The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 19, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Rifleman1776

Why are EER scopes not more popular?

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I had an opportunity to hold and sight a rifle equiped with an EER scope. What a revelation. Wow! Normally, I have never been able to sight with both eyes open but it came very naturally with this (Leopould) scope on a Cooper style Scout rifle. That allows having awarness of a wide field around your target. And, for me, knowing you won't get slammed in the face from your scope is a big plus. This was a eye opener (excuse the pun ) for me. Only way to go now, IMHO. Why are they not the standard?
Old September 19, 2012, 10:43 AM   #2
emcon5

Because they are different, and different=scary
Old September 19, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Scorch

EER scopes have a narrow window to see through, and tend to be lower power than many people think they need. I think they are great on the proper rifle.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
L_Killkenny

Different doesn't equal scary, it equals different. Personally I have no need for one and believe the benefits are vastly over rated. I shoot both eyes open using traditional scopes. I use moderate to low powered scopes and if more shooters did and actually tried they would find themselves able to shoot with both eyes open too. But alas they think they need uber amount of magnification and have developed bad habits over the years so they have problems. Also, extended eye relief = smaller field of view in the scope and a darker image so there are a couple strikes against them. But lastly, moving scopes forwards takes extra work in the manufacturing arena which = higher dollars. EER scopes are less popular which = higher dollars. Basically it equals more coin out of my pocket for a concept I neither need nor want.
Old September 19, 2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Jimro

This is an impossible question to answer.

A better question would be, "Given the a choice between standard and EER scopes, why has the market chosen standard?"

EER scopes are nothing new, the Germans were using them on K98's to good effect in WWII. But, whatever perceived advantage EER scopes have, they haven't translated into better sales and support.

And in the market place, perception is often the reality behind what sells.

Jimro
Old September 19, 2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Picher

A regular rifle scope eyepiece is shielded from sun and other light by the user's hat brim. I see better in most conditions with a regular scope. Also, the regular scope seems better protected over the receiver and the rifle seems to carry better for me. If mounted on the barrels of some rifles, it may have to be mounted higher, and may catch on branches in the woods.

On lever-action rifles, the EER scope makes it easier to avoid or correct feeding jams.

One good thing about an EER scope is that the hunter isn't as likely to breathe on the eyepiece lens in colder weather, icing or fogging the lens.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
jmr40

Most coventional scopes have too little eye relief and too much power. Most guys are used to using a 3-9X scope with 3" of eye relief. It is difficult to use fast and with both eyes open.

Use something with a 1-4X or 2-7X that has 4" or 5" of eye relief mounted conventionally and it will be just as fast to use as the EER scopes,while keeping both eyes open, without all of the disadvantages.

Their only real advantage is on levers that eject straight up, or with bolt rifles where you want to load with stripper clips.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:58 AM   #8
HiBC

We put an express rib on a .375 Taylor,it was .500 wide.Then we cut a dovetail in it to take the old Kimber/Warne rings and scout scoped it.If a person needed to switch to iron sights,the scope comes right off.Military safety was retained'They carry nice,you can put your hand around the balance point of the rifle.

We did some rolling tire shooting with it right after it was built,I was impressed by how fast it was.

I agree some don't like it just because it looks different.Some folks have an idea what a gun is supposed to look like and anything else is wrong.