The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 9, 2002, 12:50 AM   #1

NFA Survey

OK, I am trying to do my part in keeping this forum active.

Who here actually owns some type of NFA weapon ?
What are you doing with it ? Plinking, collector, reenactor, do you compete with it ?
How often do you shoot it (or them) ? Would you say that Class III stuff is your primary interest in firearms ?

Let's keep the ball rolling.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old August 9, 2002, 05:13 AM   #2
26point2

No FA yet, but I'm in the beginning stages of getting one transfered to me. I'm looking at an M-4, but I may go with a Thompson I really like. Problem w/the M-4 is finding somewhere to shoot....there is one indoor range here in MD that will let you shoot FA, but only with subgun calibers...not sure if they consider .223 a subgun caliber. I don't know about the outdoor ranges, I heard there are a couple of days out of the year where they have FA shoots. In talking with people here...I figure it's going to be about a year before I actually get it transfered after I start all the paper work.

C
Old August 9, 2002, 06:17 AM   #3
Hkmp5sd

I have:

H&K MP5SD (suppressed w/ A3 stock)
Colt M16A1 (Original configuration and M4 (Bushmaster) configuration)
M16 Suppressor
Cobray M11/9
Walther PPK w/ suppressor

I collect all types of firearms, not just NFA stuff. Primary interest is in 1860-1960 military firearms in original configuration, with special interest in WWII infantry weapons.

Shoot at least once a month with CCW carry gun and one NFA gun.

NRA Life Member
Old August 9, 2002, 06:42 AM   #4

I am also in the beginning stages of ownership. As I have mentioned I am purchasing a Sten Mk. II. Like HK, I am particularly fond of WWII infantry weapons and the Sten fits in with that. I went to my local dealer to discuss the purchase of a suppressor. He mentioned that he had the opportunity to get two transferable Stens, would I be interested. Well, of course I had thought about getting a subgun for years. So, I figured now is the time. I have paid for the gun so far. He hasn't gotten it in yet and therefore, I haven't started the paperwork yet. I am seriously considering getting a suppressed Ruger MK. II possibly as soon as next week (getting the ball rolling, not actually getting one by next week). Three reasons for the hurry. #1) I have been getting a lot of overtime at work and have the money. #2) We currently have a sheriff who will sign the paperwork without any undue BS; however the election is next month and who knows what will happen. I doubt that it will change much either way, but why take the chance ? #3) I was thinking that I could take both sets of paperwork (Sten and MKII) to the sheriff's office at once. That may be a bad idea, I don't know.
When I actually take possession of the subgun, I would like to compete in the local machine gun matches. Probably will spend most of my shooting time running through senarios similar to IPSC or IDPA. Over the years I have fired quite a few different full auto weapons including a short stint in the military, so the novelty will be in actually owning one myself and being able to enjoy shooting it in the way that I see fit. Every other FA I have fired has been under close supervision with someone telling you exactly what and how you are going to shoot it.
As far as the suppressed .22 pistol, I guess the limit is my imagination. Shooting in areas that are safe, but close to civilization. Shooting without hearing protection. Shooting at campgrounds. Whatever. .22 pistols are extremly versitile and having one that doesn't make a lot of noise only makes it more so.
Old August 9, 2002, 06:58 AM   #5
ACP230

I own three subguns. Would like to own an M2 Carbine, or a larger FA rifle. Living in a C&R only state complicates the selection process and makes the available stuff cost more.

I have shot my subguns twice this summer. The guys I get together with are scheduled pretty heavily and there are some ranges here which have "one shot per second" rules. I do plan on attending a match next month, and may get to shoot an MP5 later this month.

I like to shoot anything that goes bang so FA shooting is just an extension of my usual interest. I can have just as much fun shooting an e-mail .22 benchrest match, as running .45 FMJs through a subgun. I also like HP rifle, bowling pin and steel plate shooting, and am agitating for a three gun match at one of the clubs I belong to.
Old August 9, 2002, 07:08 AM   #6

I forgot to mention that as far as I know, here in Nevada we can own any NFA weapon we can afford as far as I know. We are also blessed with as much room to shoot them as you could ever want. Thousands of miles of uninhabited land. No indoor range or club here. Just go out and shoot whatever you want. As far as you want. Just to give you an idea of what I am talking about; "They" exploded a neuclear bomb right on the other side of the moutains near my house at Mercury Nevada. If they can explode an A-Bomb there, there won't be a whole lot of danger in me firing a 9mm on full auto.
Old August 9, 2002, 10:18 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Situation here is kind of in-between, as far as places to shoot

I have two fairly handy places to shoot full auto--I have pretty much free run of one friend's ranch west of the city, and he doesn't mind anything we shoot there, because he knows we are careful about keeping everything on the berm. Only have about 240 yards, though, so the use of automatic rifles and belt-feds is a little limited.

If we're having a "class 3 get together," I usually phone Communications and let 'em know what's happening, in case any newly-moved-in neighbors call.

The other location is a more closely-held private range, nestled amongst the lake bottoms, and it is limited to about 100 yards.

It is not difficult to own FA guns here, and the local attitudes are friendly. I began writing about THAT aspect, but it will probably better be the subject of a new thread.

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old August 9, 2002, 03:19 PM   #8
MrPink

I definitely have most of my gun money tied up in class 3 stuff:

- Colt AR-15, model 614 with a second Colt A1 shorty upper
- Gemtech M4-96D suppressor
- Vector Arms UZI
- Gemtech Mossad suppressor
- John Norrell 10/22 with STW in-barrel suppressor
- Just in - second VA NIB UZI, currently a keeper for when the first UZI is all shot out
- In-process - Colt M16A2, like new. Already have a new flattop shorty upper and and M4A1 upper for it. Like the second UZI, a keeper for when the 614 is all shot out.

Currently pining for a belt-fed (MG-42) or Thompson.

I shoot the 614, UZI and 10/22 quite a bit. Mostly paper, steel plates, bowling pins and clays. No competition near me. With the 10/22, it is easy to shoot 2k rounds in a weekend.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"

Last edited by MrPink; August 9, 2002 at 04:59 PM.
Old August 9, 2002, 04:15 PM   #9

Man, I would love to have one of those 10/22s I remember desperately trying to buy one of those when they were being made, but I was newly married and had a dead end job. I still may get one at some point.

A local here has an MG42. He leaves a pile of brass that is hard to believe. That is the perfect belt fed since the cost of milsurp 8mm is so reasonable.
Old August 9, 2002, 05:08 PM   #10
MrPink

The Norrell 10/22 conversion is tops. I shoot the most rounds thru that gun. In John Norrell's words - "slicker than snot" and he is right. I bought mine from him, new, a few years ago - he still periodically will release a new transferable (he has a stash of sears), so keep your eyes on sturmgewehr.com.

There are guys that have many hundreds of thousands of rounds thru their guns with no reported wear to the sear. The gun needs to be kept well cleaned and lightly oiled to keep humming. With a cyclic rate of upwards 1300RPM it can get a bit fussy with a tight Volquartsen match chamber.

I have the button selector (little button on the stock trigger). If the trigger pack is installed in an otherwise stock 10/22, it is a pure sleeper gun.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old August 12, 2002, 11:36 AM   #11
Snake Jenkins
Registration in progress

Since SC became a class 3 state I am looking for a good '28 Navy Modle Thompson and a M2 carbine.

Snake
Old August 12, 2002, 11:42 AM   #12
MrPink

Snake,

Have you checked out autoweapons.com? He has an excellent Colt Navy overstamp there for about $23k. Also lists some M2s. Tends to be a little pricey but has nice stuff.

Old August 12, 2002, 03:31 PM   #13
Snake Jenkins
Registration in progress

Like you said good looking stuff, but pricey!!!

Snake
Old August 13, 2002, 02:01 AM   #14
Benton

My NFA items are limited to an SWR integrally suppressed Ruger MKII, plus an Advanced Armament Corporation Scarab .22 suppressor that is in transfer. After getting my first silenced firearm, I don't know how I got by without it. It is so perfect for plinking (my main activity) because the sound annoys no one and my head doesn't have to cook and throb under the pressure of earmuffs.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a Vector Uzi. My full auto interests, however, are tempered by the cost of feeding the magazines.
Old August 13, 2002, 08:27 AM   #15
MrPink

Benton,

Feeding a VA UZI can be relatively cheap if you buy your ammo in bulk. I have bought 5k rounds of IMI 9mm for $160/k.

Be aware that VA UZIs NIB from the factory are running out, retail prices are increasing (bought my first almost 2 years ago for $2,600 - going prices seem to be $3000-3200). Some dealers are stocking up so a NIB VA UZI may be possible in a few years, but I am sure it would cost you.

With the prices of many machine guns rising faster than the stock market is falling, I suggest you look to sell existing guns, borrow or beg to buy class 3 now.

I have an like new Colt M16A2 in process; the form 3 to my dealer isn't even done yet and the selling dealer has offered to buy it back for $500 more than I paid. With a safe queen like that, off course I said no.

Old August 13, 2002, 05:10 PM   #16
The Rock

Gemtech TPRS

In motion:
hushed Walther P22 with AAC can
Glock 19 with GSG9K from SWR

Up Next:
M11 with Bower CAC9
Uzi with Mossad
M16

TR
Old August 14, 2002, 12:33 PM   #17
JimFromFL

I for one would love for the ban to be lifted and prices come down so I too can indulge in something like a quad .50.
Old August 14, 2002, 11:50 PM   #18
ctdonath

Just have the only C3 item allowed in NY: 12 guage pistol, a Mossberg 590 AOW 14" pistol-grip-only.
Sheriff was surprised at the CLEO signoff request; in 13 years as top cop nobody ever asked him to sign that form.
County clerk was also surprised at the caliber when I had to put it on my pistol permit.
Old August 15, 2002, 02:08 AM   #19
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
County clerk was also surprised at the caliber when I had to put it on my pistol permit.
That "pistol" must be rough to stuff in an IWB holster.

NRA Life Member
Old August 15, 2002, 10:42 PM   #20
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Well, thank God I was hanging out at a Class III dealer back in early 1986. When I heard about the forthcoming ban, I had my semi auto Uzi converted by SWD in Atlanta and jumped through ATF's hoops. Thank you Floyd and Marie Thigpen...rest in peace.

I shoot my Uzi a couple of times a year. I restrict my shooting more from avoiding wear on the Uzi than from ammo prices.

I'd like to get a 1917 water cooled Browning.
Old August 17, 2002, 10:32 PM   #21
Dave Haven

I have the following NFA devices:

Haven Mark I SMG - sort of a left-handed AUSTEN Mark I - (made on an approved Form 1 in 1982)

MG-34 - purchased a parts kit from ARMEX International, made the receiver on an approved Form 1 in 1983.

MAC-10 9mm - purchased a parts kit from SWD and a bent receiver flat from some other vendor - completed the receiver on an approved Form 1 in 1984.

Sionics silencer for the MAC - purchased parts and completed on an approved Form 1 in 1984.

I wish they would lift the 1986 ban on new MGs; I'd love to build an AR-10 for my collection.

"Subs" are cool, but BELT-FEDS RULE!!!
Old November 21, 2002, 07:45 PM   #22
doc1955

NFA owership

I am new to the site. I own a 12ga.
9 1/2" AOW pump gun.
Old November 22, 2002, 11:14 AM   #23
Jake 98c/11b

I am a manager of a commercial indoor range with a SOT and I have been dealing with some manufacturers and collectors for years. Only recently have I put my own money toward NFA items, my Vector Uzi will be in my hands NLT 5 Dec 02. I have several friends who own subguns and one acquaintance who has (last I heard) 104 registered guns/suppressors, that is the guy to talk to if you want to see an impressive collection. 15+ Thompsons and quite a few Browning belt fed guns, at least 4 each 1919s and AN-M2s (.30 aircraft MGs, ROF is 1440). 2 or more .50BMG M-2s and one very early M1917 (unfired in mint condition). if that doesen't do it for you he has FALs, HKs, M16s (he made at least 12 prior to the ban) a pre 68 transferable Uzi and god only knows what else. My lone NFA transfer pales in comparison so talking about his collecion is far more interesting. In addition to our rental Uzi we have other items (rentals) coming into the shop in the near future so I am bound to add other items before long.

26point2, a 9mm upper for the M4 would open up several shooing opportunitys for you and the price of the M4 will jump if/when the Shrike makes the market. Just something to think about.
Old November 22, 2002, 12:09 PM   #24
leuthen

I have crossed the Rubicon. I started my first NFA firearm purchase 3 months ago. Looks like it will be a slow process - might have it paid off before I get to take physical possession; form 4 to form 3, to form 4 inter-state transfer. It's a US citizenship present to myself, if that process goes well too. I plan on a few more NFA firearms in the future. I also plan to shoot all my NFA purchases.
Old November 22, 2002, 04:52 PM   #25
Sleuth

Since I collect Military firearms, I have a 1928AC Thompson (West Hurley), an MP5, a 1918A2 BAR, and a 1919A4 in 30-06/7.62NATO/8mm. I also have a "can" for the MP5. Since I have a 600 yd range out the front door (It's good to live in the West), I shoot as much as I can afford. On occasion, I shoot IPSC matches with the subguns.

Leuthen, welcome to citizenship in this great country! We (or our ancestors) all came here from someplace, what country did you come from?
I HATE the fact that new citizens know more U.S. history than our high school seniors!