The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Tacalert

Transitioning from Lee Turret to Progressive Press

First, I want to say that this is not a bash LEE thread nor is it a Dillon Religion thread. I love my 4-hole turret press. I am just a a point however that I need to produce rounds at a faster pace. As such, I was wondering if anyone has had luck with using lee dies (particularly the lee powder through and expanding die with the lee powder measure) on a dillon xl650 or hornady lnl ap. Those are the two presses that I am debating on.
Old September 8, 2014, 02:48 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

I use a few Lee dies on my Dillon 550b, with Dillon measures. No problems. The 650 is an outstanding progressive, my next upgrade, due to volume production needs.

I prefer RCBS dies, but Lee is unbeatable for value when reloading stuff like. 50bmg and Martini-Henry. For standard calibers, I wouldn't let the cost of a new set sway your press choices.
Old September 8, 2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Broadly speaking, I like Dillon's dies in the progressive press as they were designed to work in one in the first place. Their sizing dies seem to squeeze down a little more than average dies. This prevents, for example, one of the thin-mouth-wall R-P .45 Auto cases from failing to size adequately to hold onto a bullet. That's a problem I've had with another die make (not a Lee, in that case). The Dillon dies also seem to have a slightly wider than average mouth radius so you are less likely to have the edge of a case mouth jam up against the edge of the die when you start the sizing cycle. However, any standard dies set can be made to work in the Dillon for cases they work with in any other press. You may just have to be a little more careful to start the cases lined up for the sizing die when sizing straight wall cartridges.

I think most folks just use the measure that comes with the press. I have not tried what you suggest, but I would expect the powder measure could be oriented to avoid interfering with the adjacent dies. Perhaps someone who's tried it will answer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 8, 2014, 03:04 PM   #4
BigJimP

To me, when you're deciding on which dies to use on a press...it comes down to the little things....

How do they come apart for cleaning... ?

Can you remove them from the toolhead...and reinsert them ...without changing all your adjustements ?
--------
I've used RCBS dies in the past and they were fine....but I've been using Dillons dies on my 650 for the last 15+ yrs with no issues either. ( a new set of carbide dies for most handgun calibers with Dillon are $ 64...so I agree, don't let the cost of a new set of dies change your impression on a press).

For what its worth - I like the Dillon powder measures on my 650.
Old September 8, 2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Machineguntony

I am a big fan of Dillon, but their 650 annoys the heck out of me.

They have a powder spill problem that renders the 650 a big PITA if you try to load small capacity cases, like 9mm or 40SW. I use my 650 to load 45ACP and 40SW, and the spill problem isn't a issue because of the big case.

For details on this issue, you can do a search and find details about the problem. Basically, the problem is that when the shell plate indexes, there is a ball bearing that 'catches' the plate when the plate arrives at the next station. This ball bearing causes the shell plate to jump into alignment with the next station. The motion causes the powder in the case to also jump out of the case.

You can find all sorts of solutions online and on youtube. I've tried them all, including the plastic ball bearing, and none of them work.
Old September 8, 2014, 04:30 PM   #6
BigJimP

I get very little, if any, powder splash on my 650 ....even in 9mm or .380...unless you use a powder that is really bulky.

It takes a few minutes to get the adjustment just right on the center bolt to eliminate the "snap"...but you can also eliminate any last little bit of "snap" that might still be there...by placing the bullet on the case by stopping just a sec between stations 3 and 4 and riding the case lightly to station 4 --- ( you have to put the bullet on the case in station 4 anyway )....

In my view, the powder check die alone....makes the 650 a very good press.
Old September 8, 2014, 04:36 PM   #7
Tacalert

Transition from Lee Turret to Progressive Press

Thank you for all of the great replies. I should have been a bit more clear.
I have been reloading for a little while now and already have LEE dies for the calibers I reload (380, 9mm, 38spl, 40sw, 44mag) As for rifle (223 & 308 I use redding comp dies).

Because I am happy with the dies that I have (they work just fine for action shooting & plinking practice), I wanted to know if anyone uses lee dies on their dillon or Hornandy LNL ammo plant.

I particularly like my lee powder measure so I wanted to know if anyone uses a lee powder through / expanding die on their dillon xl650 or hornady LNL.

Thanks guys
Old September 8, 2014, 09:28 PM   #8
dickttx

Here you go. I moved my Lee dies and Pro Auto Disk directly from my LCT to my LnL AP for 45 ACP and 38 Super. Everything works superbly. I didn't even unpack my LnL powder measure for about a year and a half. Then I decided to load 9mm on the LnL. The top that holds the dies in the LnL is considerably thicker than the LCT turret, therefore there was not enough adjustment in the dies to allow the short 9mm case to activate the PAD.
I set up the LnL measure and used it for the 9mm and it worked very well. However, the PAD works so well and is so consistent I still use it for 45 ACP and 38 Super, which is 99.999% of my reloading.
After my first 50 rounds on the LnL I stopped reloading until I got a RCBS Lock-out die. The insurance for the powder drop is very reassuring, even though on the LnL you can look down into the case to see the powder level as you set the bullet before seating.
I still have the LCT for 38/357, 41 Mag and 45 Colt because I don't use enough of them to justify buying shellplates for the LnL.
I really like my LCT, but the 400 lever pulls for 100 rounds was really getting to my shoulder. 104 pulls for 100 rounds is much nicer.

Old September 8, 2014, 10:42 PM   #9
double bogey

I recently made the same change as you, and am using the lee dies, and it is fine. However I am using the 650 powder setup.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:09 AM   #10
Technosavant

Not using a 650, but a 550. I transferred my Lee 4 die sets from my turret rotors over to the new toolheads of the 550. You have to screw those things in pretty far, but they do work. Even the powder through/expander die- even though I only use that in .357 and .44 magnum (because the powders I use for those don't play quite as nice in volumetric powder measures).

I don't know why they wouldn't work well in a 650 when they do in a 550.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:56 AM   #11
A pause for the COZ

I can and do use all my LEE dies on my LNL AP. You do have to screw them in farther, almost seems like you will run out of thread. There is enough though.
Old September 10, 2014, 01:19 PM   #12
GTOne

I only buy Lee dies unless they don't have what I need. They run perfectly in my 650.

Quote:
Broadly speaking, I like Dillon's dies in the progressive press as they were designed to work in one in the first place. Their sizing dies seem to squeeze down a little more than average dies.
I have found it the opposite on the couple sets I tried. The pistol dies have more radius at the mouth and will not size the brass as well as it should all the way down, their 9mm sizing die is notorious for this issue. I haven't tried them in rifle, but I'd expect the same nonsense.
Besides that, they are ridiculously overpriced.

Stay away from Dillon dies, unless you are a die hard fan girl of Dillon(pun intended).

Anyway, the Lee powder through die and auto disk measures work fine. The hoppers run out fast though.
Old September 11, 2014, 11:57 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

lotsa dies on lotsa heads

I use numerous brands on my XL650: LEE, Lyman, RCBS (only the 9x21), Hornady, Redding, and Dillon.
Old September 13, 2014, 05:58 PM   #14
Tacalert

Thanks guys for the help.

As a side note re: lee hopper runs out quickly, if anyone is interested, I got an email reply from Richard Lee, of Lee Precision, and he stated that while LEE was considering making a longer powder tube for its powder measure - they are working on an adapter to allow reloaders to put 1LB of powder into the hopper. He has not responded to my follow-up email asking if this was an adapter to increase the size of the powder hopper
Old September 13, 2014, 06:35 PM   #15
dickttx

What kind of powder are you using to need a larger hopper?
As shown in post #8, I use the PAD on my LnL AP. 100 rounds barely makes a dent in the hopper using HP38. I load both 45 ACP and 38 Super with 5.4 gns. If the hopper only holds 1/3 of a pound that is over 400 rounds. Since you will have to refill your primers every 100 rounds, about 10 seconds to refill your powder shouldn't slow you down very much.

Last edited by dickttx; September 13, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 17, 2014, 01:06 AM   #16
Tacalert

Response to: What kind of powder are you running to need a larger hopper?

I was just responding to a previous response stating that the powder runs out quickly [when using it with a progressive]. To be frank, i had not thought about that before, having used only a turret press. Consequently, I got curious and wrote an email to LEE. so, in reality, nothing more than curiousity.
Old September 17, 2014, 09:06 AM   #17
Real Gun

When I first got the LnL AP I used the Lee powder measure very successfully. After finally acquainting myself with the press's included powder measure I have no reason not to use it. It holds much more powder, I believe, than the brick shaped hopper I was using. It is very accurate but I use the small pistol insert and try to select powders that stay close to or exceed 5.0 gr for the greatest accuracy and consistency. Others might work, but I am following guidelines re the challenge of using small weight/volume charges.

I now own three complete Hornady Powder measure assemblies, and one lower for each caliber beyond three, mainly because I produce small batches (maybe 100) and want to preserve the PTX settings with the lower assembly and the powder measure insert size on the upper assembly. That is a luxury, because it doesn't really take much time to switch things around and verify the powder drop.