The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 3, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
stargazer65

Possessing a handgun in Florida

Florida does not recognize my CT permit or my non-resident PA permit. However, when I am in Florida, do they have any state laws prohibiting my possessing an unloaded handgun locked in a container?

Note I am not talking about the Federal statute which allows transportation through a state. I plan to be there for several days, so I can't be considered as passing through.
Old November 3, 2010, 02:18 PM   #2
g.willikers

Florida law allows Loaded guns in the car, as long as it's in a closed case, glovebox, center console, 'etc.
Doesn't even have to be a locked case, just closed and latched or zipped.
Even a holster that requires some kind of physical action to remove the gun qualifies.
But only in the car, not walking around with it.
No restrictions in your hotel room or house.
No open carry, yet.
The land of the free, almost.

Last edited by g.willikers; November 3, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old November 3, 2010, 03:04 PM   #3
stargazer65

That shows the difference in thinking between people like me from New England and people in the more reasonable South. I originally assumed that just because I couldn't legally CCW in Florida, I couldn't have a gun in my personal property at all. Which is the case in CT with handguns, if it's not in your house you can't have it without a permit, loaded, unloaded doesn't matter. I could be arrested just for having an unloaded handgun in the trunk of my car without my permit even if it was brand new, in the box, unloaded and never used.

It's a paradigm shift for me to think that a state allows something that I haven't gotten explict permission for via the required forms, fees, training, and wait. I just realized this today, it's interesting and somewhat sad, I've been brainwashed by my environment into a false assumption.
Old November 3, 2010, 07:39 PM   #4
highvel

A number of years ago their crime rate and attacks on tourists were getting out of control, crime rates have fallen since easing firearms restrictions, of course!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 3, 2010, 08:06 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not only loaded but round chambered!
You can literally have a holstered gun stuck 'tween the seat and console or under the seat... It can be ANYWHERE EXCEPT ON YOUR PERSON in the vehicle!
If on your person you MUST have the permit.

The only caveat is it must not be readily visible! Something about inciting fear...

Brent
Old November 5, 2010, 08:00 PM   #6
bubba15301

get a florida non resident license.then you wont have to worry about it
Old November 5, 2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Jimmy10mm

Quote:
The only caveat is it must not be readily visible! Something about inciting fear...
I believe they call it 'reckless display of a firearm', but I might be wrong.
Old November 6, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Don P

Some of the folks are correct and some are ill informed. FLA law states you may have the gun it the vehicle loaded and it must be in a compartment with the lid/door closed. As stated console/glove box. In a holster under the seat is in violation of FLA law unless it is a snapped holster. This gentleman's book is a wealth of information,
http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/ I do recommend this book
you can also look at the states web site here,http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

and here the state firearm statutes,http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...tring=firearms
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; November 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM.