The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 6, 2013, 07:35 AM   #26
Brit

New gun buyer need help! Glock 19 Vs Sig p226!

The title? That was easy, then you change to Glock 17? Not so easy.

First, are you going to carry your pistol to protect your life?
Old April 6, 2013, 01:39 PM   #27
Merad

Quote:
My dad owns plenty of guns and i have shot before, but im in college and want something cheap to shoot that is reliable and very accurate. I am a target shooter and would eventually like to be able to point and shoot, which i heard is what the glocks are good at doing but im sure can be done with any gun with practice. So here are my questions..p.s. im leaning more towards the Sig p226 at the moment. This is not for carry or defence, simply target and range/look pretty.
Based on the bolded part I would say you should be looking at something like a Ruger MkIII...

But, between a Glock and Sig, speaking as someone who owns both:

Both are extremely reliable.
Both are lots of fun to shoot.
Both are way more accurate than you're likely to be (both are way more accurate than I am).

All things considered, I'd get the Glock. If you're buying both new, the cost to get the Sig is going to be about $200 more for a basic model P226. If you're getting something like a Mk25 probably make that $4-500 more. That amount of money will buy a lot of 9mm. Also, in the very likely event that you get interested in carrying, the G19 will give you a very viable option for carry. The Sig, well, not so much.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:00 PM   #28
dgludwig

Quote:
A big difference is the safety. Thumb safeties have pros (an extra step in firing makes some people feel safer) and cons (if you need it in a hurry for defense and you don't remember the safety, how safe does the safety make you?) so it is up for you to decide.
The op said that he was trying to decide between the SIG Model 226 and the Glock Model 17; in which case, neither pistol has an external safety lever to contend with.

As others have acknowledged, there are so many differences between the two pistols under consideration that it behooves the buyer to know exactly what features he/she wants (or doesn't want) when deciding. They are both excellent pistols and the differences in configuration and design doesn't necessarily mean one is inherently "better" than the other but it might mean that one is better for an individual shooter.
Personally, for self-defense use, I much prefer a "traditional" double-action trigger (a preference most likely fostered by my training and experience with it). I don't like Glock-style, striker-fired triggers (an aversion most likely predicated on my admittedly little experience with them). And, whereas I don't believe that the Glock trigger is an unsafe design, I do feel that it is an "unforgiving" construct.
But since the op said that he is chiefly a target shooter and that the pistol he eventually gets will not be "... for carry or defense, simply target and range/look pretty...", but wants it "reliable and very accurate", I'd suggest he consider getting a single-action pistol like the model 1911, chambered in 9mm (as opposed to the .45 ACP), because he wants "something cheap to shoot".
Old April 6, 2013, 04:02 PM   #29
fragtagninja

I have a P229 and love it. 250 rounds down range and no hiccups. I have even shot it in some pretty sandy environments. Both great guns The glock is likely a better value, but my 229 eats anything I feed it so I would not discourage you from the 226 either. Honestly if price is no matter. Get the one you think looks cooler because they both rock.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:07 PM   #30
Brit

When you decide on being armed all the time, every day carry so to speak.

You can not say things like "I don't live in Ghetto" or "We do not have flash mob's around here"

Because all criminals can get to where you IS!

So you need the most reliable, highest capacity pistol you can conceal!
Old April 6, 2013, 04:27 PM   #31
manta49

If you like a plastic framed firearm go for the Glock if you like steel go for the SIG.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:37 PM   #32
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49 View Post
If you like a plastic framed firearm go for the Glock if you like steel go for the SIG.
Most SIG's are in fact alloy framed though.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:58 PM   #33
cochise

Very intersting post and I enjoyed reading the responses. About 15 years ago, I went to buy a new 9mm to supplement my BHP. I could not decide between a Sig 226 and a Glock 17.

I did buy both

I shot better with the Glock but I prefered the ability to cock the Sig if I had a failure to fire in the 226.

End of the story...................My son liked the Browning, my daughter liked the Glock and I replaced the trigger "spring" for her, and my wife flat out took the Sig from me, ( installed night sights).

I am back to my 1911 now. By the way, is NOT a bad choice.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:01 PM   #34
manta49

Quote:
OK if you want to be pedantic. If you want a plastic framed firearm go for a GLOCK if you want a metal firearm go for a SIG that's made of metal. Example. The SIG Sauer P226 ST was a limited production all-stainless version of the SIG P226 pistol. It is heavier than a standard P226 because the frame was made of stainless steel instead of aluminum.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:55 PM   #35
TXAZ

Purchased both. Both are well made weapons, each has their own cadre of fans (and detractors).
I find the grips on the two very different, the recoil different and the general feel of the weapons are very different.
In general I like the feel of the Sig much better, and didn't see the price difference as an issue.

If you have a nearby gun club or range that has both, or friends with these weapons, take the time to run 100 rounds down both, at the same session. It's the best way to evaluate them.

good luck!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 6, 2013, 07:54 PM   #36
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:

OK if you want to be pedantic.
Pedantic? Constantine was exactly right. Facts are what they are. There's nothing "pedantic" in what he said.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:04 PM   #37
odugrad

Here's a question: being new to Sigs, what are the two small holes toward the rear of the slide? I've noticed some guns have them on the top of the slide, some on the side. But what are they?
Old April 6, 2013, 09:51 PM   #38
kozzmo1

i second odugrad's question, what are those 2 holes for? Any purpose of them?
Old April 6, 2013, 10:59 PM   #39
iMagUdspEllr

1) This is a matter of which type of action/trigger-type you prefer. Do you want a consistent 5.5 lb trigger pull or a 10 lb DA pull followed by 4.5 lb SA trigger pulls? I, personally, like consistency. Its important for building muscle memory. Not to mention it is much easier for people to shoot when they aren't struggling with a 10 lb DA trigger (for the first shot only... but its still your first shot).

2)I think you should buy either gun new. No reason to buy a used one just to discover the previous owner screwed something up on the pistol (whether it is cosmetic or not).

3)Glock 19 because Glocks are one of the most reliable guns ever made. That isn't to say that Sigs aren't reliable. They definitely are. They just cost double. The Sig is heavier so it will have less recoil, though.

4) I don't know why you are comparing the P226 to th G19. You should be comparing the P229 to the G19. I would choose the Enhanced Elite P229(6).

5)I haven't seen any data that suggests one is definitely more accurate than the other. The P226 has a longer sight radius so it will be easier for you to be accurate with it (but then you should be comparing it to a G17 at that point). The P226/9 are all steel so you will be able to hold the pistol steadier (when things are heavier they tend to not move around as much). The single-action trigger on the P226/9 is very nice and will make it easier to be accurate with also (don't forget that you have to deal with the 10 lb double-action trigger first).

Note that all of these properties just make it easier for you to do what you are supposed to be doing. There isn't anything that indicates that the actual barrels are more or less capable of making tight groups with either pistol.

6) The Sig would be worth the extra money for the reasons I have stated if it weren't for being a DA/SA gun. But, that is just my personal bias. Having to master two different trigger pulls and one of them being a 10 lb DA trigger pull for double the price does not appeal to me. Many people don't care, though. Many people have either mastered the DA trigger pull or are content with ripping through that first trigger pull since ultimate accuracy isn't paramount at common self-defense distances (I prefer to be as accurate as possible with every shot... just me, though).
Old April 6, 2013, 11:06 PM   #40
IMightBeWrong

I've gone through 5 Glocks. A 17, 2 26s, a 19, and a 23. I've had 2 SIGs. I had a P228 that I sold and I still have a P226 which is actually my carry pistol. It's quite a bit heavier and clunkier to carry, but with a good holster it can be done - and comfortably, too, in my experience. Out of all of those pistols, the ONLY one I regret selling is the P228. If I could get that one back again I would do so in a heartbeat. Wonderful pistol. For my taste, in a totally different class than Glock, and I love Glock. You're really comparing very different pistols here. Totally different in weight, totally different in size, totally different in action, all they have in common is being semi-automatic 9mm pistols. That said, I would rather pack a full sized fighting pistol with SIG quality at the expense of some extra weight than a Glock like I did in the past. And I do.

As a note, I use a Garrett Industries IWB Silent Thunder holster that I canted forward at around 3 o'clock. Very comfortable ride. A good holster is needed to carry a pistol like the P226.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:08 PM   #41
iMagUdspEllr

The pin located near the rear of the slide on the Sig P226/9 is the firing pin positioning or retaining pin. It holds the firing pin in the proper position in the slide.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:19 AM   #42
manta49

Quote:
Pedantic? Constantine was exactly right. Facts are what they are. There's nothing "pedantic" in what he said
OK i changed it to a metal just to keep everyone happy. Just in case anyone is still not sure what i meant. If you want a Sig with a alloy frame and steel slide go for a Sig with a alloy frame and a steel slide. If you want a all steel Sig go for the one that's all steel.

Quote:
Glock 19 because Glocks are one of the most reliable guns ever made.
I have not found them to be any more reliable than a number of handguns i have owned over the years.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:05 AM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
Pedantic? Constantine was exactly right. Facts are what they are. There's nothing "pedantic" in what he said.
You're my boy blue. You're my boy.

So OP, it boils down to personal reference. Both are never meant to let you down. Both are highly reputable. Opinions are like........opinions, everyone has one. Some don't fall in your favor to which you keep dormant in your mind.

Now that you've read all this, that decision you kinda already knew you wanted..get it.

Unless of course this thread actually worked in swaying your caravan of thinking.

One rule though, you HAVE to show and tell us what you went with. With pictures too. thank you.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:57 AM   #44
BerdanSS

1st:

OP have you shot of handled BOTH of these pistols? You should before taking mine or anyone's advice. This is a Coke vs Pepsi discussion, both sides will most likely love theirs with out compromise.

2nd:
I actually don't care for either of them all that much. And while I don't currently own either, I've shot (and owned) various generations and models of both.... extensively....sometimes side buy side for comparison. I always shoot better with the G17s. Especially rapid fire on multiple targets.

But I feel the 226 (in exception to the 220) is the best sig has to offer. That being said, while they are perfectly reliable pistols, and more than accurate enough for what they are designed for (I'm probably gonna get slammed for this) The sigs always feel like a very poor (cheap) attempt of a Beretta knock off. Can't explain that, it's just the first thing that pops in my head every time I pick one up. I think it may be the trigger and release lever, maybe They sigs also feel to tall above the grip for me, somewhat like a short piece of 2x4 mounted to a pistol grip.

And I do NOT like the decocker on the sigs....at all.
Old April 7, 2013, 11:34 AM   #45
iMagUdspEllr

@Manta49:Glocks (and Sigs) have a long history in military, law enforcement, and civilian hands. Other designs either don't have as long of a history or don't have as broad of a usage.

I like M&Ps and I think they are just as reliable as Glocks. However, I have only ever seen a Sig or a Glock in an operator's holster (mostly Glocks these days). So, even though many designs (like the M&P) might actually be just as reliable, they don't have the history and broad usage (data) to prove it (at least not as thoroughly as the Sigs or Glocks).

But, I can definitley make the argument that a Glock is just as reliable as a Sig and the Glock is half the price.

@Berdan SS: I don't understand what makes you feel that the Sigs are a Beretta knock-off.

Beretta:
-Slide mounted safety (leads to the safety being engaged after clearing a malfunction or after chambering a round...dead trigger)
+Low bore axis

Sig:
-High bore axis (not too bad because Sigs are all metal so there isn't much free recoil energy available to amplify the high bore axis problem... but Berettas don't have this problem at all)
+No safety

This is subjective, but every Sig I have tried has a smoother and crisper trigger than every Beretta I have tried. The decocker on the Sig is a no-go for me because I'm left handed. But at least I don't have to worry about accidentally engaging my safety and ending up with a dead trigger like on the Beretta.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #46
manta49

Quote:
@Manta49:Glocks (and Sigs) have a long history in military, law enforcement, and civilian hands. Other designs either don't have as long of a history or don't have as broad of a usage
Yes i know and if i had a choice between a SIG or a Glock i would have the SIG every time. They are used here by the SAS if they are good enough for them it says something about the quality of the firearm. A lot of police forces use the Glock because its functional and more importantly cheap.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:27 PM   #47
iMagUdspEllr

@Manta49: Why would you buy a Sig over a Glock every time? Just curious. I think it would be enlightening for the OP.

I choose the Glock over the Sig every time because I don't have to deal with learning a long 10lb DA trigger pull and a 4.5lb SA trigger pull. I just have to learn a 5.5 lb trigger pull. The Glock is lighter, which means more recoil (but in 9mm that isn't really saying much... plus the Glock's lower bore axis helps compensate for that) but a more comfortable gun to carry. And, the Glock is half the price (but it isn't "cheap").

If they made the Sig without a DA trigger pull I would pick it over the Glock because it would be just as simple to use and just as easy to shoot (and the trigger would be sweeter with less recoil... but the gun is heavier). Its harder to shoot DA, transition to SA and then finish the magazine then it is to just have the same trigger pull every time.

Why do you like the Sig over the Glock?
Old April 7, 2013, 03:37 PM   #48
manta49

Quote:
@Manta49: Why would you buy a Sig over a Glock every time? Just curious. I think it would be enlightening for the OP
A Lot of its down to personal preference he would really need to try both firearms before choosing both will get the job done. The first issue is i prefer metal handguns and like SA/DA handguns and don't like the trigger on the glock. My favorite is my CZ75 SP01 and in my opnion is a good as the SIG and not as expensive.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:49 PM   #49
iMagUdspEllr

@manta49: I really like the CZ75s also. I like that you can modify them (with parts from the factory!) to be either decocker only or have a safety. So you can use them like a Sig or you can install the safety on them and carry them condition one like a 1911. They have a lower bore axis than Sigs and they are all metal to boot!

@kozzmo1: Do you want a compact or a full-size pistol? What you want to use this pistol for will help answer that question.
Old April 7, 2013, 04:20 PM   #50
arch308

I own both a P226 and G17. I really love them both. I think the P226 would make a better range gun as the trigger is a bit sweeter. But if I had to chose one over the other I would go with the G17 for one reason, simplicity and ease of maintainence.
Both are great guns. Shoot both side by side if you can before deciding.

And why is it that people start promoting guns the OP didn't ask about?

Tags
glock 19 , need help , new buyer , range shooting , sig sauer p226