The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 16, 2009, 06:55 AM   #26
roy reali

freedom475

Quote:
I have to add that those that preach Muzzle Energy have no clue what really kills... This is a formula for ammo manufactures to push the latest and greatest, and the clowns that run our state depts. It is complete non-sence!! Good for misleading those that have never shot an animal.
One of the best, if not the best, responses about muzzle energy. Sir, you should be nominated for next year's Noble Peace Prize.
Old October 16, 2009, 07:25 AM   #27
GeauxTide

45 is fine as long as it is a Long Colt. ACP bullets are designed with people in mind. A 250-275 Lead Flat Nose at 1000-1100fps is dandy.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:24 AM   #28
infntryblu

Location: i'm a new snow bird south in the winter north in the summer
A good 230 gr hollow point +P load within 50 Yds If you are a real good shot with your 45. I reload, so I make my 45 brass out of any case in the 3006 family. I load them hot with heavy hollow points. Tried semi wadcutters once, not up to par. You have to be a GOOD SHOT with your 45. I sometimes shoot NRA silhoutte to remain one with my Colt MK IV series 70 government model 45, customized by Frank Pachmyr.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:57 AM   #29
Shorthair

I killed this typical Michigan spike last year using a Federal 230 grain HydraShok. He weighed about 130 pounds on the hoof. Wounded by another hunter in the lower hind leg, the injury slowed him down a bit but was not at all fatal. He was getting along just fine when we pushed him into a thicket, after a 3/4 mile track. Knowing I wouldn't be able to swing my 7 mag in there, I slung it and unholstered the 1911. After pushing him back and forth a bit like a pheasant, he bolted right to left at about 10 yards. As he passed through an opening I double tapped, once in the chest, once through the gut. The round in the gut passed through, leaving massive damage and a baseball sized exit wound, the one in the chest mashed the lungs and stopped in the off side shoulder, which was recovered by the butcher. That buck took another couple of steps and went right down, it was like he got hit by a hammer.
At close range, say out to 30 yards I wouldn't hesitate to use this gun and load, but I don't recommend making a habit of going out with it as the only means to collect game.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:28 PM   #30
jgill5989

handguns huntin

i have killed 4 deer with a 44 pistol a 140 inch 9pt a 120 inch 10 point and 2 does it is plenty. All of them didnt run more than 40 yrds with an awesome blood trail. I also just bought a 45 1911 and i am in the process of making cast bullets and deer huntin with it. A 45 is plenty for a deer its the exact bullet my 4570 shoots but with just a shorter effective range.
Old February 11, 2010, 06:20 PM   #31
JessicaR

45 Carbine Conversion Kit

Another option to take deer with a .45ACP is to get a conversion kit so you make your 1911 pistol into a carbine with 16" barrel and a stock and rails for a scope. These guys have neat kits for 1911s. http://www.mechtechsys.com/
Old February 11, 2010, 06:25 PM   #32
jgill5989

the only bad thing about that is it takes the fun out of hunting with a pistol. i have two 44 carbines
Old February 11, 2010, 06:28 PM   #33
jgill5989

i have a 44 super blackhawk with a nikon monarch scope. that i killed the deer with i listed above i love pistol huntin lol jus thought a 45 acp would be somethin new
Old February 11, 2010, 07:26 PM   #34
highvel

You have to consider your limitations, just like any other caliber, and keep your shots within those limitations.
Just like a bowhunter that can hit a target at 75 yards repeatedly with an arrow; but a responsible hunter would never attempt to shot at deer at that range.
Be prepared to allow deer to walk on when they are past your short comfort zone range!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 11, 2010, 07:43 PM   #35
Big Bill

I personally wouldn't use a .45 ACP on a deer. It's not worth wounding or otherwise not making a clean kill on an animal to take a chance. Why not always use a caliber that will do the job every time?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old February 11, 2010, 09:30 PM   #36
jgill5989

With a 300 grain cast bullet an a reload a 45 acp will be more than enough to kill a deer AT 50 yards its not the caliber size its bullet weight an knetic energy with a hot reload. I have killed deer out to 90 yards with a 44 mag and cast bullets no prob even dropped one in its tracks so a 45 cast bullet reload ought to be plenty AT 50.
Old February 11, 2010, 09:43 PM   #37
Hog Hunter

I shot a 150 lb doe last year with my M&P45 shooting federal 165 hollow points at 28 yards. Knocked her down right there she got up and ran maybe 15 yards before she fell again, didnt get back up. Later on in the season i shot maybe a 200-220 lb boar hog at maybe 15 yards(didnt have time to range.) He run about 50 yards and faceplanted! Both shots were well placed, i reckon i got lucky! I use to carry this load for personal protection, but i got trigger happy a few weeks ago on a pack of hogs and shot my last 8 federals up and two winchesters. Didnt kill but one pig that just had to hang around after i shot the first time, by the way i missed the first shot
Old February 11, 2010, 10:30 PM   #38
30-30remchester

Having only shot a few head of big game with a 45 I dont have much experence, however I strongly disagree with the gentleman that suggested Winchester 185gn Silvertips. I used then once on a 100 lb antelope and had miserable results. It took 7 rounds to put it down and it finally laid down and died slowly and inhumanely. None of the bullets exited that small thin skinned animal and most stopped after just a few inches of penatration.
Old February 11, 2010, 11:13 PM   #39
XD Gunner

Quote:
Also the Corbon DPX, a light all copper bullet would also do well .Despite the light weight the all copper bullets give plenty of penetration !!
The DPX is a 185 and a +P at that! I wouldn't call them "light".

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old February 12, 2010, 10:02 AM   #40
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Back some sixty years ago, my uncle worked his cattle with an Army surplus Harley 45. "If you're not workin' it, you don't have to feed it." He didn't like horses. He had a 1911 in a GI holster that was tied to the handle bar.

From time to time, one of his little pet bucks would hang around and stare at him. So, meat in the pot. I knew he'd been casting bullets, usually just pure lead 230-grain RN. I asked him about that and his comment was, "Aw, it just sorta wraps around 'em."