The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1
bozhoz

Hornady dies in Lee Turret

Hey folks, have a Hornady LNL single-stage press with quite a few dimension dies. Thinking about getting a Lee Classic/Deluxe turret press to speed up my pistol round output, but didn't know if the dimension dies would work in the turret? It sounds like they would, but some have mentioned the long rings are too big, or you need an extra part for the press? Just want to make sure if I do this I don't have to buy all new Lee dies? Thanks!
Old December 22, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
kle

I believe the dies will work, but you'll need some lock-rings. Hornady makes some pretty good lock-rings that will work with any standard dies (including Hornady's dies).
Old December 23, 2010, 07:35 AM   #3
wwmkwood

The Lee is a great press, I used mine for almost 2 years before I took the next step, a full progressive. You are already using the LNL bushings, save for the AP. To answer your question, yes your dies and lock rings will work fine. The problem is going the other way, the Lee dies are to short to use with the Lee lock rings in the LNL AP.
Old December 23, 2010, 09:38 AM   #4
bozhoz

Thank you for the replies, as I am doing more investigating, it appears as though the Hornady flare dies (dimension models) are not through-powder dies, so it seems like I might as well just get some Lee dies (4-piece set with factory crimp die) anyways? Press has been ordered. Looking forward to using it!
Old December 23, 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
flashhole

I use Hornady dies in my Lee Classic Turret press. The Hornady lock rings are too big (long) to get all the dies into the turret. The Lee die rings work really well on any manufacturers dies that you want to use with the Lee turret.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 23, 2010, 06:02 PM   #6
LOUD

save up and go for the Hornady LnL Ap you wont be sorry and everything will switch with no issues.I am I lucky fellow to have both the classic and the Ap . you cant go wrong with Hornady , customer service is great too!. Merry Christmas ! ........LOUD
Old December 24, 2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmkwood
yes your dies and lock rings will work fine. The problem is going the other way, the Lee dies are to short to use with the Lee lock rings in the LNL AP.
My Lee .45 ACP dies work okay in my LnL AP. My Hornady sizer die for .40 S&W works fine in a Lee Loadmaster. I expect the Hornady dies will work in a Lee turret.
Old December 24, 2010, 11:21 AM   #8
flashhole

The Hornady die rings are oblong in shape with the flats on the narrow width. The long side is too long to tighten the die. It hits the one beside it. There is not enough room on the turret or the die is too long. Choose whatever viewpoint you like but they won't work with a Lee Classic Turret Press turret.

Old December 24, 2010, 01:14 PM   #9
BigJakeJ1s

Since the dies are usually left in place on the LCT turret disk, you may be able to get a Hornady lock ring on the bottom of alternate dies in the turret disk, allowing room for the Hornady lock rings. Use lock rings on top for two opposing dies, and on bottom for the other two opposing dies.

Just a thought; it might save you from having to buy different lock rings. The Hornady seating die is definitely worth it, even if you have to replace the lock ring. This is the only place where I would use the Lee lock rings I normally replace, since the dies never leave the turret disk.

Andy
Old December 24, 2010, 06:43 PM   #10
flashhole

These are Hornady dies is a Lee turret. The tweener die is a Redding die with a Lee lock ring that was installed afer the Hornady dies were installed on the turret.