The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 19, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Doublea A

Firearm Owners Becareful with Online Posting

Hello Fellow Enthusiast

As firearm owners, we should be very careful of what we post online i.e. Facebook, twitter, YouTube, etc.

I was watching a trial about a criminal case i.e., allegedly self-defense shooting. The lawyer was requesting a subpoena from the judge to be issue to Facebook, twitter etc. to obtain posting and comments to show a pattern of reputation or behavior. The lawyer went on to say that the person posting a UFC videos on his account indicated he may be a violent person

My concern is that as firearm enthusiasts we love to post and comment on firearm related issues and I'm worried that some of our postings can be used against us in self-defense situation. I for one don't have a Facebook or twitter account but I do have a YouTube account which I subscribe to other channels but have not posted any videos yet.

It will suck if you are involved in a legitimate self-defense shouting only for the overzealous prosecutor to find something through these medium to send you to jail. Remember emotions play a lot in trials even with clear evidence.

Am I paranoid?
Old October 19, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
9mm1033

Quote:
Am I paranoid?
You know, maybe you are not paranoid. Today's world is electronic. It's all out there floating around space. And I believe the government, in some strange way has the ability to know you. By legal means or illegal ways of taping into your account(s). I think you are being realistic in your thinking for the 21st. century. The example you gave seems very feasible. By careful what you print over the internet waves. Someone is watching, reading, and/or listening. If not the government, some geeky, 14 year old nerd, with acne sitting in his grandma's basement. Be careful, be very careful.
Old October 19, 2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublea A
Am I paranoid?
No. That's not paranoia; it's a simple realization that what you post online is not private. I've had several attorneys tell me stories about using someone's Facebook postings against them in proceedings, like where a man posts pictures of himself with his new girlfriend . . . while he's still married. It's also the reason that you'll often see me post things like "get a lawyer and quit posting about this online" when someone starts a "did I commit a felony" thread.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:12 PM   #4
p loader

I guess it's a good thing I do not have a FB or Twitter account. I have no need to share my life with fake online friends, or people from my past who I could care less about.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Nico Testosteros

I, on the other hand, do enjoy seeing what old high school or military buddies are up to. I am somewhat careful what I say or post, but not anally so.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
jmr40

Nothing wrong with posting. It is the content. If you are posting in a responsible manner it can also be used to prove to a jury that you are a reasonable person who has always tried to do the right thing.

Sometimes we think some forums are over moderated, I certainly do, but part of that is to protect us and the forums from looking like irresponsible gun owners.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
youngunz4life

I know someday your grandson or great-grandson might get the 'rights' to your emails via "family history" and see stuff about you.

this isn't directed towards anyone, but someday there will be a time when this might happen.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:03 PM   #8
SIGSHR

1. "Loose lips sink ships."
2. "Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead." B. Franklin
3. "Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear."
4. "We were given tongues to hide our thoughts." Talleyrand.
No FB or Twitter or MySpace accounts here. Privacy, like fitness and gun safety, must be practiced constantly. There is no more privacy on the Web than there is walking down Main Street on a sunny day or driving on the Highway, hence one must conduct oneself accordingly.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Vireye

The worst I have was a couple pictures on my facebook from when I took a friend of mine to the range for the first time. I made sure we used bullseye targets as opposed to silhuettes for paranoia reasons...

That being said, I have no other pictures/references to my firearms, even the ones I desperately want to show off... (that's what I have you all for!)
Old October 19, 2012, 06:49 PM   #10
TailGator

I see posts on forums that I would not want to come up in court, the ones of the "Kill them all and let God sort them out" sort. It well behooves responsible people to always act and write and post in a responsible manner. And I don't post any pictures or references to firearms anywhere I can be readily identified to avoid being targeted by thieves; the black market in firearms is considerable in size.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:51 PM   #11
TAKtical

Just because you are paranoid doesnt mean they arent out to get you
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 19, 2012, 07:29 PM   #12
p loader

I really don't believe anything is safe. Emails, text messages, social networks and any other forms of communication can be easily laid bare for everyone to see if the right organization deems it necessary.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There is an old saying, that proves itself increasingly valid day by day:

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me."
Old October 19, 2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It is well established that lawyers will seek to use your online posts against you. That's why we close threads with lengthy descriptions of unsolved legal issues. People can and do say stupid things that can get them in trouble.

Even from casual conversation, lawyers will seek to use your words against you if you should ever be involved in a defensive situation. That's why saying things about how intruders better watch out because you're shooting first and asking later is so stupid. Should you ever shoot an intruder, you can BET on seeing those words in court.

Naturally, it's quite convenient to believe in things like retreat when possible and valuing human life. That way, you don't have to worry about your words betraying you. You'll actually say and believe the same thing.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:33 AM   #15
rebs

I don't think you are paranoid just realistic. I have also thought about guys that post most or all their guns in their signature or just post online all the guns they have. I feel if a thief sees what you have and can find your address he could make you an excellent target for a break in robbery etc..
Be careful what you type and don't list your assets online.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:09 AM   #16
Oysterboy

If you give up your right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you.

That's pretty much everything, verbal and written.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Unimog

Hopefully everybody also realizes that pretty much all Internet content is archived. Retracting or deleting a comment even when possible doesn't necessarily mean it goes away.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:28 AM   #18
Sparks1957

Quote:
Naturally, it's quite convenient to believe in things like retreat when possible and valuing human life. That way, you don't have to worry about your words betraying you. You'll actually say and believe the same thing
Words of wisdom there, Brian. I hope I never have to use my guns in self-defense. However, I have the will and training to do so IF there is no other alternative.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Tanglefoot

When I posted this, there were 1648 active users in the forums. Over 1400 were guests. The daily traffic is much higher. That's significantly higher than chatting with the boys in the break room.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:29 PM   #20
22-rimfire

Quote:
Brian Pfleuger said... It is well established that lawyers will seek to use your online posts against you. That's why we close threads with lengthy descriptions of unsolved legal issues. People can and do say stupid things that can get them in trouble.

Even from casual conversation, lawyers will seek to use your words against you if you should ever be involved in a defensive situation. That's why saying things about how intruders better watch out because you're shooting first and asking later is so stupid. Should you ever shoot an intruder, you can BET on seeing those words in court.
I have always wondered just how this works in real life. Does law enforcement contact TFL and ask if joe blow is a member? Or do they get this information from the accused and go from there?

It is my belief that many feel they can shield themselves behind a user name from someone knowing your identity. I don't believe that to be the case. It is one of the dominant reasons that I have never published a list of firearms that I own on one of these forums.
Old October 20, 2012, 02:30 PM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

LE could get info from the accused, or (perhaps) from the accused's computer. If LE gets a warrant to seize the accused's computer, they'll have their IT guys comb through it. Mind you, I'm not an IT guy, and really don't know how much info they could get from the computer, but I suspect that it is more than te accused will be comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oysterboy
If you give up your right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you.
(emphasis supplied) The A5 right to remain silent is a testimonial privilege, though. Internet postings are not covered by it. What you post on the internet may well be admissible without regard to a defendant exercising his right to remain silent.
Old October 20, 2012, 05:18 PM   #22
Oysterboy

My point is if you don't keep your mouth shut you're in for it.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:21 PM   #23
youngunz4life

Quote:
My point is if you don't keep your mouth shut you're in for it.
"A big mouth doesn't make a big man." -John Wayne
Old October 21, 2012, 05:48 AM   #24
Master Blaster 2

Im an old guy and like facebook to keep up with my family. I post on the internet. I don't plan on not posting. I have a lot of firearms and have even have had a FFL years ago. The ATF knows I have guns and they have records of the guns I have bought using a 4473. I don't really break the law other than a few speeding tickets. I have carried over 30 years and have never had to use my gun to defend myself.
The only ones who don't like my internet posts at times and do something are the moderators.
And so it goes...
Old October 21, 2012, 09:54 AM   #25
North East Redneck

Never had myspace, facebook or anything like that. Never had the desire or need for them. Pretty much a private kind of guy.
I have always believed that posts, picks etc could and would be used against people in court. Lawyers can twist things so that even if what you said was not all that bad, it will sound very bad after they get done with it.