 AM   #41
Justice06RR

If you were already looking at the XDm, go for the 3.8Compact in 9mm. Its a great gun, excellent platform and quality. Carries 19+1 rounds in the full mag if you want to carry more ammo.

I'd stay away from Taurus if you can. they're not bad, not the greatest either.
Old September 21, 2011, 04:59 AM   #42
MissouriShooter

Just unforgiving review ...

Loose Holster Dan wrote:

don't waste your money on a taurus. they are trash. my first two guns were taurus (pt917c and 24/7 pro c). as soon as i bought my first quality gun, i realized what i was missing and sold the taurus.

I've had four Taurus handguns, a PT111, a PT 145, a Judge Public Defender and a PT94 .22 revolver. All fired well and I have carried the PT MilPro 145 as a carry with full confidence. I've transferred the PT111 to my son and I wouldn't have done that without confidence in the mechanism. It replaced a KTPF-9. The Judge is a lot of fun to shoot and I keep it in the nightstand as HD and the 94 is a great trainer.

These are all handguns I can afford to keep in my inventory. Not Berettas, not Kimbers, not S&W's, not Ruger or Browning. Just solid mid-price weapons that do what they oughta and have never disappointed me in their performance.

BTW, I've also got a G26. Also mid-price.

Last edited by MissouriShooter; September 21, 2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old September 22, 2011, 12:34 PM   #43
chadio

Target 9mm?

SIG Sauer P210. Find one, pay up, be done with it
Old September 22, 2011, 05:10 PM   #44
jmstr

What about checking out the Ruger P95? It is a service sized pistol, but I've heard great things about it and it is less than $400 brand new. I like my P97 [P95 in .45 cal?] and found it more accurate [in MY hands] than a Sig P220. That was MY experience-no one else's I don't claim they are more accurate than a Sig. I only claim that I shot it more accurately than my Sig P220 or Sig P225. Really weird that was.
Old September 23, 2011, 03:00 AM   #45
10mm4ever

I've owned so many over the years, I've lost count. My absolute favorite, full size 9mm is without doubt, the Beretta 92FS. The CZ 75 and w.german SIG 226 are close behind. I refuse to recommend a plastic, striker fired zipgun with cheap stamped metal internals when I no longer own any myself. There's no shortage of excellent pistols in 9mm.

Last edited by 10mm4ever; September 23, 2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old September 23, 2011, 11:56 AM   #46
RC20

A
Quote:
s zombieslayer keyed in on, I want a plastic gun. So is the consensus that the Taurus should be off the table? I'm shopping at Bud's, and I saw the CZ SP01 Phantom had some great reviews as well. The range is out of the question because the closest one with the broadest selection is 45 min away and I haven't that kind of time to devote to trials. That's why o thought the forum would be better to see what direction I should be looking.
travisisrad is offline Report Post
As stated by one party, the first thing you need to do is sort out what action type you like. At least go to gun stores (sporting goods etc) and handle them. You can dry fire them. That gets you both a feel for the gun and how you like the two action types.

The two choices are Hammer fired called a DA/SA which stands for double action/single action). It has an exposed hammer.

Striker fired has no hammer and in various iterations cocks a firing pin like a bolt action rifle does.

XD is striker, no hammer. Glock is striker. Bother are very well done and reliable. Me, I don't like striker. Not because its bad, it just does not work for me, I like hammer fired.

Browning HP is not a poly gun no matter how much the owners rave about it, so you can rule that one out if you really want a polymer gun (the more correct term, plastic implies cheap and easily broken, polymer means what it says, a tough material that last forever).

The least expensive and highest quality DA/SA that matches up to guns for twice the price in DA/SA is the Sig SP2022. Without night sights as low as $379 at Nelson Tactical. They are out of Night Sight version now, but list them at under $400 (I bought one of the last apparently).

If the Hammer Fired action works for you, the Sig SP2022 would be my first choice to check out. Mine has been 100% reliable eating 3 different factory loads and 5 or more hand loaded configurations of three different bullets and powder combinations . Vast majority of reports indicate the same thing with great accuracy.

Assuming you like Hammer fired aka DA/SA, you may not like how the Sig SP2022 feels and handles for you, but you will not find a poly gun that good until you get into the $700+ in FN and HK.

The HK P30 grip is to die for, virtually perfect feel. I also cost $800 or more. Sig SP2022 not as good but only because the P30 is so good. Its a very good grip by any standards other than the HK.

I did see an FN-9 for $625 the other day (new). Usualy far more. Also hard to get parts or servcie for (but like HK you may never need to)
Old September 23, 2011, 03:53 PM   #47
ShootingNut

10mmForever
I will second that, no doubt the Beretta 92FS is one of the best, if not THE BEST 9mm on the market today. And, the 96FS (.40SW) is also one sweet gun to shoot.
You can tell I'm a Beretta fan, but have to say just love my XDM .45 just purchased, also a great shooter.
Regards,
SN
Old September 24, 2011, 01:27 AM   #48
Buffalo86

Being a new shooter you will need to try a number of different guns to determine what you prefer. I was recently considering several 9mm's and shot a Sig 229, Ruger P95, Bersa Thunder and Taurus PT809. I bought the Taurus. I like how it feels in my hand and how it shoots. I've put 300+ rounds through it without any trouble and it's breaking in very nicely. Shoot as many as you can, buy what feels best for you and fits in your budget. Enjoy whichever make and model you ultimately decide on.
Old September 24, 2011, 10:16 AM   #49
NVBigEd

Glock G19 for simplicity and versatility, SigPro 2022 for value for features. For $399 a SigPro offers DA/SA, excellent accuracy and is a sweet shooter.
Old September 24, 2011, 11:07 AM   #50
jmstr

I like cz's also, but they don't fit my medium-small hands for the DA trigger pull. I have to shift my grip when switching between da and sa. Of course cocked and locked and it doesn't matter

Tags
9mm , springfield , taurus