The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 16, 2014, 03:07 PM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

I haven't invested much money or time into single cartridges, but probably have 3-400 ( but there is always more than you think, by looking at them in big boxes )

as far as boxed stuff... the guy at the table next to me every year at the local gun show, sells between $500.00 - $1,000.00 worth of full shot shell boxes, with a couple metallic mixed in, every show... so I know the value on those adds up fast
Old July 18, 2014, 02:10 PM   #27
Bob Wright

Around 1975 I though I had a good collection of individual specimens of pistol and revolver cartridges. I located each cartridge as I wanted them to appear on my display. I then marked locations for four holes for each cartridge. This was on a 20" x 34" piece of 1/4" plywood. Then drilled a 1/16" dia. hole at each mark.

Then I covered the plywood with black velvet. Using brass bell wire, I wired each specimen to the backing, using two loops for most cartridges, one for the real short ones. Then went to a frame shop and had this framed with a paper backing to seal the display. Seventy five cartridges, four holes each.

I wouldn't recommend this to anybody!

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; July 18, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old July 18, 2014, 02:16 PM   #28
Bob Wright

Before the invention of computers, I made up a sheet with space for the name of my cartridge, the drew two case heads, one for centerfire, the other for rimfire, with space beside it for written description. I duplicate the headstamp by hand, then give a description and value.

I have also photographed specimens, and made an identifying card with the photo:

And:

Very seldom find full boxes of the ammo I collect.

Bob Wright
Old July 18, 2014, 07:00 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

You can also use the caption feature of Photoshop as in this picture:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...8&d=1348849327

Jim
Old May 21, 2015, 07:37 PM   #30
zmaxhunter

I think this would be a very good idea. My wife and kids have no idea what i have, the quantities, the values etc. From 44 henry cartridges to new ammo and reloading components. Thank you for the idea and pdf.
Old May 22, 2015, 07:58 PM   #31
kilimanjaro

Pretty timely resurrection of this old thread, I just returned from up the street, looking at a widow's coin collection. Her husband had spent decades telling her he wasn't spending much money, and she thought it may have been worth a few hundred dollars.

Hubby had spent decades lying to his wife. She is now going to take an asset worth easily seventy-five thousand dollars retail to some dealers to get bids on. This is not the first time I have seen this, for coins, first edition books, and guns.

Do itemize your gun stuff. Do assign costs and estimated values to it. Do total it up. Do put it all on a thumb drive and tuck it away. Do be honest with your spouse. It's better that they have an idea of what you have than the idea of little value.