The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 25, 2007, 01:48 PM   #26
robc

"... if we kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock us up and throw away the key."

"I said gophers, not golfers!"
Old July 25, 2007, 02:32 PM   #27
Thunderhawk88

I have shot several with CCI .22 CD rounds, used poison bait, live traps, and now am using traps I got at home depot. Set the trap, put it in their hole and wait. (Just make sure you tie the trap to a stake so they don't crawl away with it)
Old July 25, 2007, 02:38 PM   #28
9mm1033

If you haven't shot it yet, go to Home Depot and purchase the flare-like poison gas fuse/bomb. It's yellow and @ 6" long. Keep in mind, groundhogs have an entrance and exit hole nearby. Cover one, light the fuse bomb and stick it in the hole letting the smoke engulf the burrow. Be sure to cover the buried lit end of the fuse with dirt, because it does stink real bad. My experience hunting those PITA varmints is they pop out in the morning and more in the evening around dust.
Old July 25, 2007, 04:25 PM   #29
USP.40

Think my 870 would be a better choice than the 30-06? I just figured if I had to stalk the bugger than I could sit farther away than with 30-06 than the 870. I just bought the 90-Two so my fun budget is gone for the month.

Section 13. That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...
Old July 25, 2007, 06:41 PM   #30
Mainah

You haven't described her property. Are there other houses around? If so I'd go with the 870.
Old July 25, 2007, 09:41 PM   #31
gdvan01

Quote:
.30-06 vs. groundhog...something tells me you will win that battle.
Everytime. I dispatched one during deer season many years ago after an entire day of not seeing any deer. 100 yards, .30-06, 180gr. bullet, buh-bye groundhog.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old July 26, 2007, 02:11 PM   #32
Bob F.

Just shoot the blooming thing! Bang! You're done! No chemicals, no electricity, no trip wires, no nukes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Course, thing you could cook him up real nice with some veggies and gravy!

Stay safe.
Bob
Old July 26, 2007, 04:52 PM   #33
banditt007

snare trap right above the hole. all said and done no problem. and if its young, get to skinnin'...personally i havent eaten one but people say the young ones taste like pork/are good. go for it.
Old July 26, 2007, 11:15 PM   #34
TCman

the most humane way to kill the rodent would be to ahoot it, but you could also use a 220 conibear trap. I have used them to rid a friends pond of muskrats. They are instant kill!
Old July 27, 2007, 08:20 PM   #35
elrod

I betcha if you just go up there and hollar down the hole that youa waiting up there with an '06, the critter'll just expire from heart failure, and you won't have to mess with all that poison gas, or gasoline explosions, or none of that dangerous stuff!
Old July 27, 2007, 11:09 PM   #36
Fat White Boy

Licensed to kill Varmints. Varmint Cong...
Old July 27, 2007, 11:56 PM   #37
Scorch

Quote:
people say the young ones taste like pork/are good
I fell for that old story once. Got a nice fat young rockchuck, skinned it, seasoned it just like this old guy told us to, and roasted it. You could have rendered 20 lbs of fat off of that 12 lbs rockchuck!! It was the greasiest thing I ever got close to! I think it would have burned like a candle if you lit it with a flame! And it tasted just so-so, but real greasy. Never again!!
Old July 28, 2007, 12:58 AM   #38
Playboypenguin

I can't believe noone has linked this video to this thread yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40
Old July 28, 2007, 01:52 AM   #39
Mat, not doormat

Shoot it, skin it, brine it, bbq it. 'nuff said

~~~Mat
Old July 28, 2007, 06:33 AM   #40
12-34hom

mutant groundhog

How bout trapping it - with a live cage - groundhogs are very curious animals ie = easy to catch - then turning it loose in a remote area.

I know being "charged" by a groundhog is a life altering event.... - but killing it for kicks and giggles seems rather silly - for the problem presented.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old July 28, 2007, 09:31 AM   #41
Moloch

Use chlorine gas, that green gas was used in WW1 to kill enemies in their trenches because it was heavier than air. It is very aggressive and burns lungs and airways extremely fast. Dont breathe it, after some minutes dump water into the hole to ''disarm'' the chlorine gas and fill the hole with earth.

DONE!
Old July 28, 2007, 10:17 AM   #42
kybriarbuster

hog

i live along the ohio river and there are many hogs and when in a place on the floodwall unsafe to shoot the corp. of enginers go to napa and get a road flare. ignite and push as far as possible into the hole. no gas please!!! the sulpher smell from the flare will agitae the hog and he leaves the den and will never return. sam
Old July 30, 2007, 07:39 PM   #43
T. O'Heir

"...and shot at close range may just ignite..." Don't be daft.
Knew a woman who dealt with ground hogs with a spade. However, if the lady has a 9mm and can shoot it well enough, that'll do.
If you start using stuff like chlorine gas, you will be arrested. It's illegal in most places.
Old August 3, 2007, 04:58 PM   #44
Neophyte1

Let me know

All the Above: Please let me know when-where and I'll figure out how.

I WANT TO WATCH

[from a distance]

Ya'll folks aint right

Grandmother always said [from a distance] and I got the SCARS to prove it.

Craig
Old August 4, 2007, 04:45 AM   #45
Picher

I hunted chucks with a .30-06 for years as practice for deer season. We used 125 grain handloads, but I also tried the .22/06 Accelerators and they were quite effective. POI is a bit off though.

I knew a farmer who used gasoline-soaked rags stuffed down both holes. The fumes would drive them out or kill them, usually kill. That way, the gasoline isn't enough to harm groundwater and poison the well. That would tend to drive the woman out.

Picher
Old August 4, 2007, 05:37 AM   #46
grey sky

We had a rat infestation around the chicken coop when I was a youngster.
Dad droped a 4th of july 10 cent smoke bomb down there hole we could see puffs of smoke all around the area never saw another rat.

Last edited by grey sky; August 4, 2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old August 4, 2007, 10:43 PM   #47
solocam

.22 and some patience he will be gone!!! I know of a few ole boys around here that use a 12 gauge trap for moles, the trap is home made and consists of a piece of tube steel the size needed for a 12 gauge shell to sit in? it's set up on a spring system when the mole pushes up the earth there is a plate at the bottom of the trap and this is pushed up and releases a sprung loaded pin that nails the primer, when the trap is set the farmer puts a 5 gallon bucket over the trap, when he hears a boom he likely has a mole, and hopefully nobody's dog or cat, these are illegal to the best of my knowledge and not advisable by anyone with children or dogs around anywhere close. I honestly have seen these!
Old August 8, 2007, 02:04 AM   #48
lil_bro

What my uncle used to do for gophers(and should also work fine for ground hogs)was take a old lawn-mower, replace the muffler with a piece of 1" water pipe(the size of most mufflers)and attach a 4-5 foot long piece of that flexible metel conduit to the piece of water pipe coming out of the engine with a 1" muffler clamp.

Then all he would have to do when a gopher showed up in his yard was bury the end of the conduit in the gopher mound and start the mower and let it run at idle for about 15-20 mins.

No more gopher, or in this case, ground hog problems.

Michael.
Old August 8, 2007, 02:20 AM   #49
Old Poet

Quote:
Shoot it, skin it, brine it, bbq it. 'nuff said

~~~Mat
works for me!

ummm, good!
Old August 8, 2007, 09:33 AM   #50
tyrajam

"I told her what might work is to pour a gallon of gasoline down the hole and when it comes out shoot it with a handgun."

Darwin smiles and nods approvingly...