The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 20, 2001, 12:42 AM   #1
taco

I was asked by a non-shooting friend why police uniform leather gear have that "funny pattern"? The "funny pattern" being basketweave pattern. I really didn't know the answer but I told him the pattern hides scratches better. Was I close? Anybody here know the real reason?
Old February 20, 2001, 12:47 AM   #2
ReserveCop

I believe it is for "look" purposes only (i.e. it just looks good).

Some agencies use different, non-basketweave, designs (for example: plain, high-gloss and even Nylon).

I'm not aware of any functional value of the "basketweave" design.

I still have my same "basketweave" duty belt issued to me 10+ years ago. I still wear it and it looks great.

Thanks.

[Edited by ReserveCop on 02-20-2001 at 01:09 AM]
Old February 20, 2001, 01:18 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Mostly an ego trip when officers buy their own equipment, but it does have a practical purpose in that it can get scratched and beaten up without looking bad as a smooth shiny holster will.

Jim
Old February 20, 2001, 01:29 AM   #4
ReserveCop

Jim...

What's the ego trip involved here?

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Also, as far as I know, most agencies issue the duty belt to their LEO's. In other words, the LEO's have NO choice in the design whatsoever, whether it's basketweave or not.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old February 20, 2001, 01:48 AM   #5
Jager1

Less reflection

than smooth leather.
Old February 20, 2001, 01:50 AM   #6
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Ego trip? For basketweave?

Bloody hell, you don't want to see my Sunday gear, then.

The high-gloss leather, and for that matter the plain leather, take a nasty beating in normal day-to-day activity. The rubbing of the seatbelt buckle, keys, flashlight head, baton, banging into walls and doorframes, leaning against cinderblock, hitting fast-food table tops -- all of these quickly scratch unembossed leather pretty badly.

Basketweave gives a professional look, that hides day-to-day damage better than the plain stuff.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old February 20, 2001, 01:52 AM   #7
jadams951

Gotta agree with Reserve Cop on this one. The majority of the agencies, at least around here, issue each LEO their duty belt. I have to agree it's because it looks good. We are issued the "high gloss" duty belts and I hate them. Granted they do look great but one good scuffle and it's scratched up as can be. If I had my choice it would be an Uncle Mike's nylon duty rig. Don't have an ego trip at all when it comes to that Sam Browne. How funny....ego trip!!!!!!! Well, anything is possible maybe some officers do get an ego trip over the basketweave. But, for sure, not anyone I work with.
Old February 20, 2001, 02:04 AM   #8
ReserveCop

a side note...

I recently attended a large LE convention with about 100+ vendors.

I would say the trend in LE duty gear is Nylon that looks like leather (featuring the basketweave "ego trip" design in most cases).

I believe many LEO's want to go to Nylon (light weight, etc.), but most agencies want a more "formal" look for their patrol LEO's (however, most tactical and specialty units...Marine, K-9, Aviation, etc...already use Nylon duty gear).

Therefore many firms are starting to offer their Nylon in a more leather-like look.

Just my 2 cents.
Old February 20, 2001, 10:29 AM   #9
BigG

Jim: If you think that's an ego trip...

I wonder what you'd say if you saw my undercover concealment rig boasting hand tooled flower carved buscadero styling with dual 90% coverage Colt 45 Autos with ivory grips with inlaid cougars with ruby eyes!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old February 20, 2001, 11:18 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

tradition

Most agencies I know of have had black basketweave gear for years. It began when agencies dropped the cross draw holster which was worn with the below the waist length uniform jacket (you're old if you remember those jackets) and no gun was visible. The uniform shirt came in around the '60s (just like Barney Fife) and an external holster was carried, making the gun visible. At this point, many agencies specified black basketweave (abbreviated BBW) for their officers. Thus, it was what the agencies permitted and not the individual discretion of the officer. Modernly, some agencies allow for nylon gear. This is lighter, doesn't squeak (betraying ones' presence in the dark), is lower maintenance, and best of all, is lighter.

Me, I still have a BBW belt and gear, some old, some new. My trouser belt is the same one I've worn since 1983 and was black at the buckle, but has been worn to its natural color - a true sign of a crusty veteran.

BTW, closing this thread in Handguns and moving it to Gears and Accessories.

[Edited by 4V50 Gary on 02-20-2001 at 11:43 AM]
Old February 20, 2001, 04:09 PM   #11
WalterGAII

It's to remind them daily of the hardest course that they ever took in college.