The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: In home carry or stage weapons
in home carry 75 58.59%
stage weapons conveniently 53 41.41%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 1, 2013, 12:23 PM   #101
Nickel Plated

I don't carry at home per-se. When i'm home, I'm usually in my house clothes, sweatpants and a T-shirt that kinda precludes really carrying a gun on my body comfortably. But I always keep a shotgun within arm's reach. When I go to the living room to watch TV, I take the gun with me and put it next to the couch. Go to the bedroom to use the computer, grab the shotgun, bring it with me. If I'm eating int he kitchen, the gun is there leaned up in the corner.

I don't have enough guns to be planting them all over the house. Plus leaving guns lying around the place is a good way to get them stolen in the case of a break in or getting shot with your own gun.
Old December 1, 2013, 03:29 PM   #102
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I don't carry at home per-se. When i'm home, I'm usually in my house clothes, sweatpants and a T-shirt that kinda precludes really carrying a gun on my body comfortably. But I always keep a shotgun within arm's reach. When I go to the living room to watch TV, I take the gun with me and put it next to the couch. Go to the bedroom to use the computer, grab the shotgun, bring it with me. If I'm eating int he kitchen, the gun is there leaned up in the corner.
Having grown up where you live, all I can say it wasn't that way a few decades ago - and that is a shame. If I felt I had to place a shotgun next to my dinner table, I might be looking to rethink certain things
Old December 1, 2013, 03:35 PM   #103
sigcurious

Quote:
Having grown up where you live, all I can say it wasn't that way a few decades ago - and that is a shame. If I felt I had to place a shotgun next to my dinner table, I might be looking to rethink certain things
A few decades ago, as in when crime rates were much higher in NYC, and somehow that was a safer time?
Old December 1, 2013, 05:18 PM   #104
Nickel Plated

No it really isn't that bad here. I do it mostly because I like guns and like having them around me. Not because I feel unsafe without it.

I guess I kinda overstated things in my last post. It's not like I never go anywhere int he house without the gun. If Circumstances dictate that it would be inappropriate to lug the shotgun around with me. I have no problem just leaving it in my bedroom.
Old December 1, 2013, 05:37 PM   #105
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
A few decades ago, as in when crime rates were much higher in NYC, and somehow that was a safer time?
As in SEVERAL decades ago when the neighborhood I grew up in was not one of diversity and crime was non-existent.....
Old December 1, 2013, 06:24 PM   #106
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Huge proponent of "in home carry". However, I just call it carrying 24/7. It's only off my person but in reach when I'm asleep (most times) or in the bathroom/shower.
Same here, for many years now.
Old December 1, 2013, 06:58 PM   #107
TheGoldenState

No kids.

Staged.
Old December 1, 2013, 07:52 PM   #108
Nickel Plated

Quote:
Huge proponent of "in home carry". However, I just call it carrying 24/7. It's only off my person but in reach when I'm asleep (most times) or in the bathroom/shower.
And with modern developments in weather resistant finishes, you can even stay armed in the shower.

Old December 1, 2013, 08:42 PM   #109
Garycw

In home carry or staging firearms?

Funny you should mention the shower. That's where I feel most defenseless. I turn alarm on and gun is not far away. I also make sure I don't leave one out for someone either. The druggies didn't seem so numerous, crazy and violent 20-30 years ago. All the meth labs, smoking bath salts, crockidill etc.
anything I have staged is put away even if just going to the barn and back.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:50 AM   #110
tepin

Ok - "krokodil" was a new term for me. Interesting Russian news report (in English) HERE. Sounds worse than meth or crack and based on the side effects listed in the news clip... "...krokodil deprives the body of nutrients and blood supply resulting in the slow systematic death of the user including the required amputation of limbs due to gangrene...".
I guess the only positive here is that the host system self-destructs.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:28 PM   #111
silverstang23

Yes! I keep some in "strategic" locations. I don't make a special effort to carry in the house but I keep my gun on if I'm going out of have been out.
Old December 5, 2013, 12:41 AM   #112
RBid

In home carry or staging firearms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstang23 View Post
Yes! I keep some in "strategic" locations. I don't make a special effort to carry in the house but I keep my gun on if I'm going out of have been out.
I don't make a special effort to carry at home, either. I put as much effort into carry as I put into wearing pants.
Old December 5, 2013, 12:50 PM   #113
WV_gunner

I keep a Rossi Circuit Judge loaded with Hornady LeveRevolution .45 Colts.
I do have a gun safe but not all of my guns are in it. Some are too big. I don't think there's many safes that fit a Marlin Goose Gun. Even so, a gun safe can be easily stolen, even if bolted down. Or if the thief has a grinder or sawsall it can be broken into. My Rossi is kept hidden in my bedroom. When my son gets to walking I'm making a hidden compartment in my ceiling.
Old December 6, 2013, 04:03 AM   #114
Justice06RR

This question would depend on a case-by-case basis and would differ from every person.

I am a single guy with 2 male roomates. None of us have kids and we all know there are guns at home. I "stage" my firearms mostly secured and hidden in my bedroom. We do not have visitors very often (if not at all) so there is no issue there. I store all the guns in loaded in condition 3, except the main HD gun, which is a semiauto rifle with a high capacity magazine (yes more than 30rds ) There is also a (CCW) pistol in my car which stored in a small car safe.
Old December 8, 2013, 01:59 AM   #115
peacefulgary

When I'm at home, my Ruger LCP is in my pocket till I get undressed to shower and go to sleep.
And then it is holstered beside my bed.