The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1
2solid

Guernika shotguns

Has anyone heard of the brand "Guernika"? I found a used over/under with this brand name - Imported by Cottonwood Arms Corp, St. Marys Mo. I can't seem to find anything on the internet about eather of these two companies... If it helps - this is a 29in Trap... Any help is appriciated
Old March 21, 2010, 07:19 PM   #2
oneounceload

Guernica, with a C, is a Spanish name. Somewhere on the gun should be proof marks, country of origin, etc.

Any other info you can provide would be helpful
Old March 21, 2010, 11:16 PM   #3
2solid

Thanks for the reply - I've been looking up as much stuff as I can over the last few hours... The engraved name is spelled with a K - not sure why. Barrel says this was imported by Cottonwoods Arms corp, St. Mary's MO. Can't find anything about this company as well... What I do know from researching the symbols - from other forums - There is a P.P marking that I'm guess means Aramberri Y CIA. S.A (but I've not been able to find anything about this manufacture). There are three other symbols that I've found to prove that this is a spanish shotgun. I now know the true country of origin. But I'm having trouble finding the year and other info such as is thing shotgun any good...

The top barrel says 18.5 (I'm assuming this is metric for the choke - cyl?)

The bottom barrel says 16.40, something that looks like a MOS and 18.5 again, but also says A2. From what I've been able to tell the A2 could be the stamp for the date - maybe 1981? I just don't know enough about this to truly tell...

On the other side of the barrel there are three symbols (that I was able to find) but also 1200 Kp/cm.

On the bottom side of the barrel there is the "P.P" the serial number and the number 12-76 (enclosed in a circle).

Any ideas?
. Barr
Old March 22, 2010, 12:21 AM   #4
olddrum1

Got any pictures?
I would guess that the 12/76 is gauge and length of shell.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guernica is a town in the Basque gun making area. During the Spanish Civil War it was the site of a massacre later memorialized by Picasso in a painting by that name.

Aramberri is the name of a prominent gun making Basque family and a couple companies long in the business. Quality of those brands runs from OK to very good.

HTH....
Old March 22, 2010, 10:15 AM   #6
oletymer

If you think getting info on the gun is hard wait until you need parts.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:49 AM   #7
oneounceload

The 18.5 is the mm measurement of the bore (12 gauge)

Here a chart (scroll down) for Spanish proof marks:
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

There's another one somewhere (trying to find), that shows all of the other marks and what they mean
Old March 22, 2010, 10:47 PM   #8
2solid

I'm too dumb to figure out my wife's camera. Had to work to late tonight so no pictures today. I'll post some pictures on Tuesday. The good news is we figured out the manufacturer and the country of origin. I'm also guessing this gun was manufactured in the early 80's but don't know for sure. At the end of the day I was looking for an entry level shotgun for skeet and trap. This can either be a good or great shotgun - at the price I paid it doesn't matter. It would be nice to know what the choke is and if I can use different types of chokes... Any suggestions? You guys have been very helpful so why stop now?
Old March 23, 2010, 09:02 AM   #9
oneounceload

From what you have said, it would appear to be a fixed choke.

The kp/cm is their metric equivalent of a pressure rating.

The 12-76 in a circle is showing it to be a 12 gauge with 76 mm chambers or 3".

If you want to change the chokes, you will have two choices. First, after determining exactly what they are, you can have the chokes opened up to something different. otherwise, the other route is to have a competent company like Briley or Carlson's or similar, thread the barrel for choke tubes
Old March 23, 2010, 11:08 AM   #10
PetahW

IMHO, It would make a good entry-level shotgun - but only for occasional hunting use, and not something that would submit it to heavy use like trap/skeet.

For that sort of pounding, I would rather spend $700 on a used Ruger O/U anvil, than throw whatever $$$ away on a gun that WILL break, then be problematic to find parts for/fix.

Old July 22, 2012, 02:53 AM   #11
jonnymate

The shotgun you refer to was made by AYA of Spain. It was one of 3 samples made for the Webley company in the UK in about 1980. The project was never taken forward. This was the only o/u sample. The other 2 were s/s.
Old July 22, 2012, 03:22 AM   #12
TheKlawMan

If it is a one of a kind, might it be worth something?

Tags
aramberri , cottonwood arms , guernika , shotguns , spanish shotguns